5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little scope

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for astronomy
Published on 29 Jun 2010 by Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little scope, 16 April 2010
F. Conway (Dublin) - See all my reviews
Not for the serious stargazer, but a quality little scope nonetheless. It comes packaged in a rucksack, which makes it very portable and ideal for carrying on hikes or on camping trips. Its size and magnification also mean that it is useful for viewing wildlife ect. As a lightweight, portable and inexpensive product I cannot praise it enough. Would also make a good starter scope for a child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little scope - 100% recommend., 18 April 2010
"The best telescope is the one you use the most" so they say. I have searched the internet, read hundreds of articles, read magazines, toyed with the idea of getting a 'proper' telescope (such as the Celestron Astromaster 114 reflector or the refractor 70AZ) but had a moment of clarity: apart from the first few weeks, when am I REALLY likely to go to the effort of setting up a big scope? I mean they're really big and unless you keep it by the back door it means lugging it down stairs, plonking it in the yard and wrestling with the various knobs and bits to, finally, get a view of the moon or a nebula. Sure, they'll look good but to be honest, like my rice-cooker or the sandwich toaster it'll sit there gathering dust and eventually end up broken or in the loft...
Now, I thought of binoculars but, I have some of those and they're 10x mag. They're fine if you like to see streaks of light as the stars zip about your vision like fireworks. Get a tripod? Well, for the money, big (I say big when actually the biggest are only 15x) binos are not all that great and like someone on already said Amazon saide you'll need to be Data from Star Trek if you plan on holding them - forget it. No really, forget it - bins are a big disappointment for the stars. Only German soldiers in my WW2 picture books and bird watchers have them.
The Celestron travel scope is like one half of a MASSIVE pair of binos. From 20 to 40x mag they walk all over binos in terms of brightness and magnification.
I have packed it in its little bag (very useful believe me) and carry it up the Malvern Hills. Try doing that with a reflector.. In the perfect 360 view up their I've seen the heavens explode into life. I can get it outside, set up and marvelling at the moon or a nebula in 2 mins. Gaze and Go. Every night I have a quick scan at the heavens then get back to putting bath sealant around taps or whatever grown-ups do at night. Great.
Build quality is absolutely great. Sure, you have to be delicate with the controls and not heavy-handed but it's a telescope - what did you expect? If you're too rough to handle it then take up judo instead. I am careful with my lovely little scope and it opens up the skys for me and my little daughter every clear night. I can't believe how brilliant it is. My daughter saw a hot air balloon in the sky today - so small it was barely visible. In 45seconds we'd found it on the Travelscope and could count the occupants in the basket and watch the flames light up the red envelope - completely perfect.
Maybe you could get a better stargazer... maybe you could get a better bird watcher... but could you get a lovely little instrument that could do both for 70 quid? (2 million US dollars)if I drop it and smash it I'll be sad but get onto Amazon and get another. It should be 160 quid (85 million dollars).. but don't let Celestron know they've mis-priced it!
Want a cheap but perfectly useable scope for looking at the moon and birds and ships at sea? Want to use it every day? Are you not a Wall Street banker? Get this little beauty. If you really get hooked with astronomy then in a year get a reflector. You'll still only use the travel scope mind you!
Hope my review gets you looking up and going "Wow!" as our beautiful skys are wont to do...

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs, so far, 8 Jan 2011
I just bought this telescope a week ago, as a beginner in astronomy. I chose it after looking at very many different options, as it fitted my needs: A beginner's scope, easy to move with, and has adequate guides to help me navigate through the skies. So far, it has performed according to expectation.
As a beginner, who is not yet sure whether the fascination with the stars will grow, it is very well priced.
Delivery time was quite impressive, and the packaging and bag are really handy for the traveller. It is difficult to convince people you have a telescope in your little bag you carry around
The size of the telescope itself was amazing; much smaller than id even imagined. This was a strong plus for me
So far, the views of the skies it has been able to show me have really strengthened my fascination with astronomy. The moon looks quite amazing, and the planets seen so far are breathtaking.

I am sure i will be back in the market scouting for a stronger scope soon, to seek out the deeper heavens. But, this little bundle of joy has been a worthwhile investment for me, as im sure my fascination of the skies is here to stay. I would recommend it to the beginner, who would like to move abit with their telescope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stars made easy, 11 Jan 2011
Celestron 21035 Travel Scope 70 Telescope

I bought Travel Scope 70 for my wife for Christmas. Of all the presents I have got her over the last 38 years the response from this was the best. She has gone from watching TV to watching the night skies. I must admit I am enjoying the night skies too.The Celestron 21035 Travel Scope 70 Telescope is compact easy to use and we will be going holiday with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 26 Jan 2012
D. H. Holland "Daniel" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
When reviewing this 'scope you have to bear in mind what you are paying for it. At £53 you aren't going to get a Meade but you do get a servciceable 70mm compact refractor, a tripod, eyepieces,barlow lens, software and a back pack to keep it all in. Back in my youth I had a "proper" 3" astronomical refractor and I think this scope is comparable to it in terms of magnification, focus, image sharpness etc. The main problem you'll have with this scope is that its on a camera tripod (a rather flimsy one at that but more on that later) and its a fairly jerky transport system if you're used to an equitorial mount or even an altazimuth. That said I managed to lock on to Jupiter (not seen its moons for 30 years till tonight), Betelgeuse and a binary star (no moon tonight).
The tripod supplied is a bit rickety and on full extension and the bottom legs extension are quite thin and bendy but you can't expect miracles - I'd rather have a reasonable scope and a rubbish tripod as that's easily remedied - you can get a sturdier tripod fairly cheaply (although it might not fit in the pack).
The kit had expanded from that described on Celestron's website to include a X3 Barlow Lens and a 4mm eyepiece (X100) in addition to the 20mm (X20) and 10mm (X40) giving you magnification options of between x20 and x300 (although I wouldn't push it that far - it would be impossible to hold the image).
You might move on to bigger and better things but that's the beauty of this scope - it will always have a use because it packs away so small - great to take camping, on walks, on holiday etc (you're not going to lug around an 8" reflector!).
For the money you get a decent scope and lots of extras. If you look for the "firstscope accessory kit" you can pick up a moon filter, 6 and 12mm eyepieces (for more magnification options) and a spare spotting scope for about a tenner (only a few quid more than getting a moon filter on its own).

4.0 out of 5 stars Celestron Travel Scope 70 review, 4 Jan 2012
A decent telescope for cheap low-resolution astronomy. As an example you can see details on the Moon well, and the four larger moons orbiting Jupiter appear as clear pinpricks of light, and that's from London. The tripod with it is flimsy but I didn't expect any more to fit in a bag. Initially I didn't bother with the spotter scope included although it helped the kids a bit because the angled eyepiece doesn't help to direct the main telescope. You can also use it for birdwatching at some distance but for this the angled eyepiece is irritating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great amateur astronomy scope, OK tripod., 5 Mar 2013
Received this as a birthday present, and was immediately chuffed to bits.

Being so portable you'd expect the set-up to be simple... and it is. The initial set-up when first receiving the scope was a little fiddly, but when you get use to the Finderscope and Tripod, future assembly becomes a breeze. Within a few minutes the Travel Scope goes from neatly packed (in the supplied back-pack) to ready to use.

Two eyepieces were provided with my package. A 20mm and a 10mm.
The 20mm eyepiece is very sharp, providing a great view of the night sky. The 10mm view is slightly dimmer and harder to get use (without a very clear sky)... but one view of Jupiter makes it all worthwhile. On my first nights use i couldn't believe i could make out 4 moons around Jupiter.... until i checked the following night and realised i was indeed seeing jupiters moons. STAGGERING! Bear in mind i live in a tightly packed urban area and the skies haven't been very kind to me. With a completely clear night or a more rural setting i can only imagine the quality of the images i'll see.

I bought a Barlow lens, moon filter and 4mm lens shortly after receiving the scope. The Barlow and Moon filter are highly recommended (check reviews for specific one's available).
The 4mm lens is good, but bear the following in mind. The scope can only reach a "useful magnification" of x160 and the 4mm gives a x100 magnification. Just be aware that the higher the magnification, the clearer the skies need to be or you will end up with a more blurry image. I love the 4mm, but in my opinion you couldn't push the magnification much further without lowering the quality of the image. In short, get use to the scope, eyepieces and astronomy in general before committing to further lenses.

The tripod does have it's issues, but with some practice this becomes less of a problem. You cannot make fine adjustments which makes tracking objects harder, but with practice you WILL get great views of objects within the scopes magnification potential. A better tripod would help and would elevate this review to 5 stars no problem.

Overall i'd say this is a great package. Even if I do upgrade to more professional kit, the lenses provided and experience gained here will be invaluable. In addition, this scope is great to whip out at a moments notice, and the views you get will make you smile everytime. The tripod may not be great, but i have no issues with the scope itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this scope, 26 April 2013
I chose this telescope because of it's light weight and ease of use. I already own a Celestron powerseeker 127EQ telescope which is a lot heavier than this one and, having Arthritis in one hand i needed something a lot lighter to carry about. This Travel Scope fitted all my requirements, and is living up to my expectations. For such a cheap, light Telescope, and ease of setting up, one can not go wrong. Can't wait to get it out on high ground for some serious Astronomy. A lovely Scope to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestron Travel scope, 3 Jan 2013
This telescope is ideal for me to take away in my motorhome and still be able to follow the night sky as I would at home on my larger telescope. The lense is crystal clear it is mobile and easy to erect, fantastic little telescope.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for astronomy, 29 Jun 2010
I bought this to do some star-gazing with my 9 year old daughter. It comes in a neat backpack and its compact size definitely made her feel it was 'her' telescope. For the price, I thought the optics were pretty good and this entry-level scope benefits from the parentage of a company like Celestron. However, this is probably best categorised as an budget general-purpose telescope: don't buy this for astronomy. It is badly let down by the tripod, which is definitely not "photographic standard", as claimed [I have a budget Slik tripod for my SLR which is ten times better]. Even looking at the full moon was problematic: just tightening the screw on the tripod mount was enough to move the scope way off target - and the moon is a big target! Once lined-up, the image was pretty reasonable and we enjoyed looking at the detail of the lunar surface. Inspired by this, my daughter excitedly asked if we look at the pole star, which proved practically impossible to align and I knew then this was going back. Bottom line is you get what you pay for: as the box says, this is for "casual astronomy", whatever that is!