Platform: PC|Change

on 1 July 2010
I know some people won't agree but I find that this game (and it's predecessor ofcourse) give endless options in the storyline. I have only played 2 different races because the storylines are so complex I don't have to time to play all.

The other top RP/fantasy games (World of Warcraft) just don't compare, through storyline options anyway. Graphics are great and the game controls are excellent, they are a cross between World of Warcraft & Final Fantasy 12 controls, but a lot more options. The npc interaction is amazing also.

Definately recommend purchasing, wish I could still play it atm, but my computer has the dreaded BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) but i know nothing to do with installing this game.
on 7 April 2010
I found Awakenings frustrating mainly - and that was before the bugs. It had some nice ideas such as being the lord of an area, sentient darkspawn and new specialisations. Unfortunately they all suffer from being poorly implemented or just completed ignored. For instance it makes effectively no difference what you do as lord apart from minor differences in the epilogue (which suffers from being multiple choice anyway - see bugs).

The new Spirit Warrior specialisation which involves your character making a deal with a fade spirit could have been a fascinating side quest or even developing the Fade spirit as an NPC....instead you drop 8gp for a manual and no-one mentions that they can see through you as you phase in and out of the Fade. The other specialisations suffer from exactly the same problem - Velenna won't teach you Keeper, Sigrun won't teach you Scout regardless of approval or personal choices. And as is somewhat traditional for expansion pack features they are insanely overpowered compared to the choices available in Origins.

I found the companions flat and completely expendable - certainly compared to Origins where I debated my choices desperate to avoid approval hits. In this if you take a companion with you you will have +100 with them with pathetic ease - for instance doing a 2 minute side quest with Anders will net you +32 approval with him.

Others have mentioned the bugs so I will just point out one of the most obvious depending on your final choices your codex will display one fate for companions and the keep whilst the epilogue mentions something completely different down to who lives and dies and the whether the keep falls or not.

In summary: too easy, too flat and far too buggy: avoid - or at the very least wait for all the bug fixes and the price to go down.
on 2 April 2010
Seems like Electronic Arts used up their entire game budget for this title in the original release, employing such notable character voices as Kate Mulgrew (Voyager) and Claudia Black (Stargate, Farscape) to bulk up the appeal. No such iconic celebrities this time round, and the opening chapter is just an elongated Bug Hunt through an invaded keep which is really boring for an opener. Quests soon open up but sadly all the appeal of the original game seems to have been lost. Those characters you fell in love with an took pains to gain high approval ratings from have gone, so you may as well start with a new character rather than bemoan that huge loss, and the game designers really missed a trick - they should have used some kind of aging algorithm on your character to turn his/her hair grey, as time has clearly passed....that would have been an interesting treat to see but they didn't want to make much effort. All the programming was done for the original game and this is just another bunch of levels using largely the same graphics set, so it's almost all profit for Electronic Arts. If you got under the skin of the original and explored the intricate and hidden side quests, this will be a disappointment as it's a bit too in-your-face. Still, the original was just about the best RPG ever (how could it fail with that massive EA budget behind it), so this one will deffinitely attract a lot of fans who'll ignore the disappointments and just get on and play it, and probably give it higher ratings than I've done. Big tip: play your main character as a rogue as there are locked doors and chests from the very beginning that no other character class can access, and you won't lose out because you are quickly joined by a warrior and a mage anyway to take care of everything else.
on 26 April 2010
Let me start this review with a bit of info for those who consider buying this (after enjoying Dragon Age Origins) consider this game to be a bit of filler before Dragon Age 2.

Right, now that's out of the way where do I begin? Awakening doesn't add anything new to the table that Origins had already given us. In fact, suffice it to say, Awakening takes away things that was in Origins. Gone are the romances (I guess your character's heart belongs to either Alistair, Morrigan, Leliana or Zevran at this point), gone are a lot of your favourite characters from the first game, gone is the chance to openly chat with party members whenever/wherever, gone is the incredibly easy method of acquiring runes (we'll get to that later).

To make a long story short what made the first one so great has been taken away for this add-on, how can they fluff-up an add-on so much? While the story is interesting it has a sloppy pay-off at the end. Probably because of the short game-play time (shorter than what Bioware had mentioned - 12hrs). The new characters we get aren't as engaging and I would blame that on, like I said before, the fact you cannot interact with them whenever you want to. In the end we get a wizard who's a bit cocky, a elf wizard who's a bitch (not like the Morrigan way either, more the you-really-want-to-hit-her-with-your-axe way) and then there's the undead warrior (who was pretty cool in the black armour).

Second is the rune system. Unless you have a character who is skilled at making runes you're going to be spending a lot of time, effort and money in making some half-way decent rune for your weapons and armour. I had spent ages - and a lot of gold - going outside with one of the party members who can make runes, make a few runes, run back inside buy components, run outside, make more runes, run back inside and so on and so on... the rune system in this is RUBBISH. I hate every time consuming bit of it!

OK, to sum everything up. This add-on suffers from too many cut back and additional busy-work crafting systems that you feel less involved than before. That being said, while the story is interesting, the characters are alright with some distinguishing features, this add-on can be considered as simple filler. Hopefully, to pass the little time for a more superior sequel in the future. Either that, or, a better add-on that brings back some decent characters, and better interaction with them, and does away with the rune-making system.
on 5 July 2010
I must admit, after the very epic Origins it was hard for the expansion pack to follow up on that. However, the original plot did leave enough questions unanswered to allow a decent expansion pack story to be told. Unfortunately Awakening pulls a very generic and arbitrary plot out of its arse and your previous decisions make have almost no impact at all.

While the basic Dragon Age formula works again, it lacks the passion and dedication of the Origins game.
on 23 October 2010
My husband loves this game and he has all the collection so far. Plays brilliantly and extremely happy with how quick it was sent to us. Just in time for my husbands birthday. GREAT.
on 4 June 2012
i play dragon age:origin 3 years ago. this expansion game origin story is continued. graphic, sound and gameplay fantastic. i love dragon age series. absolutely play this game
on 6 May 2013
Although it's not as good as orignal Origins, it is still a cool little add on and considering it's incredibly cheap definitely worth buying if you ask me!
on 3 November 2011
A Nice Addition to the Game for more skills like Rune Crafting for your weapon's & Gear.For more information go to the Dragon Age Wiki site.
on 21 November 2010
I played through the original DA:O almost every evening, after putting my kids to bed, from the moment I took the shrink-wrap off, to the moment I first completed it. I didn't do the same with Awakenings - it came as no shock to me that this expansion was what nearly all expansion packs are.

Awakenings amounts to a protracted opportunity to enjoy the combat and looting mechanics of the game a bit more, there's much loot/XP to be had, and a small swathe of new NPCs. Without spoilers, the player has a rather limited scope for kicking off the storyline, but that's understandable as the expansion is really a continuation for your character from DA:O;

"You're a Grey Warden, and we can't end the game here, so obviously here's some more Grey Warden stuff to do, OK?".

Enough new content is bundled to polish this "extra few levels" experience, and OK, it's good, if you take it for what it is. There just isn't a deep, meaningful addendum to the storyline of the original.

For you, this might be a deal-breaker. I went in with a "Terminator 17: Rise of the Toasters" level of expectation. I came out feeling I got exactly what I paid for, it was a cheap, fun opportunity to revisit the *MECHANICS* of the game.

Why have I repeated and emphasised that this is about the mechanics of the game? Well, for better or worse, while the story was a big part of the deal in DA:O, in Awakenings, it's meaningless. I felt no impetus at all to complete it, none of the characters engaged me in the slightest, and I didn't care whether I tied up loose ends. The fact I couldn't find an interesting plot is really saying something, as in real life I've many years spent filtering out interesting stuff from what most people would consider dry, stodgy written material.

Awakenings takes things back to the point where the player thinks "Blah, blah, let's click through the dialog - click, click, click." - which is sad really - people look to BioWare titles to avoid taht sort of thing - their games are almost unique in that sense.

It felt a bit like somebody wanted to make a Diabloesque jaunt (yes, I know how screamingly contentious that statement is). They sort of did that, we bought it and played it, it was fun, let's move on.

Some people say it's too short. I disagree - whilst it's not *bad* per se, it has no story or characters to speak of - another 10 hours of play and I might have strangled myself with my mouse cable rather than continue.

I probably sound like I'm being pretty hard on this game, but it's not bad by any means - I'd buy it if you played DA:O - just _be aware of what you're getting_ before you do so.

DA:O is a solid, competent, well-worked cRPG, and Awakenings is a minor expansion pack that adds more monsters and loot.

See one answered question