5.0 out of 5 stars Price aside, these are the best headphones I've ever tried
Keeping this short. These headphones are the best I've used. Having come from a robust pair of comparably priced Shure headphones, I do prefer these X10s.

Published 14 months ago by jtromans

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but you have to know this....
Published on 2 Nov. 2012 by Dennis

5.0 out of 5 stars Price aside, these are the best headphones I've ever tried, 7 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Klipsch Image X10i Noise Isolating In-Ear Headset with 3-Button Mic for iPhone / iPod - Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)

I purchased mine for just under £100, which I think is very good value for money. Would I pay the RRP of £249.99? Yes, probably I would. I have listed my pros and cons below. The pros are numerous. However, one thing people have written a lot about is the build quality. It is safe to safe the Shure headphones I used are heavier and more robust, but with that said, I've been using the X10s now for 6 months and there is little to no sign of wear and tear. If you look after your headphones I can imagine that these will last years with daily use.

Pros
- They are excellent at isolating noise. I use them in the London underground tube daily and come close to isolating all external noise when listening to my favourite music. The seal they make in my ear is great.
- The sound quality is excellent, both at the top and bottom end.
- They are extremely lightweight. Great for runners.
- They are extremely comfortable.
- They come with a range of accessories including changeable ear buds for different sized ears
- Very little noise is transmitted to your ears if you happen to knock the cabling or rub it
- Looks pretty great

Cons
- They build quality is good, but they are slightly less robust that I would like (this is tempered by the fact that they are so lightweight).

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but you have to know this...., 2 Nov. 2012
I have spent more money on expensive earphones than on almost any other electronic item. I've owned Shure se530s, and 2 x Image x10is previously. The Shure's had excellent sound quality, but were unwieldy and uncomfortable. They both eventually failed. The x10is have been the finest pair of earphones that I have enjoyed. They are small and incredibly light with an amazing depth of sound. The small rubber ear buds fit me perfectly, forming an air tight seal that is both secure and very comfortable. The remote is handy if you like me, wander around your city listening to music or internet radio and would like to receive phone calls. I also appreciate the excellent microphone located in the remote.

So all good and for a while I was the happiest consumer and even recommended these to several others. The problem with these (and the x10) is the cable support for the 3.5mm jack. All three of these babies have split in almost exactly the same way at the cable support, leaving exposed wires that will move you to reinforce this vulnerable area with tape. So common is this problem that a few weeks ago when on the tube, I noticed a chap sitting next to me with cellotape reinforced cable support just like mine. When I looked at his ears, I noticed he had same Image x10is. I tapped him on the arm showing him my similarly taped up cable and we both shook our respective heads in unison, and in acknowledgement, of what is clearly a systematic problem.

Listen, I love these, and am sure that the cable support is overly strained because I use them with my phone in my pocket. A friend of mine (who uses his infrequently) carries his in his breast or shirt pocket and has had no such problems. I leave you to your own conclusions.

These are very good I have not been deterred. When used with MEElectronics TRRS adapter for select Nokia, Samsung, and Sony Ericsson phones - 3.5mm 4-pin jack to 3.5 4-pin plug I now can extend the less than robust cable support so it lives outside of my pocket and still enjoy the remote features and microphone. So far (it's been a few months) so good.

3.0 out of 5 stars seriously amazing but let down by the cable, 11 Aug. 2011
RGP (Maldon, UK) - See all my reviews
These are truly brilliant! I have had a lot of experience with headphones, having studied music technology at university and worked in several professional studios, and I can honestly say that these are some of the best I have ever used, certainly the best in-ear ones.

My only problem with them is that the cable is not up to the job. After about 5 months of, to be honest, pretty light use, it has already split around the jack connection, exposing bare wire. I would understand this if I had used them everyday or for jogging but I haven't, mostly I use them whilst sitting in a chair at home and they are always kept in a case. This is unacceptable for headphones of this price and I will be contacting Klipsch to ask for a replacement pair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound quality, not so good on the build quality, 13 July 2012
Mike (LONDON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've had a lot of earphones over the years and without doubt, these are by far the best. Yes they are quite a bit more expensive than your average set but if you love music, you'll love these. I listen to everything from Death Metal to Jazz and the X10i never fail to disappoint. The clarity on offer is sensational and they always maintain a neutral balance on music. If you're a dance music fan and expect the bass to come through stronger, these are not for you. They do exactly what a good earphone should do and do not add any colouration to the source. Don't get me wrong, bass weight and depth is there but not excessive. A good test of any earphone is how easily you can follow a bass guitar on some of the faster metal tracks and I can hear baselines through these I could not hear on lesser equipment. The other great thing about these is the fit. With the super flexi bud options they provide, you get a very tight fit that stays in when running. In fact, if I had to complain then when the rubber gets a little old, it actually comes off the earphone and sticks in your ear. But the bas news is the build quality just isn't there. I use mine every day for at least 3 hours and I've had to send 2 pairs back. The rubber grommit that connects the cable to the copper barrel is highly prone to splitting - both at the bottom and the elbow. Once this happens you cannot get the earphone out without stressing the cable which is obviously only going to end in it coming off. But the good news is with a 2 year warranty, there was no problem exchanging and I haven't even considered looking at a different model. It's all about the quality of the sound at the end of the day and I've not found anything to beat these (including other 'premium' brands which I doubt I'll be allowed to name in this review).

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm surprised, 19 Feb. 2014
V. Fernandes - See all my reviews
I'm surprised at how this earphones are so well regarded and praised. I have been using triplefi 10 for 2 years, decided to get something more confortable, read a lot of reviews and ended up buying the x10i.

Wow, the difference in sound is night and day. First of all the x10i has a lot of sibilance on my iphone 5, the double flange tips made it more bearable, but on the triple fi I never got any annoying highs at all with any tips at all.
Then there's the bass, yes its there, but nowhere near as good as on the triplefi. In fact these earphones sound only barely better than the apple earphones which came for free.

I just bought some foam tips to see if the sound improves, I can take a loss on sound for a better confort, but this is too much.

The only impressive thing was the controller which also works on my macbook and ipad perfectly. Tested with all apps including VLC.

Conclusion - All people here praising these earphones have probably never heard good ones, so they have nothing to compare, I doubt anyone who has tried a triplefi would give these more than 4stars. In fact, if the sound doesnt improve with the foams, then Ill send them back and buy again a triplefi.

UPDATE - Have been using foam tips now, I must say the sililance is almost completely gone, also, bass is improved and confort has increased, to be honest the gel tips from klipsch were making some air pressure on my ears, all fixed with the foam tips. Isolation has also improved. Therefore I raised my review to 4stars.

UPDATE 2 - I am more and more impressed with these, in fact I don't wont to go back to triple fi's, you lose a bit of sound quality but you gain so much in return, the small size makes it easy to put in the pocket, the remote is so useful, the comfort is amazing and to my surprise the cable is super strong, yes Ive had it pulled several times, have sit on top of them, all still perfect.

I still can't raise this review to 5 stars because the cable is too long (in my job I have to bend over several times and the cable gets trapped on my knees. Its more like a 4.5/5 for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant sound but build quality is poor, 7 May 2011
N. Simpson - See all my reviews
Welcome to my review, let me start by saying that I love my music and was fed up of listening to it being murdered by the bundled Apple headset from my iPhone, so in the last 3 years I have owned the following headphones - Bose QuietComfort 3 Acoustic Noise Cancelling On-Ear Headphones QC3, Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Studio High Definition Headphones - Black, Klipsch Image - High Performance Noise-Isolating In ear headphones, Monster Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD with ControlTalk Headphones - Black, looking to find the perfect ones for me was not easy :D

Well it has taken me quite a while and a fair bit of money to reach this point, when I had the Bose QC3 I was generally happy with them, they were excellent on the plane but the sound distorted at the top end and they lacked bass!! I then heard the hype about the Studios by Dre and decided to sell the Bose to fund them (big mistake) I returned them within 2 days, leaked way too much sound and felt cheap and nasty.

So again I was on the look out for a replacement, I decided on the Klipsch Image - High Performance Noise-Isolating In ear headphones, I loved them, amazing sound from such a small unit, perfect for the gym, on the plane, at home infact they ticked everybox minus one.....the ability to change volume/track from the wire, however no big deal I lived with it. All was well until one day my "better" half decided to run the dyson over them, bye bye headphones, apparantly it was my fault for leaving them lying about, I suppose she was right!! Thank god for insurance, £50 excess paid and I received a £170 Amazon gift voucher.

Next I went for the Solo HD's, I should have learned from the experience of the Studios, after about a week one of the ear cushions came away as I was walking around on holiday and was lost, never buying a Monster product again!!! Amazon were great and issued a refund, there was no doubt in my mind what I was going to buy now, Klipsch Image X10i Noise Isolating In-Ear Headset with 3-Button Mic for iPhone / iPod - Black!!!

So they arrived today, the control functions work perfectly with my iPhone 4, I must say that I don't think they sound as great as my X10's did but I am sure that is just because they are new, after a bit of "burn in" they will be as fantastic as my X10's were.

If you can afford to spend £170 on headphones then I would urge you to try these, the sound is just amazing, so warm with tight punchy bass. Well balanced for all music types from dance to classical. I am not sure there is any others that can compete at this price point.

One criticism I have is that the case you get with the X10/X10i is too small in my opinion, I don't want to crush my £170 headphones into a tiny case, Klipsch should still use the larger case they used to have in my opinion.

With these headphones you must try all the different ear buds to get the perfect fit, the large double flange ones work best for me but I have decided to have some custom ear moulds made by ACS, once I have these then I am sure the Image X10i will be the ultimate listening experience for me!!!!

These do need handled with care, I can see them being very fragile, have seen on Klipsch forum the strain reliefs splitting and from what i can gather if you buy outside of the US/Canada you only get 12 months warranty not the 24 months you get on the other side of the Atlantic, which I think is highly unfair too.

Overall though I happy with my purchase.

UPDATE!!!!

I have had 2 replacements due to the iPod control going wrong, I can't keep putting up with them breaking, Amazon have refunded no problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars They are still great after a year of constant use, 7 Feb. 2014
Diana (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It is a great product at insulating external noise, good bass and overall sound quality if inserted properly deep into ear canal. These are the best in-ear headphones I had so far. The cable is very durable, it looked flimsy at first, but over a year of using, pulling, twisting, accidental yanking, it didn't break and proved to be made from good quality materials. There were many times when the cable tangled itself around my bicycle's handle bar and I accidentally pulled it with force, yet making no damage to the cord.

Facts to note:
- If left too long in your ears, they will start inching your ear canals, but this is generally applicable to all objects inserted into ear canals
- not ideal for running since the noise from movement of the cable is audible, this can be eliminated by not letting the cable hang freely
- the clip does not stay on the cable for too long, attachment mechanism is too loose, I don't use the clip as it tends to detach itself from the cable
- also encountered the common problem with the cord near the earbuds being split apart

To summarise, I would buy this product again. There are little design faults, but the overall quality is still at a high standard, after a year of constant use, they still work great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound quality and good for small ears, 28 July 2010
I have small(ish) ears, an iphone 4, and wanted something to replace my etymotic ER4 (without remote). The Klipsch x10i headphone are great for small ears, due to their very small size and variety of silicon ear pieces. I ended up finding the smallest ones the most comfortable, although it is a little scary how far in they go--but they are exceptionally comfortable.

The sound quality is the best I've heard, with most of my music cut at AAC 256 to 312 kbs, and although I really liked the etymotic, the sound on these is much better range and I prefer the balancing (you can tell I am NOT an audiophile, just a keen listener of music).

The controls work very well with my iphone 4, including the volume, mic, pause, start, and skip to next song.

Not cheap, and probably worth it only if you have music that is at high resolution on an iphone 3 or 4.

Bought at Apple Store in London, which made the purchase easy, and 'say' that one has 14 days to try them out and return them if one does not like them (which I did not do).

[The above review was written July 2010]

[Revisit review June 2012]
I've now had the Klipsch Image X10i for almost two years. My experience over the last two years has been:
(a) Still maintain that they are excellent sound quality and comfort.
(b) By November 2011 (i.e. after 17 months) the cord near the earbuds had started to split. I found online that this was a 'known' problem, discussed and documented by people, and likely to happen for people with specific oils in their hands, that caused the wire to become more brittle. I went back to Apple Store and they gave me a replacement, no questions asked. The replacement evidently was a 'new' version of the Klipsch, that no longer suffered from the oil on the hands, splitting problem.
(c) In May 2012, the cord at the plug part became seperated (? my fault, not sure) and again, Apple was nice enough to take them back. They did not have a replacement X10i, so gave me a pair of Klipsch 4 to try for a week (and the rest of my 'money' on an Apple card) which did not sound near the quality, nor comfort, as the X10i, so I returned them. I'm now deciding whether to get the X10i again (through Amazon, as now down to £160) or something else, but still really like these X10i, despite construction issues, for their sound and comfort.
(d) The only other annoying item in these, is that the clip quickly falls off (poor design) and the clip is important to reduce the cord bouncing around. I finally bought 20 clips online on ebay for a few pounds.

I still recommend these Klipsch X10 for small ears, sound, and comfort, but do be forewarned that they are not the most rugged headphones out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Had £100 To Find The Perfect Earphones, 22 Mar. 2014
Disclaimer: I'm no audiophile—just someone who uses a lot of public transport.

These were the ones I tried:
Shure SE215
Etymotic HF5s
Klipsch Image X10i

The Shures weren't really that impressive—the sound was good but not great, the isolation was good, but I found them very uncomfortable and a pain to put into my hears. You have to wrap them around your ears and spend ages trying to get a good fit. They weren't worth £100 in my opinion

The Etymotics had great sound, great isolation put they are big and in-ear, so they do get uncomfortable quite quickly. I also found that if I chew with them on, they fall out.

The Klipsch have great sound, great isolation (it's scary how little you can hear) and they're very comfortable since they're so small. My only complaints are that they do struggle with cable noise (the sound made when the cable rubs against your clothes) and the cable/jack seem very cheaply made. I could imagine these breaking in a few months. But so far they're brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best on market, 17 Feb. 2013
I've had these earphones for over a year now and they are still working perfectly and are the best ive ever had! I have decided it's time I wrote a review after they proved how good they are the other day. As I was out jogging at slow pace then doing short sprint burst. On my final burst before I got home, I caught my thumb on the wire so hard that the units came out of my ear, plug came out of the socket and a part of the wire stretched to twice its size, the force I caught it at also left a small burn mark on my hand. I thought it was game over and the wire inside would be snapped, but the rubber wire cover returned to its normal size and the earphones and remote still worked perfectly.

Would never buy anything else (if these terminator earphones ever break..... If???