5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant phone for a good price
This is a really good phone (Amazon also delivered it very quickly with Super Saver Delivery, two days after I ordered it) - it exceeds my expectations of it.

Published on 1 Oct 2010 by Flix

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed!
Having had Nokia phones for years, I got one of these for my entry into the modern smartphone world!
My usage was pretty basic, calls, texting, emails (very useful!!), facebook, amazon etc plus the odd browsing and all was pretty good, if a little slow at times, but I think that was more due to my network coverage than the phone!
All in all I'd happpily...
Published on 18 May 2011 by James Roach-John

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant phone for a good price, 1 Oct 2010
This review is from: Nokia 5230 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)

It came with a 2GB MicroSD memory card, which I wasn't expecting. It also came with a car windscreen mount and suction cup, an additional battery cover in hot pink, a 'headset' which is needed for the radio to help reception as well as being the earphones (but you can switch to loudspeaker if you don't want to use the earphones), and three user guides - one for the phone itself, one for the car windscreen mount and one for the satellite navigation.

The internal GPS-receiver works quite well - it has eventually fixed on my position and so far I've only used it indoors, hence why it took so long. I imagine if I was outside it would fix on my position much quicker. However, if you have a Bluetooth GPS-receiver you can also use that, or if you have a contract with data allowance you could use the network and Assisted GPS, too.

Once you've downloaded Ovi Maps into the Ovi Suite on your PC, and synced data with the phone, selecting which maps from which countries you'd like (NB. You will need to purchase a USB lead as the phone doesn't come with one, however they are quite cheap, I bought mine for 1.60.) you're good to go. If you deselect Assisted GPS and Network GPS in the Options menu of Ovi Maps, you won't be charged at all for using the Sat Nav function, as you download, update and transfer maps and voices via your PC.

Being as this phone is SIM free you can transfer to any network you want, so eliminating the need for paying to unlock your phone.

Battery life and reception are very good, too, so all in all I'm very happy with the Nokia 5230.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed!, 18 May 2011
This review is from: Nokia 5230 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
All in all I'd happpily recommend this phone, apart from a software problem linked to the memory of the handset! I used a memory card for photos, messages etc but have had 2 of these die on me in 12 months as a result of the phone memory being corrupted, which my network told me was due to a software problem with the phone!
I've spoken to a few people who have also owned one, and they have had no problems, but some online reseach has also indicated that this may be a problem with some handsets of this model!
As my use was basic, I probably should have not been able to fill the memory, and as I regularly cleared the cache when browsing online, really should not have happened!
Real shame as apart from this a great phone!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great phone. Touch Screen not so great., 15 July 2011
This review is from: Nokia 5230 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
This phone has a lot of bells and whistles (3G / GPS / symbian OS / touch screen).
The one thing it is missing though is Wi-fi. If you can accept this - then read on.
This phone runs Symbian S60 V5. What does this mean? Well, it means the phone runs one of the later versions of the symbian OS and this facelifts what many would say is a "creaking" operating system. Whatever, your point-of-view on the underlying OS - I think the OS looks pretty good. There are some unavoidable nuances and hangovers but it all looks good and hangs together well. Well done Nokia.
So what are the downsides? Well, the screen is a resistive touchscreen which means it's one of those needing pressure to detect touch. Capacitive touchscreens are now trickling down to lower-end phones so if you're looking into this phone right now - then you might reconsider. Typing with this screen is OK but does take getting used to.
The phone shows lag every now and then which is a minor annoyance.
Battery life is very good. A single charge with conservative use lasting a couple of days.
Built-in GPS means you can download the OVI maps which are really great. Better than the google maps offering on android phones. The 3.2in screen makes this a great everyday satnav.
A good selection of software available. Not as comprehensive as some but still not bad at all.
All in all - a bit of a workhorse phone now. Reliable. Functionally not outstanding but seems to do everything OK.

5.0 out of 5 stars NOKIA 5230 SIM FREE MOBILE PHONE = BLACK, 28 Jan 2011
This review is from: Nokia 5230 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
Very pleased with the phone, much clearer and larger to see figures and letters when using, easy to use. Took some time to set up, still finding what it can do. Goos phone to buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much missing, 1 Oct 2011
Noel Jealous (Cardiff UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia 5230 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
I bought this for one of my sons, and I was disappointed.
Yes it is a touchscreen phone, camera and music player/radio.
BUT - the music is MONO.
The camera has no flash.
A plectrum instead of a stylus.

This phone seems to be an exercise in bad design.
All the features of the 5800 and 5530 are downgraded.
I wish I hadn't bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 July 2014
EXCELENT GREAT PRICE

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Nokia 5230 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
I would have loved it but when the screen is locked, it's a bit hard to unlock it using the touch screen, otherwise it's a nice phone!

5.0 out of 5 stars ;), 1 May 2013
This review is from: Nokia 5230 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
excellent phone ,,perfect signal any where i go, the reasen i bought it was because my expensive blacberry phone had no signal in my house ,,i was told about this one, so took a chance ,,and hey ho,,,best phone i had

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Phone, 13 Dec 2012
Jake Williams (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia 5230 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
I got this phone for Christmas and I LOVE it. It's simple, easy to use and fun. The touch screen even works with gloves on. The only downsides I found were that the silver casing broke (easily fixed (use super glue), the interface is good, you get a 2GB micro SD card with it (well I did) which is good for storing photos and music. I would recommend you go to the settings and make sure the messages are saved to the Memory Card (do this by going to Settings>Phone>Application sett.>Messaging>Other and change the box Memory in use from C:Nokia to E:Memory Card. Overall I would recommend this phone. (not good for serious internet users).

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: Nokia 5230 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
I bought almost two years ago, and for two years they give to use it 'cause the touch screen does not work. I have to repeatedly "hit" with the palm of my hand because can use the screen, I was very disappointed Having always trusted products NOKIA