5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read
A sisters gift is the first book I have read by this author but I will now be reading her others I loved it.
Published on 24 Jan. 2010 by Megan Stanton

3.0 out of 5 stars A Sister's Gift
Published on 4 Feb. 2010 by Leah Graham

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 24 Jan. 2010
This review is from: A Sister's Gift (Paperback)
It was an easy book to get in to although the subject matter was very sad. It is a book full of regrets and forgiveness and it works together beautifully. The characters felt very real they all had there faults but I could see all points of view. I loved the relationship between the two sisters eventhough they did'nt always get on. If you are wanting an easy read with lots of emotion then you should read this book. It is full of big decidions from the 3 main characters if I was in there shoes I don't know what I would have done. Excellent book.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Sister's Gift, 4 Feb. 2010
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Sister's Gift (Paperback)
Hollie Hudson is happily married to husband Richard but craves one thing desperately: a baby. It's all she's ever dreamed about since she was a little girl and the fact she's incapable of having a baby is driving her to distraction. After happening upon a leaflet for a surrogate Hollie comes up with the answer to all of her problems: she'll ask her sister Scarlett to be her surrogate. Scarlett, however, is nothing like homebody Hollie and has spent a couple of years in the Amazon rainforest desperate to come up with a solution to stop the rainforest being destroyed. Once PlanetLove, the organisation Scarlett works for, is taken over by a new group, Scarlett finds herself back in England to renew her visa and to try and raise money before heading back to Brazil. After Hollie asks Scarlett to be her surrogate, Scarlett realises she could raise the money she needs sooner than she thinks... Just how far will the two sisters go to realise their dreams?

The real let down of what was, up until then, a fantastic book came about half way through and it really put me off. Hollie comes up with a crazy idea about how to conceive her dream baby and forces Richard to go along with it. The entire scene was completely off-putting and although it wasn't essentially wrong, it all felt completely wrong and forced. I did wonder if I would manage to carry on with the book but after getting past the entire ugliness of it all I did find myself getting sucked back into the book. The main theme of the book seems to be the idea of what the word charity means. For me though, instead of feeling as everything that happens is charitable I thought it was more pure selfishness. Hollie wants Scarlett to have her baby and no matter how often she denies that she feels Scarlett owes her this, that is how it actually comes across. It does seem that Hollie believes Scarlett owes her this one favour and it smacks of selfishness. Yes, there are reasons behind it all but it's still selfish. As for Scarlett agreeing to have the baby, the only reason she does this is so she can make Hollie sell the cottage they grew up in so she can help save the rain-forest. It seems that there is a thin line between charity and selfishness and I felt A Sister's Gift came under the latter category.

All in all, I really enjoyed reading A Sister's Gift. Giselle Green has opened herself up to a lot of debate/criticism over some of the things that happen in the book and although I didn't agree with what was arguably the most controversial scene in the entire book, I did still find myself enjoying the book. It's definitely a gripping book and although it is slightly similar to Jodi Picoult - the controversy and plot - it is also different - no court cases, for starters. I absolutely do recommend the book but I do attach a note of caution about the scene I mentioned above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 5 Mar. 2010
P. C. Fenton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Sister's Gift (Paperback)
This is a very moving story about how far you would go in order to attain your heart's desire. The reader can empathise with both the heroines - Hollie who yearns for a child to the point of obsession and her selfish but impulsive sister Scarlett who has her own agenda - but you know from the start that they're on a collision course. They both risk everything in their desperate attempts to reach their goals, but along the way they learn things about themselves that eventually make them stronger. The novel packs an emotional punch that hits you right in the gut. A roller-coaster ride of love, dreams, desperation, betrayal and ultimately possible redemption, it kept me enthralled from the very first page. I stayed up until the early hours of the morning to find out how it would end and when it did, the characters remained in my mind for a long time afterwards and I didn't want to let them go.

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE!!, 4 Jan. 2012
This review is from: A Sister's Gift (Kindle Edition)
It started off ok, but the characters are very 2 dimensional, unlikeable and the plot is all over the place. I couldn't bring myself to read it properly to the end, the plot was disjointed with odd asides being added throughout, and the book just stops with no ending to speak of. The main characters Scarlett and Hollie are introduced as sisters with a fragile relationship, but what then transpires between them in the quest for Hollie to use her sister as a surrogate tries to be shocking, but is just completely unbelievable and a bit of ridiculous writing. The husband is just a pathetic character, who is so in love with his wife and character is made out to be so amazing, he would sleep with his sister-in-law to get her pregnant, it was tedious to read and incredibly predictable..What a dissapointing read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and compelling, 13 April 2010
E. M. Fearon (Andalucia, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Sister's Gift (Paperback)
Having read the previous two, Giselle Green's third novel has confirmed for me that this author writes books that stay with you long after the last page has been read which is a tribute to the power of her creations. The dilemmas within A Sister's Gift, both practical and emotional, take hold of the reader from the start as they pull at our core, at the heart of our humanity - how far would you go to give your sister her dream? It is a rollercoaster of a read, as the many strands of the story are woven together with tight precision and unrelenting tension. This is an author who is not afraid to confront the deepest of our emotions. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Story. Couldn't stop reading!, 10 Aug. 2012
This review is from: A Sister's Gift (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book I have read by Giselle Green and I really enjoyed it. When I bought it I didn't know much about the story line and I definitely feel this is the best way to read this book. I really enjoyed this book, often not wanting to put the book down even though I knew I had to because my eyes were closing. Many times the story line shocked me, at times I kept reading because I just couldn't believe it....

A really interesting read and I just kept wanting to read more, to find out what would happen next. It was written well and you had feelings for the characters. These are the kind of books I like, that let you in as if you are part of the story. I was a bit disappointed at the end, I felt I wanted more....to know how it would end. I guess this is what the author wanted, to leave it open so you never really knew. I would of liked to know how it ended....I can live with not knowing though.

Excellent book and I am definitely going to try another of her books. I really loved this book despite some of the shocking story lines so her other books have a lot to live up to because I really did love this book. I don't remember ever reading a book with this story line before so it was different, that is good and its always nice to read something different.

I would happily recommend this book to others, I really enjoyed it and hopefully you will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 16 Oct. 2010
This review is from: A Sister's Gift (Paperback)
Having read the author's two previous books and thoroughly enjoyed them, I seized Giselle Green's third book, A Sister's Gift, with great enthusiasm. I was not disappointed. In fact, I was delighted, as to my mind, it is the best. The characters are totally real and believable and the conversations between them, palpable. In places the book made me squirm with anxiety, in others it made me smile with joy. I was totally engrossed and followed the story avidly, living it myself. I think it would make a great play for television, so distinctive were the characters in it.I cannot wait for Giselle Green's next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not as beautiful as some of her others as there are parts ..., 16 Nov. 2014
E. Savignon "Lizzie_S" (Gibraltar) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Sister's Gift (Kindle Edition)
I read this book when it first came out. A truly compelling read, it's about the relationship between two sisters, who could not be more different from each other. One of them is desperate to have a baby, and asks the other one to have it for her. It's not as beautiful as some of her others as there are parts of the story that don't sit right within how I might feel about the situation, but a brilliant story nonetheless. Also as Giselle 's books don't have just one main story, each of her characters have their stories and parts to play just like in real life. A brilliant read.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!!!, 12 Jan. 2012
jamie leigh (southampton, hampshire, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Sister's Gift (Kindle Edition)
This was a story that completely threw me, I started to read and thought it would be a typical sob story of two sister and it wasn't it had a completely different take on there relationship and i loved the twist in the story who would have thought she was or thought she was in love with Richard, I love the transformation we see in both Scarlett and Hollie and how there characters develop, how they change and learn from each other even though they don't even realize it. This story really hooked me in and i really enjoyed it. i was able to relate to all the characters in some way or another but i think my favorite character without a doubt was Richard what a brave, kind, loving devoted husband, could a women ask for more then that. He made such sacrifice and went against everything he believed in for the women he loved, now i have to admire that. If you like a bit or a tear jerker with a twist then this is definitely for you as you cant help but feel sorry for all involved in this book. its gripping. i loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking read., 6 Oct. 2011
This review is from: A Sister's Gift (Kindle Edition)
A Sister's Gift is not my favourite book by Giselle Green but still an absorbing and enjoyable read. I love the fact that the characters are real and flawed people, rather than making them unlikable it makes them very easy to relate to. The book is beautifully written and skillfully handles a difficult topic. I am going to be mulling over it for some time I think.

A Sister's Gift