4.0 out of 5 stars Lock is great. Mount is not
This lock would have got five stars were it not for the almost pointless mounting brackets that the lock is supplied with.

The lock itself is chunky and solid. The lock mechanism is easy to manipulate and setting up your own lock code is a doddle.

Published on 24 Feb 2012 by Dogshark

1.0 out of 5 stars I would avoid using this lock - UPDATED
UPDATE 7th May 2013: Dropped form 5 stars to 1.
I JUST HAD MY BIKE STOLEN.

Published 21 months ago by TotallydubbedHD

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Lock is great. Mount is not, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: MAGNUM ONGUARD DOBERMAN Mountain Bike Coil Lock LK8031 (Misc.)

But I don't know what the manufacturer was thinking providing such a fine lock with such a flimsy mounting bracket.
The mounting point comprises of a very small cheapy plastic nut attached to the lock itself which slots into a plastic mounting bracket. The fit is so loose and the nut is so small that the lock wobbles all over the shop.
I stopped usuing it immidately and instead simply wrapped the lock around the frame and locked it in place when not using.

If I had used the mounting brackets I could just see visions of riding along one day and hitting bump and then watching my lock snap off the mount and go sliding down the road.

So in summary. Great sturdy lock. Terrible mounting system.
If just want a good lock then look no further but if you want a lock where you can actually use the mounting bracket then I recommend you look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic quality at a brilliant price, 21 July 2010
I used this lock every day for a year, the reason I don't use it any more is because I sold it along with my bike when I moved countries - otherwise I believe I would have gotten much much more use out of it.

It's very easy to use, the frame mounting bit was very useful - and the velcro strap keeps the lock nice and tight while riding. However, the strap did start do loose some of its gripping power towards the end of the year, but still did the job fine. I think it's only because of the heavy use it recieved and the poor conditions of the roads I cycled on every day.

I highly recommend this lock, and am in fact buying it again as a gift for someone today.

The glowing numbers are also a nice bonus.

1.0 out of 5 stars I would avoid using this lock - UPDATED, 6 Dec 2012
TotallydubbedHD (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
UPDATE 7th May 2013: Dropped form 5 stars to 1.
I JUST HAD MY BIKE STOLEN.

First of all, I never expected this lock to be cut so easily - That's why I bought it in the first place. However I must have been wrong, as I got my bike stolen a few days ago - and the bike thief, cut the lock, and left it on the ground - I have uploaded pictures to show the cut lock. As much as I liked this lock, I'm disappointed to see it being cut, and more so my bike being stolen. In fairness I should have ALSO bought a D/U lock - but thoughts this would have sufficed.

Furthermore to my disappointment of this lock - and something I'll be contacting the manufacturer about is the mount.
After around 4 months of usage - the mount simply disintegrated. By that I mean - one day I came to put my bike lock on the mount and the mount just broke into 3 pieces. It wasn't able to survive in an English winter/spring weather.

Anyway, long story short - be advised when buying this lock. I made the mistake of not having a D lock and thus lost a 1000 Specialized bike (Police have been made aware).

Be wary, be safe.

Underneath is my old review of this lock - take what I said 5 months ago with a pinch of salt, especially after reading the above:

Absolutely amazed when I got this in.
SUCH A heavy duty type lock, and the cable itself is very much thick - the amazon pictures don't really show this - thus why I've uploaded some pictures, which will give y'all a better idea of how it looks.

My only complaint, as pointed out by others is the little flimsy mount. I feel that it is a little too fickle to be "carrying" such a heavy lock. What I did is make the mount's life easier is by allowing the lock to be resting on the frame of my bike. Thus not putting much strain on the mount itself.
I do have to say that the mount itself is actually very good - it locks into place and stays super sturdy.

Furthermore, the combination numbers are very easily changed. By that I mean, not the process of changing your code (even though that's extremely straight forward to do), what I mean is when you revolve the dials in order to get to your combination. There's a nice groove and edge to the dials, meaning they are very easily changeable.

All-in-all for the under 15 I paid for this lock, I have to say it is by far the best purchase I've made for my bike.
The lock looks and feels super sturdy, the combination changing is made seamlessly, the manufacturers also thought of including two sets of screws, which means the mount can be put on both small and large diameter frames, a Velcro is included to hold the thing together, and finally just to add to the prowess of this lock, a set of plastic covers, which protect you from getting any nasty cuts or scratches from the potentially sharp edges of the screws on your mount. Can't ask for more really, would have even been happy paying 20-25 for this!

Note:
What's included is:
-Lock
-Mount
-Mount backplate
-Set of small screws
-Set of large screws
-A set of plastic covers for the screws
-Velcro that's already on the lock
-Set of instructions for both mounting the lock and changing the combination of the lock

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, can use with gloves, 12 Oct 2012
A. Stevenson (UK) - See all my reviews
The lock is pretty solid, and the tumblers large enough to be usable while wearing gloves.

As with any cable locks, I wouldn't imagine it would take long to cut, but if you use it in combination with a D-lock you should be fine.

The cable is pretty long - long enough to go around both wheels and a fixing point.

Would recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY! Broke on First Use., 9 Mar 2013
Susan (Surbiton, Kingston Upon Thames, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Took this to work, locked the bike up. When I came to unlock it it wouldn't open and one of the turn wheels wasn't clicking as it went round - I assume this meant that even though the right combination was showing it wasn't actually clicked into place. Lucky the building caretaker had a hammer and a chisel. Also probably worth noting that it took him next to no time to remove the lock for me as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 12 Jun 2013
Very strong good quality superior to the old Halfords one that did not last long. Not used on bike but to secure a gate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Made, Quality Bicycle Lock, 20 May 2013
Fast delivery. Well made, quality lock. very easy to change the code form default setting. Comes with a nice mounting bracket although I didn't use this personally, very easy to fit. Feels very solid and I liked the fact it has tamper-proof sides to protect the locking mechanism itself. the velco fastner is a nice touch, makes storage clean and tidy. Would recommend product and I like the fact I don;t have to carry keys around (and risk losing them!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid little product!, 22 April 2013
Always a little wary a cheap prices but this is a bargain! Solid all round, some reviews mention the bracket, I haven't used this as its for a road/race bike and don't need the extra drag so I keep it in my storage pockets. It's a beast of a bike chain for the price, combination lock is really easy to use even with cold hands so a bonus. Thinking of buying another for the kids bikes in the shed as you can easily stretch this to lock up 3 bikes.

5.0 out of 5 stars bike lock, 10 Mar 2013
Very useful not having to have a key all the time is very easy to change the code if you want to would recommend to others

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lock!, 23 Jan 2013
Great lock, very easy to use, nice dial, looks very difficult to get through hopefully will stop the thieves and their wire cutters!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›