5.0 out of 5 stars What a time-saver!
Published on 30 Mar. 2011 by Woody 16

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - But not for colour.
I bought this scanner hoping that I could digitize the huge assortment of old negatives that I've accumulated over the years.
I'd always had my doubts about scanners, but after reading all the favourable reviews I plumped for this Veho unit.

Published on 18 Feb. 2011 by G. E. Hearn

5.0 out of 5 stars What a time-saver!, 30 Mar. 2011
Woody 16 "Dave" (Merseyside UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Veho VFS-008 Smartfix Scan to SD Stand Alone Slide and Negative Scanner (Office Product)
Now here is something worth buying! I have spent 10 years trying to scan my 101 boxes of positive colour-slides and countless 35mm colour and B/W negs, using traditional medium price 'sweep' type film scanners, as time allowed. Quality has always been a bit iffy, lacking in tonal range, but as I use Photoshop for correction, dust removeal, perspective control etc, etc, I have laboured on. I calculated that with the years left to me, I'd never finish the job. Then I saw this unit using a CMOS sensor of 5 meg. The price was too cheap to be any good but I bought it having read between the lines of the various reviews, some of the writers obviously expecting miracles at the price. It was an absolute doddle to use and so quick compared to the old scanners I was using, 4 secs scan time each against up to 1 minute for the same size image. Loading is dead easy and I use a blower brush after loading the slides or negs into the holder to remove dust. Colour and B/W negatives come out very well with a very good tonal range needing little correction. Colour slides being inherently of a very high contrast range come out fine provided there are no very bright highlights which affect the auto-exposure setting which tend to burn out. This might be the only downside to this effective scanner but I have managed to complete all my slides in a few weeks with only a small number being discarded, but these were not good slides to start with. However, with tens of thousands of negatives to start on (40 years worth of 35mm format, before going digital in 2000), I look forward to speeding through these over the next few years and we'll see who gives out first, me or the scanner. The fact that the unit can be used remotely is a bonus point and the use of a standard card (SD) is even better. I actually use the unit attached to the PC and delete the images from the card after every box or film (takes a few seconds). The range of holders is good and they are solid compared to some other flimsey plastic devices you see around. The problem you get with black lines along one side is easily cropped where it occurs. It is no problem for me but for someone not used to using editing software, I can see their aprehension. I suggest that the bundled software be used for every scan session before saving into the final file. Colour negs have different background dyes according to the manufacture and the 'adjust colour' will bring it back to normal. Black and white negatives will usually benefit from a bit of contrast adjustment to suit your taste. All told this is a remarkable piece of kit at a stupidly low price. My congratuations to the manufactures (and the retailers). I would be interested in any future higher spec models providing some adjustment before scanning for the problems with colour-slides but this might take away from the extreme ease of use. I am not a professional photographer, just a keen amature wishing to record my life's old fashioned film hobby of the family etc. and I have no vested interest in the sales of this product. I just like to give credit where it is due.

4.0 out of 5 stars Professional and simple to use, 18 Sept. 2010
Phil (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
I decided to pay a little more for a better scanner and very pleased I did.
Its so simple to use, you hardly need to read the instructions. I have since scanned over 100 slides and negatives on to the smart card and transferred that to my PC.
The pictures scanned better than expected and in relation to cost of having a developer carrying out this task, the scanner has already paid for itself.
So if you have untold negatives and slides to copy, it would certainly be worth both the purchase, time and effort to carry this out.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliantly simply, 1 Oct. 2010
G. Jolley - See all my reviews
I bought this for my parents who have a HUGE amount of negatives and would like to store them on a laptop,They had already bought 1 scanner, but it was overly complicated and totally unreliable sometimes it would scan 1 negative sometmes 10 but then you would have to shut the laptop down and restart it to get the scanner to work again

They were both really disappointed to say the least,I saw this on Amazon, saw that most of the reviews were good (all but 1) so I decided to risk it,I'm so glad I did this little gadget is brilliant it reproduces the images very quickly and they are very clear,using the scanner is really simple and we had it working within 5 minutes of taking it out of the box.

It works without having to connect it to a PC/Laptop altough this is an option if you want to,it stores all the images onto a memory card (supplied) and alllows you to review and delete the images before removing the card and doing whatever you wish with them

For anyone who has any negatives that they want to convert themselves I wouldn't buy anything else after trying ths scanner.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 4 Jan. 2011
This Veho scanner is absolutely brilliant. I transferred about 1000 35mm slides onto memory card and into my pc. No problem at all. I can now dispose of all the slides and keep old memories on pc and on disc to look at when I want. The quality of pictures that were transferred were of good quality and clear. Once again, brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use scanner, good results possible after some tweaking, 11 Jan. 2011
This scanner had a good proportion of positive reviews, so for only £63 it seemed worth the risk.

The kit comes well-packaged in a smart, trendy-looking cylindrical container, and I was pleasantly surprised by its excellent build quality (despite the fact it's made in China).

It's very easy to use, and before long you'll be having fun scanning in all those old negatives. The little preview screen comes in very handy, meaning that you can do all the scans away from a PC (it has its own battery and SD card slot - 2GB card supplied).

So what's the quality like? Well, you'll probably find that most of the scans will come out with a bluish colour cast initially and perhaps somewhat dark. But this can be readily corrected in your imaging software (I use Picasa which is excellent for this purpose) and after some tweaking of colour, contrast, highlights/shadows etc, you should be able to achieve an image that resembles your original print.

The size of the scans is only about 800KB, which means the 5MP images have been highly compressed. Scans are quick (about 5 seconds each), but it would have been good if it had a setting to output scans with a finer image quality. So the results are only good enough for viewing on say, a 19" screen - don't go zooming into pixel level and still expect to see a lot of detail. You wouldn't want to use the scans to produce prints - for this, you will need to invest in a more expensive film scanner.

Overall, I would recommend this as an easy-to-use film scanner which provides a way to view your old negatives on a PC, but be prepared to do some tweaking on each scan and don't expect to get results that match the quality from a decent digital camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant, 6 Nov. 2010
Within minutes of receiving the scanner I was away, sorting and scanning my Mum's 1700+ 35 mm slides. In about 10-12 hours they were all done and on the supplied sd card. My husband timed me and it took 35 secs to load, scan and unload 3 slides. The picture quality when on the PC is superb, assuming the slide was superb in the first place! Each digital picture is 2544 x 1696 pixels, which is much the same as my Panasonic Lumix camera on best quality mode. One caution, when scanning onto the sd card the photos are numbered from DSC00001 upwards. If you then upload onto a PC and then delete from the card the file numbering will go back to 1 again. OK if you are going to keep in separate folders but you may have to rename each image if you want to put them altogether as you could have several different images with the same number. However the sd card will hold over 2500 images so don't delete until you have to. I haven't tried the software since I use Photoshop Elements quite happily and saw no reason to change. If you are in any doubt give this a try, you will not be disappointed and at least you can look at those old, old photos and have a good laugh at the hair and fashion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - But not for colour., 18 Feb. 2011

All I can say is that the other reviewers must have received a different product to the one that I got! It is indeed simple and quick to use and very neat, tidy and well designed. Pop in a strip of Black & White negatives and they come out really well. In many cases the scan is better than the one you'll get along with your processing at a High St Chemists (Not Shoes, the other one!)
The downer comes when you try and scan colour negatives. They all come out with a light blue-ish colour cast which has proved impossible to eradicate without spending ages on each frame in editing software. It can't be corrected quickly in Picasa because there is no "Neutral" colour to select as a guide. The resulting scans are sharp and tidy. Just blue!

I investigated, and in my opinion the problem is caused by insufficient illumination from the built-in "white" LED light table. Whether my example was a dodgy one or not I don't know, but Veho just refunded me without troubling themselves to suggest an alternative course of action.

So, in short: If I were scanning only black and white negs then I'd heartily recommend this little unit. Trouble is, most people are going to be scanning C41 processed 35mm colour print negatives, and if all the example machines are like this one then you'd really do better to save your money.

Disappointing.

UPDATE: December 2011:
The answer is the Epson V330. Not much more costly than this, but works unbelieveably well! Check it out and see what you think. I LOVE my one!

Epson Perfection V330 LED Photo Scanner (4800dpi)

5.0 out of 5 stars smartfix scan / smart piece of kit, 27 Jan. 2011
Mr. D. J. Smith "DJS" (UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this Veho VFS-008 a month ago. I already had this capability on my epson all in one but the results where moderate. This scanner is so much better. I cannot fault it, colours and clarity are superb. One tip - clean your transparancies and brush them with a lens cleaner before scanning. This will take away most of the swarf that has to be removed by lengthy process on photoshop elements or other similsr software.The Veho VFS-008 Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the job, 15 Nov. 2010
First the pros. Very easy to set up and use. Out of the box and scanning in a few minutes.
Now onto the cons.
Since I bought my first digital camera in 2002 I have stored my images on the computer with DVD backup. I wanted to work backwards from 2002 and digitise my holiday and family photos from 35mm negatives. This is why I bought the Veho VFS-008. I was immediately dissappointed with the results - nearly all colour was missing from the scans, the images were overwhelmingly blue. I was unsure whether this was due to the negatives deteriorating so I took them to Boots and had a couple of prints made. These prints were exactly the same as the original prints made over 10 years ago. I e-mailed Veho copies of the scanned negative and the print. They replyed that the unit must be faulty. Amazon replaced the unit, but the results were exactly the same. So regretably had to send the scanner back for a refund. It is just not upto the job.
I also scanned some 50 year old family B&W negatives of various odd sizes (you don't need to use the holder just feed them into the film holder slot)- interesting blasts from the past.
Also had loads of 110 negatives. These scanned an almost exclusively brown colour or a blue colour similar to the 35mm scans.I also found the unit overexposed some negatives. You could actually see the scan pass the optimum exposure before storing an overexposed image.
Finally I tried scanning some slides. Here the results were much better. With strongly coloured slides the scans were were almost acceptable, but with more subtle tones the colour reproduction was poor.
If Veho introduced a scanner with better colour reproduction and perhaps the option of manual exposure I would willing pay twice the price of the Veho VSF-008.

4.0 out of 5 stars slide scanner, 9 Nov. 2010
I was looking for an easy slide scanner and have read most reviews. Received this and it does what it says. It is very easy to use and I have now converted all my slides and negatives some going back to the 50s. Now to do my wife's!!

The only point I would make is to make sure that you only save about 40-50 before then saving them to your PC as I found that if you do too many it deletes them. This takes a little longer but it is not really a problem as it is easy to use.