4.0 out of 5 stars Richard Bandlers - Guide to Trance-Formation
I have found this book very interesting. My only problem is finding the time to concentrate on it.
The only disappointing thing was the enclosed FAULTY cd. I have tried via the links to register the problem. But I'm still not sorted out. I did not want to return the book, just want the CD replacing.

I would recommend this book especially now I know that...
Published on 12 Feb. 2010 by Smoky Quartz

I have very mixed feelings about this book and the accompanying DVD.

Published on 16 Feb. 2010 by Third Time Lucky

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars A misleading title for a sometimes amazing, sometimes peculiar, often hard to follow book, 16 Feb. 2010
I have very mixed feelings about this book and the accompanying DVD.

I should say that I have found all of Paul McKenna's books extremely helpful and have been enormously impressed by professional clinical hypnotherapy, which has helped me manage PTSD and related wide-ranging phobic anxiety far more effectively than prescription medication. I have also read Richard Bandler's 'Get the Life You Want' which I found to be both fascinating reading and useful in many practical ways.

I am still hopeful of being able to cure my PTSD completely and am always open to new and more advanced self-hypnosis and NLP techniques. So I came to this already receptive.

Unfortunately, this book is a fairly significant level of difficulty beyond the McKenna books and the earlier Bandler book, and I feel the title - which is typical of "help yourself" language with its 'Make Your Life Great' claim - is really quite misleading. The book is less about helping yourself and more about working on others (for example, the section called 'Patterns of Induction' is about how to induce hynotic trance using people's own "sub-modalities", whilst Section 4 is entitled 'Client Sessions'). This is all quite exciting I guess, particularly if you're training to become an NLP therapist or counsellor, and I did learn a lot, but it all requires a lot of time and patience to work through.

It's certainly very cynical to market this as a self-help text when there is a lot of information to absorb, some of which is highly abstract, and very little of which is actually directed at the end-user wanting to benefit from "trance-formation".

I found the enclosed DVD entertaining and amusing, but that was all. It's really just like a pub hypnosis show with tamer antics. I must also admit to being a little grossed out by Richard Bandler himself, who letches all over his female clients and looks like an ageing druggie hippie biker - leather jacket, check, greasy rat's tail hair, check, strange jewellery, check, dirty fingernails, check. He's clearly been repackaged on the covers of his recent books to be more attractive to a wider range of readers, just as this title has.

Overall, I'm glad I read this book, but it's a fairly specialised text and therefore will have very limited appeal; I wouldn't recommend it to anyone in my own position, but I can see it being a very useful text for those wanting to make NLP or hypnotherapy a career. As a hypnotherapy patient, however, I'd say Bandler should absolutely not be your role model!

3.0 out of 5 stars It Hasn't Made My Life Great, 12 Mar. 2010
D. Gruender - See all my reviews
The book is very good for what it is, BUT it is NOT a self-help book as it claims to be. It is full of interesting information, but does not give instructions that could be classed as 'Self-Help'. As with many of this type of books, it gives some information and then advises you to go see a professional, in this case, hypnotherapist. I think many people would buy this book because they want to learn some tools for helping themselves, not being told to see someone else.

I bought the book as a Therapist interested in other people's views and ideas, and did get a lot from it, hence the three stars, but if you are looking for something that will help you yourself and maybe 'make your life' great, I'd look elsewhere.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rambling, 30 Oct. 2010
He has interesting ideas but this is basically full of self praise.
It is badly written and it is hard to know exactly what it is for.
I think that this is basically a rehash of an earlier book which was itself based on transcripts from his courses.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 Nov. 2011
Make your life great the the title exclaims, personally I was none the wiser by the end. The DVD was interesting but found I had more questions than answers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Richard Bandlers - Guide to Trance-Formation, 12 Feb. 2010

I would recommend this book especially now I know that this author was the original tutor to Paul McKenna. Now, that I find intriguing.

I have given this book a 4* rating, once I get to the end I may decide to change my mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it fantastic, 22 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Richard Bandler's Guide to Trance-formation: Make Your Life Great (Kindle Edition)
I am a Hypnotherapist and I have found this book to be one of the best.
It is for people who are working in the field all ready more than for the self help market. That is true but this book has helped me to cure clients in one session rather than a number of them.
Well worth it in fact I have bought three copies for my friends as Christmas presents
Defiantly one of the best Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 16 Jan. 2014
TC (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
I have read a great many books on NLP and Hypnosis. Richard Bandler has created a wonderful book, that is good value and has a great deal to offer interested students. In my opinion this is his best book as it gives many exercises and encourages you to discover more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 14 Nov. 2014
Not easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly useful if you use it -genius!!, 7 Aug. 2012
I bought the original hardback version of this book which didn't have the disc - I have heard RBs voice on recent recordings and to the British ear I can understand why some reviewers may find it a bit creepy. RB can sound slightly boastful - I don't mind that - he's got something real to boast about and bear in mind he is American!
All that aside, I have read many books on NLP and this is probably my favourite - the techniques are amazingly useful IF you actually do them thoroughly and persevere with them. Just reading it "academically" will not produce the same results.
I have used some of the techniques to make significant changes in my life.
Then there is the common sense but brilliant RB wisdom and insight sprinkled with his humour.
Psychobabble it is most definitely not!
The only minor criticism is that I found that one or two of the technique summary instructions didn't quite match with the written descriptions in the main text and I found one set of instructions slightly confusing (needed deciphering)
Is it "perfect"? No - Is it brilliant? Yes IMHO.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone. I would think anyone with a brain would likely find it useful and inspiring. Genius.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful. Just Awful., 14 July 2012
This is not the first book I've read on NLP but it is by far the worst.

It's rambling, incoherent and Bandler repeats the same points over and over again. He is also constantly trying to validate himself to the reader. Literally every few pages he says something like "I'm working with leading scientists...", "I've studied many different kinds of meditation..." or my favourite "I'm very fond of telling people that I'm one of the best hypnotists on the face of the earth (I have a letter to prove it)". Now a few of these statements would be ok but it gets tiresome hearing them dozens of times.

Bandler goes out of his way to say his way is better than other therapists. You quickly start to wonder - who is he trying to convince? The reader or himself?

Some NLP theories have their merits. The concept of anchoring or 'the map is not the territory' can be genuinely beneficial. But if I'm honest after reading this book I now believe NLP to be on the whole pseudo-scientific drivel. NLP will always have it's hardened followers but don't be sucked in by their propaganda. If you want a rigorous analysis of NLP and related fields read 'Tricks of the Mind' by Derren Brown. Now there is an author you can trust.

(Oh and on the DVD: It's an hour long, I only watched the first 20 minutes because it's just Bandler repeating the same things over and over again. One thing you learn from the DVD is that Bandler is really really creepy)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›