Never Say Die
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£3.99

on 19 December 2009
There aren't many books that keep me reading half the night but this was one of them.
I get the feeling that whatever path Melanie Davies' life took it would have been interesting as she comes over as sociable, go-getting and loves a bit of glamour.
A motorbike accident in her teens confines her to a wheelchair but her determination to overcome the many health problems that followed would put anyone complaining about minor ailments to shame (myself included!). But this is no sob story, Melanie is a person who, like most of us wants to achieve something good in her life and maybe one day, fall in love.
She manages both, including achievements in sport and associations with the film world to being with the wrong and finally the right man. I felt her moments of frustration and lost confidence to happiness and self-belief, peppered with a good sprinkling of down-to-earth humour.
Towards the end of the book she marries the man who has been there since her accident all those years ago, and sets up her charity TREAT that will make a difference to others who might find themselves as she did - an ordinary person in an extraordinary and shocking situation. It left me feeling - how would I have done?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 January 2010
A well written true life story of courage, it's heart breaking, funny, absolutely enthralling. Just couldn't put it down went to sleep at 04:30 completely exhausted. Deserves 6 stars.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 January 2011
This book will leave you wanting to know more about this incredible woman. Melanie describes, how following a motorbike accident at the age of 15 which left her paralysed from the chest down, she has strived to enjoy every aspect of her life.

You will feel as though you are by her side as she tells of her first few months after the accident and of her first meeting with the consultant (later to become her husband) who carried out surgery on her on the day of her accident.

Melanie will have you laughing out loud as she talks of her time as an "athlete" and you will be moved by her heartwarming experiences on holiday in Gambia. There are a few tears along the way as Melanie's health gives her some scares but overall, this is a story of LOVE, love for her family, love for her friends, love for her husband and most of all, love of her life! Fantastic, I couldn't put it down.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a well written story. It is written in the first person and is an explicit account of the trials faced by a bright lively teenager who becomes a paraplegic.The story takes one through the teen age years to the mature adult.It is frank and honest and describes well the difficulties faced by Mrs Davies in her attempts to take control of her life and achieve independence. There are many tragic events in her life but also many humorous ones. It made me laugh and cry sometimes at the same time. It also made me clench my fists at the many indignities forced on her because of her disability. One thing that is missing from the book however is whining.Although there are long descriptive passages they are so well written that the story is not slow moving. The aims and concept of the TREAT TRUSTare well documented but in no way canvasses support. MRS Davies states in the epilogue "If it (the book) goes anyway towards helping those struggling with life as a paraplegic, then it will have done a valuable job". I think it will certainly do that but I also thing it should be compulsory reading for students of medicine, nursing,physiotherapy and social work. The contents of the book demonstrate a real need for it
on 11 December 2010
At just fifteen years of age Melanie was the victim of an horrific accident. Willowy and beautiful with that,charming, Welsh sense of fun she had the potential to be a model in the world of fashion.
Like many teenage girls Melanie was captivated by the excitement of the biking crowd and soon had a biker-boyfriend. Her parents anxiously tried to persuade her otherwise, all to no avail.
A motorcycle crash left the fifteen year old paralysed from the chest down; with no hope of ever using her legs again. She spent months in a spinal injuries unit unable to move. Various operations helped but could not save her from a life confined to a wheelchair.
Melanie's story is incredibly moving though very funny in parts. It is truly an inspirational one, a 'Must' read. I loved it and give it 5 stars.

PS. I first came across this story on authonomy.com before it was published and couldn't wait to read the actual, physical,book.

The authonomy.com site is set up by Harper Collins for up and coming new writers to showcase their manuscripts and for readers to enjoy and comment.
on 11 October 2011
I bought this book having heard Melanie speak at an event that I was attending where she was accredited as the inspirational speaker for the day..and she was, so my expectations for the book were set at a high level and I was definitely not disappointed. The story....no, the reality...its no story.. of what Mel tells us about her life is nothing more than an education for the vast majority of us who can never imagine what life would be like had we had the experiences that life has thrown at her. The way in which the book is written I could just hear Mel speaking as I read the written word - I couldn't put it down. The way she uses her unique sense of humour lighten moments that for me I couldn't imagine possible; I just couldn't put it down. The way in which she, and Mike, the love of her life have turned so many of their life experiences into positives is nothing short of inspirational and leaves me feeling that there is definitely more that I can do. I will always do whatever I can to support TREAT Trust Wales in becoming the reality that they are both working so hard to achieve.
VINE VOICEon 18 March 2010
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This true story shows how one moment changed the course of Melanie Davies' life forever. One minute she was a 15 year old intent on having fun, and the next she was in hospital with irreversible damage to her spinal cord, and the prospects of never walking again.

This amazingly humbling read takes you through those dark days when she felt her future was almost non-existent, through to the point she is at now. She has risen above the confines of her disability and now looks set to make a difference to many other peoples lives too, with her charity TREAT.

It is worth noting that any monies she earns from this book are going to the charity she began, in order to help other people overcome their disabilities in an environment that seeks not to segregate them from the rest of the world, unlike so many other places.

One of the most noteworthy features of this biography is that the authors do not attempt to mask over the parts that many people may not have even considered. I had never realised how many difficulties must be confronted in order to gain independence again, beyond the obvious of getting used to using a wheelchair and having to increase your upper body strength. I had not considered the implications of, for example, going to the toilet when you cannot sense the need to go, etc. These issues are addressed, but she even manages to portray some of her humour into these difficult-to-write parts.

I think this book is very much worth reading on so many levels. It offers hope to the reader that no matter how difficult life may seem, there is always a way to get through it, as long as you are determined.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book was in equal parts emotional, evocative, thought provoking, and above all, inspirational.
The book begins where a young girl, Melanie Davies, who in May 1980 has a motorbike accident in wales, she is left terribly injured as a result of it, she never walked again and is left paralysed from the chest downwards.
The story progresses through every emotion imaginable, but one emotion that stands out all the way through, is the immense courage and the sheer pluckiness of the Melanie.
She goes on to overcome every hurdle in her way, and gets stronger and kicks life in the seat of it's pants.
At times the book can reduce you to tears, at others you are blown away by the sheer strength of Melanie.
Just when you think that life has thrown everything it can at a girl so young, after all the months of fighting and rehabilitation following the crash, she is involved in another serious road accident, this time in a car, and following that she is diagnosed with breast cancer.
Melanie does what she always does, comes out of the corner fighting it all the way.
She ends up winning medals for wales in athletics, went on to dabble in the film world and set up her own rehabilitation charity, you are left wondering if there really are any ends to Melanie's innumerable talents and bravery.
The loveliest part of the story is that Melanie finds love and marries the surgeon who told her she would never walk again.
Finishing this book, I find myself in awe of someone so brave, and am humbled reading her story.
Thank you Melaine, for sharing your frank and honest story with us, YOU are a true STAR!
on 6 September 2010
I have nothing but admiration for Melanie, with all she has gone through and still give so much of her time and energy to others.
This book is a must read it will make you smile and cry.
Just the way the author does not let anything that's thrown at her get her down. She is such a positive person it's amazing.
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a real good read about a really good person !
It can be shocking, amusing, sad but all in all it is full of hope.
on 26 June 2010
Such a brilliant read, had me in tears one minute and laughter the next, this woman is amazing, how she coped with the many trauma's faced I do not know, but she smiled her way through it, she deserves all the happiness she has found in her marriage, good luck to them both.a must read.