4.0 out of 5 stars Good Idea.
Published on 7 Jan 2011 by Mr. D. G. Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Bakerdave
I have ordered this yeast a number of times and it has been fine until this last shipment. I think it was too long in transit as the bread didn't rise as it normally does. I will continue to buy this product as this is a very convenient way to buy fresh yeast and it normally works very well and it is beautifully packaged.
Published on 3 July 2012 by Mac Dave

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Idea., 7 Jan 2011
Mr. D. G. Jones (Gwent U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fresh Yeast (8 x mini blocks) (Kitchen & Home)
These small blocks, individually wrapped, are ideal for 2lbs of flour (which I make), this saves having to cut and weigh the yeast. I know from past experience they will freeze well, almost indefinately, so you can drop a block straight from the freezer into the warm water without it going runny. Given the cost of postage I would prefer to buy a larger quantity say 16 blocks instead of 8 which is why I give 4 stars instead of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Service!!, 17 April 2010
Neil Owens (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fresh Yeast (8 x mini blocks) (Kitchen & Home)
The yeast arrived this morning. Very speedy delivery and excellently packed. Came in a well padded jiffy bag and plastic box, wrapped in a cold pack. The package was still cold even though the postman had left it in my porch all day. Put it straight in the freezer and going to use it today. Smells very fresh. Great service, really recommended. Thank you!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product at a good price, 19 April 2012
This review is from: Fresh Yeast (8 x mini blocks) (Kitchen & Home)
Great French yeast that gives a good rise every time, and the flavour it adds to your home made bread is delicious. You can produce completely authentic french tasting baguettes - a million miles away from the awful supermarket version of the french classic.
You can freeze the yeast, but its consistency changes from a block to a paste. It's still perfectly ok, just a little bit difficult to handle!
It comes expertly packed.

5.0 out of 5 stars This yeast raises the game!!, 30 Mar 2012
This review is from: Fresh Yeast (8 x mini blocks) (Kitchen & Home)
There's fresh yeast and there's L'hirondelle fresh yeast supplied by Bertinet Bakers!

The package arrived well packed, with insulation to keep it cool while in transit. Well written instructions on how to store it are included.

I have made several different breads using the yeast (and with advice and instruction from the fantastic Bertinet 'Dough' book) and they have all been consistent, and far superior to my bread made in the past with either dried yeast or yeast from the baking counter at the supermarket (which, I have found, is of variable quality and questionable freshness).

I am really glad to have found a reliable source of good quality fresh yeast - thanks, Bertinet Bakers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and Long lasting, 1 Oct 2011
Mr. D. Beasley (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fresh Yeast (8 x mini blocks) (Kitchen & Home)
First time I'd ever used real yeast, let alone ordered it online. Wow, what an immediate difference it's made to my bread quality; I'm only ever going to use this yeast now, esp when I make pizza dough. Bread is 100% improved, I would highly recommend this item and seller

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes great bread for over a year, 5 Jun 2012
Bluebell (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fresh Yeast (8 x mini blocks) (Kitchen & Home)
Up until now I've bought 500g blocks of this yeast and divided it into 20g mini packs wrapped in cling-film that I then froze. I've just made a batch of bread with the last 20g that I put in the freezer in January 2011. The yeast was fully viable after 17 months of freezing (at minus 22 degrees C) . So that tells you that you can buy in bulk and use with confidence over a long period of time. It seems that I can no longer get the large blocks but these mini blocks, though slightly more expensive per gram, nevertheless are good value as I shall be able to make at least 50 loaves with this batch.

If I may give some advice as a long-time bread-maker. Use less yeast than stipulated in most recipes (I routinely use 10 to 12g fresh yeast for 850g of flour even with lots of seeds or dried fruit are to be added). If doubling a recipe don't double the amount of yeast, only increase by about 20%). The larger the quantity of dough the better the final flavour and, very importantly, slow, multiple risings lead to superior flavour and texture. My system is to give my dough three risings: one in a cool room taking around 2 to 3 hours; knocking back the dough and putting it in the fridge overnight to rise very slowly and then a final rising in the bread tins or shaped loaves in warmer conditions. If you have a Neff oven (or similar) with a bread-proving option under damp conditions this seems to produce an excellent well-risen loaf with a good open texture.

Other things I've found with much experimenting is that you can get good results with a powerful mixer doing some of the work rather than labouring entirely by hand. I mix on medium speed for 7 minutes then hand-knead for a few minutes until the dough feels smooth and elastic. I also find that blending different flours makes a better loaf; and a little fat as oil or butter improves texture as does milk substituting for some of the water. Stone ground flour is worth the extra expense. In my experience the most difficult loaf to get absolutely right is a plain white loaf.

Happy baking!

Update January 2014: I've just made two loaves with yeast I've had frozen since June 2012. As usual I used less fresh yeast than the recipe listed (12g of yeast raised 850g flour, 3 eggs, 100g butter, 425g whole milk, 70g sugar plus 6g salt) and it worked perfectly for my usual three slow risings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Buy for Bread, 7 Dec 2010
This review is from: Fresh Yeast (8 x mini blocks) (Kitchen & Home)
This is not the first time I buy yeast from this company and as usual it is very good and a pleasure to use. I used to say that it was a shame that they didnt come in smaller packages but now that I was sent some really useful information on storing yeast for the future I am not that worried and will come back to buy more in the future...

5.0 out of 5 stars yeast, 18 Sep 2012
E. Matsouka (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fresh Yeast (8 x mini blocks) (Kitchen & Home)
Really good product! Keep it in the freezer until such time you need to use it. It can be used straight from the freezer by dropping it in a bowl of warm (not hot)water. Makes great bread, great cakes. I would suggest before freezing it cut each piece in smaller pieces unless when you baking you need to use all 43gr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and perfectly formed, 12 Jun 2011
This review is from: Fresh Yeast (8 x mini blocks) (Kitchen & Home)
Fantastic service and very well packaged. So easy to use in wrapped blocks that are just the right size. The yeast made perfect bread every time (or would do if I could follow recipes properly.) will certainly reorder.

5.0 out of 5 stars great yeast, 27 April 2011
Jane Harbord (Shropshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fresh Yeast (8 x mini blocks) (Kitchen & Home)
arrived in great condition and last well, in fact stilll have 2 cubes in the fridge which were best before the 4th April and still seem fine. have put a couple of blocks in the freezer too.
Great to be able to get this product online

Fresh Yeast (8 x mini blocks)
4.95