Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 March 2010
I wouldn't class myself as a huge fan of B.R.M.C. although I do have all their material. Usually, I find their albums a little hit and miss with signs of genius slightly tarnished with glimpses of mediocrity but never rubbish. So, any new material from the Black Rebels is always purchased with this in mind - expecting a mixed bag. Four days after purchasing, I am still unable to remove Beat The Devil's Tattoo from my system due to the pure class of sound generated from the high quality production levels. New band member, Leah Shapiro's pounding and rhythmic drumming compliment the heavy and fuzzy guitars of Levon Been and Hayes superbly, creating a very dark rock album of pure genius with no fillers, which also changes the dynamics of the band, dare I say, for the better. A couple of intricately placed tracks slow up the pace a little but serve a poignant purpose of giving the listener a brief respite before exploding into more deep, heavy mind-blowing bangers. The only thing that could make this compliation better would've been another disc with 13 more tracks of the same quality but that would've resulted in total overload. So, another of this immense quality please, Black Rebels, and this listener would be experiencing uncontrollable raptures. You might want to consider the limited edition that contains two extra tracks - I wish I'd had the foresight to do so. A highly recommended purchase for anybody who likes to seriously rock-out! 2010 could be the year of the Black Rebel M.C.
on 27 April 2010
First, this is not a return to Howl as other reviews have pointed out.

Good points - they have stayed true to their lazy, sleazy guitar sound with interesting lyrics to force home the track. Sticking with the formula on BRMC, TTOOYO and Baby 81 the opener has their typical drawling guitars all over it, and the second track is a little more up tempo. They have also included this sound with a more traditional sort of soul feel on a number of occasions, maybe this is where the Howl comparisons have come from.

Bad point - I really only have one. To me the end of this album really tails off in to a depressing mood at the end. Their sound can be sexy, it can have a kind of defiant attitude or it can be melancholy. Instead one this one it drops off in to some depressing areas. Whilst listening to it for the first time, my wife came home and asked me what the suicide music was. It was hard to disagree. Apart from that it's a solid album and definitely one that fans will enjoy.
on 18 October 2011
This fifth album from San Franciscan group BRMC sees Bass player Robert Levon Been and guitarist Peter Hayes combine to make some of their dirtiest blues rock riffs yet! Closer to the original eponymous album than recent efforts, it does have some mellower moments, like "Sweet Feeling" and the Dylanesque "The Toll". Highly recommended and, while some of the tracks are instantly catchy, the album as a whole definitely grows on you with repeated listens.
on 15 September 2014
Although there are some classic songs on here, there are many fillers with the same monotonous tempo and drumbeat. BRMC have some classic, timeless songs but this is far from their vest work. Best songs include Aya, title track and The Toll
on 4 October 2015
A little patchy in places but still containing some solid songs, this has more of the fuzz sound first heard on their debut. Not as memorable as their self titled first album or 'Baby 81' and less disciplined than 'Howl' but still a welcome addition.
on 28 March 2010
I had been itching to get my hands on this album for so long and got it the day of release, it hasn't been off my ipod! I am definatly not dissapointed its fantastic. I agree with the first two reviewers their isn't a bad track on it. It isn't a return to howl as much as I would have loved that, it's just a fantstic rock album pure BRMC. It has all their trademarks bit's of blues and plenty of base, you fall in love with Robert and Pete's voices all over again, their's a bit of country and a bit of slow stuff mixed in just right! Leah is a fantastic addition to the band and brings with her some tremendous drumming.

If you love the Album wait til you see it live cause it'll blow you out of the water!
on 9 March 2010
This Album is utterly, utterly fantastic! I wish I could squeeze in some more stars, 'cause 5 is nowhere near enough. Genuinely not a single bad track, totally devoid of filler. The band continues to put out yet another flawless collection. I cannot stress how brilliant this CD is. Beg, steal or borrow a copy and feast on the best rock album you will hear this year.
B.R.M.C, thank you!
on 14 February 2013
Bought this as part of my son-in-law's Christmas present - he was delighted!!! I would add that it was on his Christmas list!!!
on 29 November 2014
The delivery of this item was much faster than I had expected, My son will be delighted with it!! Thank you
on 12 November 2015
Discovered them by accident heard one of there songs on F1 nice range of songs on this album