5.0 out of 5 stars Royal Canin Renal Cat Pouches - Tuna
The item arrived on the date they said it would - Thank You!
Published on 25 July 2012 by MzThang

Published on 11 Dec. 2011 by P. Duerinckx

5.0 out of 5 stars Royal Canin Renal Cat Pouches - Tuna, 25 July 2012
This review is from: Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Renal Wet Feline 48 x 85 g Tuna Sachet (Misc.)
The item arrived on the date they said it would - Thank You!
My Cat absolutely HATES this stuff - but with Renal problems she has no choice - I love it cos I can see a marked change in her body weight and energy levels! However, if I put Royal C, out for her on it's own she will only sniff at it and go hungry - unless I mix it with one of her favorite supermarket cans (which the Vet said was fine to do) - I've found the best way to get her to eat it - is to mash it to a pulp and then mix it into her other food, it helps if the other brand choice is a "smelly" one, she still doesn't slap it up quickly as she would her other meals but at least she will EAT IT!

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems of cat food monopoly: A Marxist reading of Royal Canin renal food, 11 Dec. 2011
P. Duerinckx (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews
This is a review for the Royal Canin renal food as one of our cats has kidney disease. The title refers to the fact that there is limited choice if one has a cat with kidney disease: this or Hill's renal food. When you have a cat that's been eating Felix or Whiskers, having to eat this renal food comes as a shock. I'm sure that there are plenty of cats that can be shown to like it but our cat doesn't, yet has no choice: eat it or die! Don't just take my cat's word for it: we get a stray that comes in, usually very hungry and he studiously ignores the renal food. He can't, one would think, afford to be fussy, yet he is. The critic has spoken. So, Royal Canin: improve your flavours. Same goes for you, Hill's.

Second point: the lack of variety packs. Our renal cat will eat this food eventually (has no choice) but would benefit from some variety. Because neither Royal Canin (or Hill's) provide variety packs, one has to order larger quantities of each flavour to save the cat from flavour fatigue. Another example of monopolistic capitalism at its worst. In the competitive general cat food market, the regular players have to provide value and variety; in the specialist diet market, companies can exploit their monopoly which results in a 'take it or leave it' attitude; not good for cat or owner. The fact that this food is three times the price of regular cat food is the icing on a disappointing cake. So specialist cat food manufacturers: get your act together and consider the customer rather than expecting us to be grateful because you provide a product that keeps our animals alive.

5.0 out of 5 stars My cat likes it, 31 Oct. 2013
My cat likes it - but he has always been very greedy. He does seem to have improved energy and fur since being on it - I am quite surprised at the noticeable difference. He didn't mind the Hills stuff either, it is a bit of a pain to order - no-one seems to stock all the flavours all of the time. Vet recommended it, cat likes it so 5*

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 18 Nov. 2013
When one of my two female cats was diagnosed with Renal problems I ordered a small box of the same food but from another seller; I wanted to be sure that she liked it before ordering such a big quantity. However, the small box has not yet arrived up to today, therefore, I was left with no alternative than ordering this big box. Luckily, my cat loved it from the first moment. My Vet recommended to give the same food also to the other cat (of the same age and who does not have renal problems, as a prevention) and she also loves it. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cats loved it, 7 Jun. 2013
Yes three of my young cats loved this food, however it was meant for the old 18 year old cat (the vet suggested it), who never really took to it, even when mixed with other foods - cats!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cat loves it but sooo expensive, 27 Sept. 2013
My cat who used to adore his Felix cat food pouches and Gourmet Gold pouches for special treats was diagnosed with the beginnings of kidney failure last summer. Having tried various 'renal' brands for cats on the market this range seems to be his favourite, loves the Tuna and Beef flavours Royal Canin Renal Cat Pouches Beef (48 x 100g) but really does not like the Chicken flavour, which is strange as chicken in other ranges used to be his preference. I can definitely say that the Royal Canin Renal wet food has improved his health and to date along with Avipro Plus seems to have stabilized his condition which I am sure all cat lovers will understand is a huge relief. My only gripe about these 'speciality' cat foods is the extortionate price we have to pay to keep our feline companions as healthy and contented as possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars My cat loves it!, 12 April 2011
My cat was diagnosed with kidney problems a couple of years ago and hated all the "renal" diet foods given to him. He loves this one and I am so glad!

4.0 out of 5 stars Why, oh why, doesn't it taste better, 12 Dec. 2014
Sally B (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
Well, it has certainly stopped the incessant drinking (and peeing) BUT my cat hates it. She's always been a bit picky but this obviously has very little flavour so she only eats a tiny amount. I give her the RC renal dry food as well ... she doesn't mind that but isn't particularly keen. Quite frankly I'm not sure how she keeps body and soul together as she eats so little, but she seems to manage and this has definitely done the job. I just wish they could make it more attractive in smell and flavour.
Unfortunately my other cat, who has always been a dustbin, would scoff anything so it's a positive performance at feeding time, with a lot of swooping and picking up of plates, to stop the one diving into the forbidden dish whilst the other scoffs all the renal dietary food and I definitely can't leave any dishes down. Ah well, we live to serve!

5.0 out of 5 stars Royal Canin Renal for cats, 12 Nov. 2011
As our ageing Hyperthyroid cat now requires special dietary controlled food, this product has improved her health by leaps and bounds. As we have two cats and although the other is so far hail and hearty, she can't resist seeing what her sister is getting to eat, that she is not, so both now indulge in it! The 'healthy' cat has also benefitted; her coat is glorious and that's something its not been for ages. Royal Canin Renal is pricey and there's no getting away from that, so I just wish there was more variety of choice, since Tuna, Beef and chicken wouldn't do much for my palate either - but as a diet it's providing what it says it does, so long may our cats remain in good health!

1.0 out of 5 stars Check a sample of this before you buy in bulk, 12 Sept. 2013
Unfortunately I had to return this product because between ordering it and receiving it I found out my cat simply would not eat it at all. I was promised a postage refund when I phoned amazon regarding the return, but I did not receive it even though I enclosed the receipt for cost of purchase with the return