Showing 1-10 of 34 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on 1 October 2014
Quite happy with this product. It is however very important to point out that you really need to have much more room than suggested in the instruction and xbox website 1.8 meter on the front of kinnect. So really you will need to stand at least 2.3 meters away and have good 2.5 , 3 meters free space accross. If you have got less than that you will struggle to enjoy your gaming experience fully.
On the good site, it is nicely looking, nite piece of gear and got lots of interesting options,
Game attached to it is really good and you can easily spend half of your day playing it .
on 9 September 2011
From research prior to release this looked like the perfect present for my boyfriend. Fun games - check, 6 foot of space - Check, Voice Activation - check & value for money - Half a check. So I bought the kinect in the hopes of fun filled evenings with my boyfriend and I wouldn't exactly say they are fun but more adequate.

Pros:

- The Games are good fun - Kinect adventures (free with most kinects) is the equivalent to Wii play for the Wii where as it has a light hearted mix of activities throughout. I also bought him sonic which is a good game but contained many cons (see con section).

- The pictures that are taken whist playing wii adventures are a great laugh and provided us with good entertainment.

- The kinect ensures that you are actually working out as opposed to the wii where I discovered I can bowl while lying on the sofa.

Cons:

- Space issue - I will get grief for this (see any 1* reviews as to why) but I made sure I had 6ft of space before I purchased but what I didn't realise is for 2 player you need 8ft plus approx another 2 foot of 'playing room' as I discovered when I needed to walk backwards and walked my calf of the sofa. It is not a big deal in the sense that yes we can each take turns and just lose the points when required to go backwards but I just don't think that enough consideration was put into the development considering it was an issue raised in testing. I'm not saying that this will affect everyone as we live in an apartment (a small one at that) but I would ensure you have about 10foot of room to ensure you get the most out of the kinect.

- Lag - A lot of reviewers have also commented on the lag and it is not an overly big issue with me but an annoying one at that. I do not appreciate a lag at the 6ft mark considering it is the recommended distance but a friend pointed out that when she moved it back to 8ft she lost all the lag so until I move into a bigger house the lag will also be there.

- Also the voice command function seemed like a great idea but realistically you can operate very few commands by voice.

- Game controls - Maybe I am too use to the conventional gaming where I click pause and it pauses straight away but holding my arm in one sport for 10secs is a bit irritating. It is even worse when playing with my hyperactive 5 year old niece who cannot stand still that long for it to work.

- Few Games - I maybe was a bit naive but I did believe that by now there would be some decent games out for the Kinect. There were only 2 of interest at Christmas and maybe one more since but I think it is a bit harsh that there is still a lacking in the games department.

- Sonic - Oh dear this game ended up being more trouble than it was worth. The game seemed to start the power things without me even asking it to and several involuntary movements occurred. Think it has been played twice now.

Overall we use it and its fine. I will not rave about it but I will not totally disregard it. We are in the process of trying to sell it at the moment more to do with the lack of time we have as opposed to the problems we have had but realistically that did add to it. I know others have had more luck than I have hence not giving it 1* but it was a disappointment. I would compare it to the 3DS in the sense that although the 3D effect gave some people headaches others found it fine and with the kinect some people have the space and some just don't. I'm sure the ones who have no issues find it great but until they fix my few gripes I probably would not rush to purchase it again.
on 6 December 2015
This did not come with a power adapter. More importantly, the lead had been tightly coiled such that the insulation was cracked and stretched near the point of connection. Without the power adapter, I can't tell if it works.
on 31 August 2011
I'll start by saying it should be brilliant & I so ant it to be. I had dreams of being able to play with my 4 year old as controllers are too big and fiddly for him at present and hey this is also exercise. This is where I encountered my first problem I am 6ft4 & he is 3ft and half the time Kinect thinks he's just part of me and gets very confused (given up on 2 player). Next issue I have just found as the nights grow longer is that in daylight its fine but with our ceiling lights it can't see me. Oh and you do need a lot of space so not for the modern home where space is a luxury (I thought we had a big lounge until I got this)Being a taller person it does struggle to see my head and feet at the same time in the confines of my lounge.Kinect Sensor with Kinect Adventures (Xbox 360)..
on 28 April 2012
Another example of over hyped technology that doesnt do the amazing things the company that releases it says it does. It can be fun and useful but also temperamental and annoying. Often reviews blame the games but the kinect is not capable of doing certain things without being moved around. There is also a lack of any games that are any good. Mostly they are novelty games. The workout stuff is good on this but often this doesnt always work right. Voice commands can sometimes bring some funny or irrating results. Really you need a big house just to use this. Its not all bad and when it works it works well which is 60% of the time. The other 40% it will drive you mad.
on 11 November 2010
I am a person who tends to buy most tech the day it comes out. I am also in my 30's and play games like Black Ops, Bad Company 2 and Forza. I own a Wii, Xbox and PS3 so am pretty impartial. I have no particular axe to grind. I tend to use the Xbox the most as most of my friends are on that and I find the interface the best and therefore I tend to get most peripherals for the Xbox immediately when they come out. The Xbox wheel for example is utterly brilliant.

I bought the Kinect mostly as an innovative way to control my Xbox as well as to interact with the console as they showed in the MILO demonstration online. It was amazing. I am less interested in games where I jump around. I also bought it for the future when I can use it as an add on for games, such as detecting head movement like Track IR on the PC in games such as Black Ops and Battlefield when this is implemented. To date I have found the genuine Microsoft Products excellent so didn't hesitate in pre-ordering the Kinect and in fact ran home to get it installed.

The box is nicely made and you have no dispute that it is a beautifully made product. It is heavy, black and chrome. If you don't own the new Xbox you have to plug the Kinect into the wall and then into the USB above the Ethernet port. If you have the Wi-Fi dongle for the Xbox there is also an extension cable that uses the USB ports on the front. The cables are very long in case your Kinect is a long way from the console, and the thing does add a lot of cabling to your setup. If you have the new Xbox there is just a single cable that goes into the back. But I don't so I now have metres of cable behind the machine.

Initially I placed the Kinect in front of the TV but when I turned the Xbox on and went through the initialisation (which is pretty easy) I realised this wouldn't work as it couldn't see the floor. I can't use the Xbox in the living room as the wife goes crazy so it is in my office and there is a desk in the way. So the only way to make it work for me was to attach it to the top of the TV. But there are no mounts provided or available to buy yet. And I have the Wii little bar on top of the TV. Now the Kinect base is large and the Kinect fairly weighty. I could balance it on top of the Wii bar but it was very unstable and as the Kinect tilts up and down on its own I decided the only way to secure it was with double sided sticky tape. Which I did. But it really is less than ideal.

So then I did the initialisation again and it detected my feet but then made me keep walking backwards. I cleared all of the furniture out of the way but still couldn't go far enough back. I fudged it by squashing myself against the wall but really can't see myself moving all of the furniture every time I want to play a game. And my office isn't that small.

Then I tried out the commands and frankly the controller is much better. There is a little image in the corner of the screen showing you and your hands lit in purple. This is pretty clever. But to get the Kinect screen up you have to wave a hand or say "Xbox" then "Kinect". This doesn't work on all screens. However when it is working at least it is novel.

The hand controls are jumpy if you are too close. I had to keep going backwards for it to work so that rules out using my hands instead of the controller when I am sitting at my desk. Then to select an item you have to hold you hand above it for a few seconds and the box activates. This takes a lot longer than clicking the A button on the controller. And when I was playing with my Avatar I kept nearly purchasing things by accident. It is clunky to say the least.

So I loaded the Adventures game that came with the Kinect. I got bored of this pretty quickly. Standing in the room with my furniture piled up in a corner trying to plug leaks with my hands and feet got boring very quickly. Then little niggles like my foot going behind the desk so it doesn't detect began to tip me over the edge. I think this may be fun on multi player but on my own it was boring and as I can only just get 7 feet from the Kinect and not the required 8 feet, multi player is not an option for me.

My friend also bought on so we tried Kinect chat which is OK but basically just Skype on your TV. And I don't want people watching me while I'm sitting at home. He is also disappointed with his Kinect.

In honesty I don't think I am going to be using my Kinect much except for the voice command. I can't be bothered moving the furniture to play games all of the time. I can't get 8 feet back from it without moving the sofa which is a huge chore. And I am not going to stand near the sofa for the pleasure of using my hands to select something I could easily do with the A button. I can't play it with friends either due to the distance issue.

I thought the Kinect would make my Xbox like a scene from Minority Report. But it's not quite there yet. It is a clunkier than I hoped and I really don't see myself jumping around kicking balls with my Avatar with all of the frustrations that come with it.

My Wii is my least used console because of the graphics and I can't be bothered waving my arms around for hours after a long day at the office. I am playing Goldeneye on it at the moment as it is point and shoot and I move using the Nunchuk. Otherwise I tend to stick to first person shooters on the Xbox. And I think the Kinect without some sort of controller is too limited. Watch the Star Wars Kinect trailer. You can fight but you can't move the character. It just rushes forward when the baddies are dead. The Nunchuck plus Wii remote is currently better. And the 8 ft thing is a joke. I think there needs to be a balance of the technology of the Kinect combined with the hands on experience of an innovative controller for feedback.

I think where the Kinect will eventually live is reading your face and gestures. Imagine in Black Ops if your characters face smiled when you smiled. Gestured when you gestured. Having used it I think it is going to be tough to make work without a controller. How do you crouch, go prone, select guns, throw a flashbang instead of a grenade? How do you accelerate or use the parking break? Where's the rumble when you get hit or go off on the gravel? I have come to rely on rumble massively and of course with no controller there's no rumble.

At the moment the games are like Wii sports. Novel for a while. For kids this could work if you have a large living room. But for me it is a disappointment. After setting it up and trying the games, I found myself back on Black Ops with it unplugged. And I don't think it is great to ask you to put it on top of the TV with no mounts. In this age double sided sticky tape should not be the answer. My advice if you are an adult without young children is to avoid for now until it is better implemented.

Pros:
Nicely made good quality product
A great idea and when it works it can be fun
Clever technology that I am sure will be amazing when developers get used to it
Fun for kids or groups of people

Cons:
The room size issue. You need to able to get 8 feet from your TV
Lack of mounts for the top of the TV. I used Sellotape. Another reviewer used Blu Tack.
Clunky navigation. Much slower than the controller
Basic games at the moment mostly involving waving your arms and legs around
No integration in standard games, such as head tracking

I think it will come into it's own with time but not yet....
2828 comments|141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 April 2013
It actually is pretty amazing about how it recognises your body, but amazon is selling it for more than £100?! no way, you guys will be better off buying it from orspree, its a good product and connects to your xbox quite easily but I recommend [...]
on 1 July 2011
WE made this purchase to try to spend time together as a family playing the Xbox.
Our principle aim as a family has been achieved and we are thoroughly enjoying it.
What was so surprising is the limitations on the only software (which can be played) that is provided with the box. We now there are plenty of software packages available our there but one would have thought a better startup package would have been provided.
on 13 November 2011
Firstly, the installation of the kinnect was painless - and I am inept with these things.

However, you do need a lot of space to take full advantage of it. My very large living room (24'x20') is, I would say, only barely big enough. To get thee best out of it, I have to move the couch out of the room. So if you have a smaller living room, or room where it is to be set up, you may struggle to get the full benefit.

The controller is intuitive and fairly quick to respond, better than I was expecting.

My biggest problem is the severe lack of games for it, and that the ones that are available are very much aimed at children, and Nintendo Wii customers.

I do really hope that the platform is well supported in the future, because at the moment it seems to be really lacking the support it deserves.

The trouble for me is that it is not a cheap system but game support is just not good enough, hence the 3 stars.
VINE VOICEon 28 December 2010
Kinect is very clever technology, no question there. It's able to pick out a human body from any background and perform real time motion capture. Truly impressive stuff and leagues ahead of the very basic motion tech from Nintendo and Sony. The problem is, it just doesn't work all that well.

The first problem you will encounter is one of space. Kinect is clearly made for US houses, and so in the UK with our officially smallest houses anywhere in the EU, space is a BIG problem. You will have to move furniture out of the way every time you want to play, and even then it's unlikely you will have enough space for 2 players. Even one player will be bumping into walls pretty often. I have a larger than average living room and was only able to play 2 player games by moving the sofa out of the living room completely. Convenient, it is not. I can imagine selling this in Japan will be an exercise in total futility.

With the room cleared the next problem rears it's head - Kinect just doesn't work all that well. Limbs will flicker and jitter on screen and there is noticeable lag on everything. Facial recognition is hit or miss, to say the least, and even waking up Kinect from the dashboard (you need to wave at it) usually doesn't work. Voice recognition works better, but it's only set up for a couple of phrases. It's also bizarre that Kinect only works in a small sub set of the Xbox dashboard. When Kinect works best, it's only loosely capturing your motion, as in the game Dance Central. Then the jittery motion is unseen as the game gives you the benefit of the doubt.

The Kinect bundle comes with one game - Kinect Adventures - but you'll be bored of it very quickly. It contains a very small number of simple mini games which repeat over and over. They're little more than tech demos (which sadly often show how buggy the hardware actually is) and MS would have done better to have included the Wii Sports clone Kinect Sports instead.

I've no doubt that in years to come this tech will have been refined to a high shine and will just work. In it's first iteration however it's just too buggy and feels like an alpha release.