on 24 February 2013
I bought this to go into a media computer I built. It performs well and is silent which was the main reason for buying it. High definition video is perfect on this card. I don't use it for games so cannot say how it would perform with games.
on 29 March 2010
Bought this card so that I could specifically connect my PC to my TV and enjoy some 'HD' video such as BBC iplayer.

The card went in very easily and the install procedure was quick and pretty simple. The supplied software recognised the Sony W5500 without a problem (connected with a Philex 5m HDMI cable bought from Amazon).

The main problems I had came when I tried to watch some HD video content on the TV. The first noticeable issue was that the picture on the HDTV at 1080p output, whilst excellent, was surrounded by black borders. Having googled the problem I realised that by default the software is set to 'underscan' by a certain amount so that the image displayed is only around c80% the size of the original. Disabling 'underscan' on the catalyst software (Desktops and Displays, right click on HDTV, click configure, Scaling options and move slider all the way to the right). Problem solved and a sharp, virbrant 1080p image filled the TV screen.

The next problem came when I tried to use the card for its intended purpose, playing video on the TV (set up as an extended desktop). The video quality was excellent but I noticed the sound would drop out every few seconds (5-10-15 - it varied), quite annoying when trying to watch something and present on avi, mkv and streaming video. After a lengthy google search - I'm by no means an expert on PCs - it became apparent that this 'drop out' of audio was due to a power saving feature known as 'powerplay' which drops the clock speed of the card when appropriate, to save power. This fluctuation in clock speed was causing the sound drop outs.

The solution this time came from a third party. I downloaded a program called 'AMD GPU clock tool' (freeware) which enables the user to set the card to a fixed clock speed (e.g. 600mhz) thus disabling the power saving feature and allowing audio to remain clear and free of drop outs/glitches. Brilliant, I can now watch any manner of video in good quality.

It was however disappointing that a graphics card sold on the back of its capabilities for streaming HD video and with an HDMI out feature could not work reliably out of the box, and I think many people would struggle for hours before finding the solution (I did).

So 3 stars for the excellent image quality when used in 1080p output over HDMI, and smooth playback of HD video. And Good value for money, easy to install. Big thumbs down for the struggle in getting it to work as it should and having to resort to a third party workaround in order tog do so.
44 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 January 2013
Good To connect HDTV VIA HDMI To Your Computer This Graphics Card Isn't A Gaming One So Don't Expect To Be Playing Crysis 2 On This Or La Noire Because You Won't Just Save Up And Get The Radeon Hd 6670 Or Better Graphics Card If You`re Going With The Hd 6670 Go With The Asus Edition.

All In All Great Card To Connect Pc To Tv And Its Passively Cooled Witch Means No Noise!

Thanks Sapphire
on 22 March 2010
I purchased this as a replacement for the card in my home PC. For the price paid it is amazing value for money. I use the HDMI output to connect it to my TV in the living room and the card will output 1080p resolution at 60 frames per second.

The card has no fan on it so it is completely quiet. It comes with 3 brackets which allow it to be installed in both half hight and full hight cases.

It has an onboard sound card also, which allows output of 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound via the HDMI output connector.

However I have had a problem with the audio on the card. If you switch the TV off and bring your computer out of standby, then put the TV on, sound is disabled. The only way to get around this is to restart the PC.

Also I am lucky enough to have another PC that I have put a MSI N210-MD512H GeForce 210 Graphics Card in. I find the Nvidia card decodes video streams slightly better (less noise) and also outputs HDMI deep color at 36 bits per pixel. This card outputs only 24 bits per pixel.
on 11 July 2013
I thought this card did the job it was meant to do......not a high end graphic card but works well for what I needed it for. also the HDMI connection came in handy as I now have the PC hooked up to a 32" TV and it works really well on it.
on 10 January 2011
I bought this card to replace an nVidia Geforce 8 series one which, despite being less than a year old, had started glitching and overheating (and I bought that one because the previous nVidia Geforce 7 the computer came with broke after just a few years use!). The card was affordable, was easy to install, and produced smooth, glitch-free results.
...But as I said in the title, it does have an odd quirk. Specifically on machines with an inbuilt soundblaster card. Since this is an HD card, it will automatically take control of your sound output, and then cause the soundblaster (which tends to be set to 'auto' priority by default) to vanish from your list of audio choices. To get around this, the usual solution is to reboot your computer, open the BIOS and set your soundblaster card to 'enabled' instead of 'auto'. This should make the onboard sound trump the graphics card and you can enjoy sound and graphics together!
Apart from this minor irritation when setting up, I'm very happy with the card. It's not high-end, but will still perform nicely on games like Neverwinter Nights 2, Halflife 2 and Oblivion on mid-high settings.
on 13 September 2011
This looks like a very nice card. However looks are not everything. The CD supplied froze the computer every time I tried to run it. So I had to switch the power off and when I restarted the computer the date had changed to 2005. Next I tried downloading the relevant driver from the AMD site. The installer claims to have installed the driver successfully but I know it has not because I get periodic messages saying 'the AMD driver has not been installed or is not functioning correctly', because my device manager does not list it, and because when I go to desktop > personalise > display settings > settings (in Windows Vista) a 1920 x 1080 option is not available, and I know this card is able to produce that resolution. Sapphire's help site is, well, unhelpful. I have wasted many hours trying to install the driver for this card and in the end have given up.
on 9 March 2012
I've had this card for some time now, and I love it. Shame is, I've now got a 5750 on the way, so I will have to part ways with the 5450, and I'm quite attached to it, its done me extremely well.

I have a custom built computer, which I have assembled from mostly here there and everywhere, it has a 650 watt Alpine PSU, Intel 925 Dual Core 3.0Ghz (overclocked to 3.38Ghz), 4GB DDR2 RAM, Asrock G31M-S R2.0 motherboard, and the afore mentioned HD5450.

I run XP out of choice since I'm just too familiar with the way it works, its fast, and it gives me no crap. It also means, graphically, I'm limited to DX9, which is not a bad thing, certainly if you are looking at this card anyway.

It runs extremely well under XP, I can play most of my games at a medium resolution (1024x768) with mostly medium to high settings. A few games will run at my maximum res (1280x1024) with most settings also maxed.

Thise games include Borderlands, Splinter Cell Conviction, Dawn of War 2, Mirrors Edge, Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3. Killing Floor, Gray Matter, Alice: Madness Returns, XIII, Darkness 2 and so on.

Aside from gaming, it runs HD video content (especially when streamed, such as on YouTube, or over a television service like iPlayer, 4oD and so on), without problems, its flawless.

I love this card alot, but, I caught the PC gaming bug, and the 5450 just doesnt do what I would ideally like for it to be doing, in terms of performance. Im talking about higher resolutions and more maxed settings such as AF, high texture settings and game details, shadows and so on. Those tend to be the kind of settings you have to turn down for the 5450, which I dont mind, in all honesty, but, I've seen what I CAN be doing, and I want to do it.
on 20 December 2011
I have tried a graphics card with a fan (too noisy) and more Ram memory.

I am now coming round to the idea that this graphics card will improve my computer Sapphire 11190-02-20G HD 6450 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card. I used to have this graphics card Sapphire 11166-02-20R HD 5450 1GB DDR3 PCIE HDMI Graphics Card in my computer before moving to the computer that powers my TV in the living room. I currently have a Sapphire Radeon HD 4350 - Graphics Adapter - Radeon HD 4350 - 1 Gbin my main computer in my bedroom. This computer and graphics card which is similar to the graphics card being reviewed above only scores 3.7 on the Windows Index Experience. My graphics card only has 512 MB of DDR2 memory rather than 512 MB of DDR3 memory.

The numbering system and names of graphics cards and corresponding prices are incredibly confusing. I am sure the manufacturers do it on purpose.

I increased the Ram in my computer from 3 GB to Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit which seemed to make it slightly worse even though I am running Windows 64 bit. I am stuck with the new Ram now, so I think I will get a decent graphics card. My current graphics card is OK but I think having a new graphics card will make the system load a little bit faster.

I am hoping that a new graphics card will speed things up generally, reduce error messages and possibly make photo manipulation particularly shrinking easier.

The big advantage of these graphics cards is that they are passively cooled. I do not think they are suitable if you are interested in playing games - which is why most people buy graphics cards. However they are a good idea if you have a wide screen monitor.
on 8 May 2014
after installing a custom fan on top of the passive cooler this card can be overclocked like crazy oced the core from 667mhz to 900mhz and the memory to 1000mhz while keeping the temperature at 30 degrees under constant load for 6 hours
skyrim runs at very high 50fps at 1440x900