5.0 out of 5 stars A Deep, Heavy Masterclass
Published on 12 Mar 2010 by The Critic Ali Insane

3.0 out of 5 stars The tatooed Devil hides in details
Neither as fresh and good as B.R.M.C. or as deep and good as Howl, this album is only slightly better than Baby 81. 10 good tracks are always better than 15 tracks, some of them barely memorable. I like heavy psychedelia but was expecting something fresher than that from BRMC.
Published on 6 July 2010 by Stan FREDO

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Deep, Heavy Masterclass, 12 Mar 2010
This review is from: Beat The Devil's Tattoo (Audio CD)
I wouldn't class myself as a huge fan of B.R.M.C. although I do have all their material. Usually, I find their albums a little hit and miss with signs of genius slightly tarnished with glimpses of mediocrity but never rubbish. So, any new material from the Black Rebels is always purchased with this in mind - expecting a mixed bag. Four days after purchasing, I am still unable to remove Beat The Devil's Tattoo from my system due to the pure class of sound generated from the high quality production levels. New band member, Leah Shapiro's pounding and rhythmic drumming compliment the heavy and fuzzy guitars of Levon Been and Hayes superbly, creating a very dark rock album of pure genius with no fillers, which also changes the dynamics of the band, dare I say, for the better. A couple of intricately placed tracks slow up the pace a little but serve a poignant purpose of giving the listener a brief respite before exploding into more deep, heavy mind-blowing bangers. The only thing that could make this compliation better would've been another disc with 13 more tracks of the same quality but that would've resulted in total overload. So, another of this immense quality please, Black Rebels, and this listener would be experiencing uncontrollable raptures. You might want to consider the limited edition that contains two extra tracks - I wish I'd had the foresight to do so. A highly recommended purchase for anybody who likes to seriously rock-out! 2010 could be the year of the Black Rebel M.C.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for a present, 14 Feb 2013
Bought this as part of my son-in-law's Christmas present - he was delighted!!! I would add that it was on his Christmas list!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty damn good stuff, 26 July 2012
This review is from: Beat The Devil's Tattoo (Audio CD)
I liked this very much, although I personally found Black Rebel's earlier music. This is still very good, and arrived in supreme condition. Now every time I need my creative juices to flow I just plug this on!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dirty Black Motorcycles, 18 Oct 2011
N. Murray (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beat The Devil's Tattoo (Audio CD)
This fifth album from San Franciscan group BRMC sees Bass player Robert Levon Been and guitarist Peter Hayes combine to make some of their dirtiest blues rock riffs yet! Closer to the original eponymous album than recent efforts, it does have some mellower moments, like "Sweet Feeling" and the Dylanesque "The Toll". Highly recommended and, while some of the tracks are instantly catchy, the album as a whole definitely grows on you with repeated listens.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shoe gaze masterclass, 27 April 2010
G. Hill "grahamthill" (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beat The Devil's Tattoo (Audio CD)
First, this is not a return to Howl as other reviews have pointed out.

Good points - they have stayed true to their lazy, sleazy guitar sound with interesting lyrics to force home the track. Sticking with the formula on BRMC, TTOOYO and Baby 81 the opener has their typical drawling guitars all over it, and the second track is a little more up tempo. They have also included this sound with a more traditional sort of soul feel on a number of occasions, maybe this is where the Howl comparisons have come from.

Bad point - I really only have one. To me the end of this album really tails off in to a depressing mood at the end. Their sound can be sexy, it can have a kind of defiant attitude or it can be melancholy. Instead one this one it drops off in to some depressing areas. Whilst listening to it for the first time, my wife came home and asked me what the suicide music was. It was hard to disagree. Apart from that it's a solid album and definitely one that fans will enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars ....while listening I was compelled to review!!!, 9 Mar 2010
C. S. Lockley (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This Album is utterly, utterly fantastic! I wish I could squeeze in some more stars, 'cause 5 is nowhere near enough. Genuinely not a single bad track, totally devoid of filler. The band continues to put out yet another flawless collection. I cannot stress how brilliant this CD is. Beg, steal or borrow a copy and feast on the best rock album you will hear this year.
B.R.M.C, thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!!, 28 Mar 2010
I had been itching to get my hands on this album for so long and got it the day of release, it hasn't been off my ipod! I am definatly not dissapointed its fantastic. I agree with the first two reviewers their isn't a bad track on it. It isn't a return to howl as much as I would have loved that, it's just a fantstic rock album pure BRMC. It has all their trademarks bit's of blues and plenty of base, you fall in love with Robert and Pete's voices all over again, their's a bit of country and a bit of slow stuff mixed in just right! Leah is a fantastic addition to the band and brings with her some tremendous drumming.

If you love the Album wait til you see it live cause it'll blow you out of the water!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Aug 2014
This review is from: Beat The Devil's Tattoo (Audio CD)
Love this cd every tracks a Winner

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best yet, 4 Oct 2010
Deep and dark rock from BRMC who for me are one of the best live bands around too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Check out the songs live!!, 17 May 2010
Botteghi Edmondo (Italy) - See all my reviews
After I saw a few live performances of BRMC on Youtube I decided to buy all their cds on Amazon up to Baby81 (Beat the Devil's Tattoo wasn't out yet).
In the beginning I was quite attracted to Baby81 but as time went by I begun to like the earlier material just as much.
Getting back to Beat the Devil's Tattoo, my impression is that it is yes a step backwards towards earlier material but in a much more mature way. Baby81 almost sounds "commercial" compared to it and BTDT grows on you if you have the patience to listen to it over a few times, maybe at the right volume when you're alone at home.
A couple of weeks ago I had the chance to see BRMC live in Bologna, Italy, and they literally blew me away. All the songs were amazing and the show was really refreshing, energetic and "rock'n'roll".
They played a mix of old and new songs for over 2 hours. The new material is great live, raw, full of feeling and atmosphere.
Whatever their influences may be I believe that BRMC have a place of their own in the rock'n'roll world, plus, I like their down-to-earth attidude.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Beat The Devil's Tattoo
Beat The Devil's Tattoo by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (Audio CD - 2010)