on 12 December 2010
I bought this card specifically to be used with Linux since it's the only operating system I use.
I works flawlessly out of the box with Ubuntu 10.10, no configuration needed whatsoever.
After boot clicking the network manager icon will present you the list of available networks.
It can reach N speeds too depending on the signal strength.
The antenna provided can be unscrewed in order to connect a more powerful antenna, which I did, using a TL-ANT2405C.
Highly recommended.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2010
At first I wasn't sure about the integrity of this wireless card because it was so cheap. I was searching for a wireless card with Windows 7, 64 bit support
and found this, so far I am very impressed. This Atheros AR9285 chipset is very fast receiving the data over my 54mbps wireless network and compatible with Linux too and it only took 3 days to arrive on the super saver;-))
I am very pleased with this item and would recommend you get it.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 April 2011
I ordered this card to replace my previous 54mbps card and the improvement has been notable, especially when streaming media around the house. The only problem I received was the drivers out of the box did not work at all well. Initially the card would drop signal, not see any networks etc. I contacted the support team and they directed me to some third party unsigned drivers that resolved this issue. While I was happy to have this problem resolved, if they are aware of the driver problems, why not release a set of official drivers that work?!
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 October 2015
I purchased this adapter when I read the answer to a question: Does this adapter work with Windows 10? The answer was yes.
I had no luck installing the driver - it was the best one, according to device manager update.

I contacted TP-Link and was told this adapter does NOT work with Windows 10. When I asked the agent to name an adapter
that did work with Windows 10, I was given the most unhelpful link: It said products with a "yes" support Windows 10. Cannot find "yes" against any products. What a way to convey information about a product. What a waste of time and money!!!

Update several hours later. Because the computer I was working on was for my daughter, and I had upgraded it to Windows 10, I felt guilty about returning it without Wi-Fi, which she absolutely needs. I have several computers, and tried installing this adapter on another 2, following all the suggestions I found on Google. This adapter changed the BIOS settings in my daughter's PC and caused 2 crashes. Luckily I restored normality. No crashes on the next 2 PCs - no luck either, but on the 4th, BINGO! Driver where it should be, no exclamation mark, BUT it did not work. Last gasp, I updated the driver and a beautiful plusnet icon appeared on the taskbar and I can deliver a PC fully functional to my daughter. Those of you familiar with Vista and other Windows OS will conclude "business as usual"

So, I have defied the odds, but unlike the other reviewer, I am giving a qualified yes. This is adapter is OK if you need to get a life.
and, I must thank the reviewer who said a simple yes answering a question for saving my bacon (and pride) - another 2 stars!
on 12 May 2015
Not very good range but works fine
review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2011
Windows 7 professional 64 bit.

Why I tried this: I was facing issues with my Linksys (Cisco) USB wireless adapter. Although I could move its (the usb adapter's) antenna around, i was losing connection during skype calls. After a bit of research, i was convinced that PCI and PICe adapters provided more stable connections. Going the reviews here (and outside) TP-Link TL-WN781ND seems liked the best option considering the low price for an adapter of that specification.

My experience: It worked just as expected. Although I did not have any more connection issues, my coverage was almost same at 4 bars. This was mostly down to the position of the adapter in my room. It was in the corner of the room under a table with cemented walls on two sides. My router was a floor worn at the other corner of the house. So I bought a separate extend-able antenna (Amazon shows this product paired in the same page). This worked perfect as I now have 5 bars of coverage and a very very stable connection.

Note: I was in a spot of trouble when i (stupidly)installed the driver first and then the adpater. What was i thinking!! DO NOT try that.
Also it is better to get the latest drivers from the tp Link website. Lookout for the product version when downloading the driver.

Highly recommended.
on 30 April 2012
Very good wireless card.
Very eat to install. I have a system that has moderate specifications and runs both Ubuntu Linux and Windows 7. I put the card into my machine, very easy to do. Turned on my machine and to my amazement, without me doing anything the wireless card worked immediately in Windows 7. The signal strength was strong and after a few weeks of use it has never dropped signal strength or dropped the signal at all.
I then booted into Ubuntu Linux (64-bit edition) and incredibly Ubuntu recognized the card and picked up the wireless signal as soon as it had started! Incredible! Again in Linux the signal always remains very strong and never drops.

To confirm this product has worked excellently for me for about 4 weeks now in both 64-bit Windows 7 and 64-Bit Linux Ubuntu 11.10. It worked straight out of the both with no human intervention (installing drivers or anything). The card is very discreet. It picks up the signal strength very well, never dipping below 80% (in comparison my laptop with built in wireless in the same room never goes above 50%) and the signal has never dropped, being continously constant through many long-haul usages of the computer (between 12-20 hour uses).

I cannot recommend this product highly enough.
on 10 October 2010
I bought this product to run on my windows 7 64bit. It comes with all the instructions on how to install it on XP or vista but not windows 7. How ever the driver is readily avaible to download from the TP link website if required. I didnt even require the driver just worked plug and play for me. I advice u to look inside ur PC before buying to see if you have enough room. It was a tight squeeze for me as my graphics card was kinda in the way. Over all im very happy with him product and it picks up the signal from my wireless router very well 2 floor up in my house. One extra point if you have Kaspersky internet security you MUST disable it when installing or you will not be able to use the adaptor; alot of info and guides are avaiable on the TP link website on the topic.
on 31 August 2012
I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.
Fully up to date with SP1 installed.
A Z77 motherboard with a 2500k.
It is sitting in a PCIe 2.0 x1 slot (bottom black slot in a MSI Z77A-G45 motherboard).

This card works perfectly. I get fantastic speeds. It worked as soon as I installed Windows (without any updates or drivers to download).

As you can see, it only has 1 antenna but I'd actually recommend using this one over the longer, 2 antenna ones, since this one is much shorter, so is less likely to obstruct cables. With my setup, I have the CPU power connector running over the front of the motherboard (bottom mounted PSU) and it just about fits. If i had tried to put in one of the longer wifi cards, it would have meant i needed to buy an extension for my cable, so I could route the cable around the card.

I'm extremely happy with my purchase.
on 4 October 2012
This PCI express card fitted readily into my main desktop; I use Ubuntu 12.04(a linux OS) and for a brief while I thought I had trouble.
The network symbol was just an outline, unlike my previous experience with a USB dongle.
Not difficult.
Go to System Settings, choose 'Networking'.
Select your network(Wireless router of your choice), supply the password, and connect.

No trouble at all.

My connection to my router is now more than five times faster, and everything 'web' happens in a flash.

Super little device, excellent value for money.
And if you must use Windoze, I expect the driver disk will sort things out.
BTW, the card arrived three days early.