5.0 out of 5 stars What a time-saver!
Now here is something worth buying! I have spent 10 years trying to scan my 101 boxes of positive colour-slides and countless 35mm colour and B/W negs, using traditional medium price 'sweep' type film scanners, as time allowed. Quality has always been a bit iffy, lacking in tonal range, but as I use Photoshop for correction, dust removeal, perspective control etc, etc, I...
Published on 30 Mar 2011 by Woody 16

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the job
First the pros. Very easy to set up and use. Out of the box and scanning in a few minutes.
Now onto the cons.
Since I bought my first digital camera in 2002 I have stored my images on the computer with DVD backup. I wanted to work backwards from 2002 and digitise my holiday and family photos from 35mm negatives. This is why I bought the Veho VFS-008. I was...
Published on 15 Nov 2010 by Paul Willcox

‹ Previous | 115 16 1752 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Veho VFS-008 Smartfix Scanner, 12 May 2012
M. F. Strudwick (Romford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veho VFS-008 Smartfix Scan to SD Stand Alone Slide and Negative Scanner (Office Product)
Item arrived very quick for a super saver delivery, the item itself is a great bit of kit, i have already scanned about 2 hundred slides and the results are spectacular apart from a few iffy slides (photographer error), i have also scanned a few colour negative films to see how it performs and the results are just as spectacular. Only slight fault seems to be on the film carrier, the small locating pegs that fit in the film sprocket holes seem to be out of sync with the film and the gaps between the images on the film don't quite match the bars on the film carrier, not a major problem just a bit annoying, (it could be my old camera out of sync) but the scanner itself is great and the carrier for the slides works a treat. The supplied 2GB SD card holds over 2000 pics and you can download from card to PC via usb cable (supplied, also charges battery). The battery takes a while to fully charge, but lasts for hours. So if you have a lot of slides and a few hours spare get yourself one of these, you wont be disappointed. (It's also very cheap) PS. you can display images on the card on your television via RCA sockets (lead supplied). Neat Eh!

5.0 out of 5 stars Veho VFS-008 Film & Slide Scanner, 9 May 2012
Having read other reviews I didn't know what to expect. Some were very critical whilst others complimentary. I have many slides most of which are 25 - 30 years old. I have only just started to copy some of these but results so far are encouraging. I agree with what others have said that the copies do benefit from some enhancement. The bundled software does this OK but I use Photoshop Elements. Dust can be a problem it is important to ensure copier and slide are both dust free before starting. To sum up I am pleased with the results so far and at the special price from Amazon I think this is good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good with caveats, 22 April 2012
Photos lack sharpness (generally, scanned size is 500 to 900kb) but for speed + simplicity + price, I would buy again.
My approach is to get them all digitised and if there are any that have any merit, I'll get them professionally processed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Super results but.., 20 April 2012
When it works it produces super results but I have experienced two problems,the first being that the battery is a bit loose in its container leading to a loss of power on occasions, the second being that the SD card is quite difficult to get to stay in the slot. Maybe I am just unlucky but as I only want the machine for once-only digitising of slides I won't send it back as once you have overcome these problems,it does produce first rate results and is easy to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Veho VFS-008 Smartfix Stand alone Scanner, 17 April 2012
Sandy (U.K. - Oxford) - See all my reviews
Very impressed with this product which was easy to use and managed to convert slides over 40 years old into decent digital prints. Would recommend this item to any amateur photographer as a starting point for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revive lost memories, 17 April 2012
I tried to find a slide scanner in several local outlets before reading the reviews by purchasers of this item as it seemed to be the product I needed. Ordering was easy and delivery was prompt that I soon started to scan my slides of forgotten memories. Instructions for use were clear although as already reviewed care needs to be taken when opening and closing the flexible slide holder. Saving the pictures to computer via the SD card is easy although somehow numbering of the pictures can show an image previously displayed, but when 'opened' will show the recent image scanned. Better to scan and renumber slides a small batch at a time. Otherwise this slide scanner is a very useful 'gismo' that helps revive forgotten memories

4.0 out of 5 stars Veho VFS-008, 17 April 2012
Having a few thousand B/W negs. and piles of slides that were never going to see the light of day again, I needed one of these. This one is easy to use with no unnecessary complications and actually works! We all want better and better resolution, auto-feed and so on but for the price I am very pleased. I'd even point friends at one!Veho VFS-008 Smartfix Scan to SD Stand Alone Slide and Negative Scanner

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat and simple to use, 16 April 2012
Neil Boyd (England) - See all my reviews
Seeing the smart, cylindrical box that the Veho scanner comes in, gave a very exciting initial impression. The packaging is worth keeping to store the unit when not in use. The application software on the included CD-ROM is for Windows only but the manual is an open PDF file. I found it worth having a look at the PDF manual before starting. They recommend a full 5 hour charge of the battery before starting. Charging is done by connecting the scanner to a turned-on computer using the supplied USB cable. The unit will operate whilst it is charging.

Operating the scanner is very simple. Place the slide or negative, shiny side up, into the appropriate holder. There is a nack to opening the holders which feel like they could easily break with careless handling. The holder slides into the scanner from either side but make sure to match the symbol, printed on the end of the holder, to the correct side of the scanner. The holder is manually pushed through the scanner. With the scanner turned on, the image of the slide or negative can be lined up on the LCD display. Choose the image type; slide, negative, black and white or 110. When ready, press the big OK button and after a few seconds the scan is saved to the supplied SD card which slots into the back of the unit. The scanner won't work without the card in place. Any SD card (or microSD card with adapter) can be used. On inserting a new SD card, the scanner will ask to format the card. This creates a JPEG folder on the card (rather than the usual DCIM folder found in cameras) where all scans are saved to. The scanner has no date setting, so all scans are dated 7 January 2008 11:34 with a filename starting at DSC00001.JPG. If you leave the scans on the SD card they will continue sequentially otherwise they start from 00001 each time.

I have found that it takes me about 30 seconds per image to do a complete scan from slide/negative to computer i.e. place negative in holder, scan it, take negative out of holder, and copy scans to a folder on my computer. Photos taken on Fuji film come out with a very noticeable blue tint. I have not had this problem on Kodak, Agfa and others film stock.

I am very please with the scanner. The holders are a little flimsy and need handling with care. The Veho scanner is simple to operate. I like very much that I can operate this away from my computer then take the SD card of scans to my machine. This has made digitizing my old slides and negatives an affordable reality and not just a one-day-may-be dream.

2.0 out of 5 stars possibly got a rogue, 15 April 2012
started off fine then after a few days things started going wrong. images didn't record however after about 3 or 4 attempts I was succesful. but this was unsatisfactory because I had to check after a few images to see if they had taken. Then it started regurgitating images which I had previously deleted from the card instead of recording new ones. After contact with veho tech services (who tried to help and responded to my emails straight away but did not suggest a solution) they advised me to return it to the supplier, which I have not done because with perseverance I can get the images recorded and there is only a finite amount to do.

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate for basic work, 16 Mar 2012
After much consideration, I recently purchased one of these scanners.

First the pros:

Nice build quality and small enough to be unobtrusive
Easy to set up
Simple to use
Scanning of 110 film negatives was acceptable to good
Built-in screen, battery power and scan to SD card is very handy feature meaning there is no need to have the computer switched on until it is time to transfer the images
Set-up guide and manual decent
Bundled software does the job

And the cons:
Low scan resolution of 96dpi means its only really useful for home snaps and not high-quality photo negatives
Scan quality varies quite a bit and I too found many scans were blue washed and needed to be fixed in photoshop
Scanning of 35mm film negatives was quite poor
The unit has very basic controls so there is no way to alter any settings
Inconsistent auto-focus of negatives mean that a few attempts must often be made to get a good scan

Summary
It basically does what it says on the tin and one can achieve acceptable results with a bit of patience and practise (and luck at times). However, I would not recommend this unit to anyone who plans to do anything more than scan mostly 110 negatives for viewing on a computer/TV. If you want to make prints from the scans, get something else.

‹ Previous | 115 16 1752 | Next ›