5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Package
Published on 29 Aug 2010 by R E Blofeld

2.0 out of 5 stars I've seen worse, but not worth the money
I've just returned my camera because it takes far too long to take a photo after you press the button. Consequently it is nearly impossible to get a decent photo of anything that isn't completely stationary.
Published on 30 Nov 2010 by S. Ellis

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Package, 29 Aug 2010
I bought this ultra compact for casual photos and video when waving around an SLR and camcorder is too cumbersome. The photos are up to the standard of anything I've seen for this sort of product. The step up to 5X optical zoom is invaluable while the 14Meg pixel count is useful with the digital zoom or extracting a small fraction from the shot subsequently with out sacrificing too much quality. The auto white balance is very good compared with previous cameras of my experience - adjusting subsequently is never very satisfactory without RAW. Another neat feature new to me is that you can specify a 16:9 format which is good for viewing on modern TVs and computer monitors.

The video is a revelation! The HD shots are very good indeed and not far off from an HD camcorder I have from two years back which was considered top of its class then (and 4.5 x price!). Again the available 16:9 format is essential.

However, BEWARE and make sure you get the correct memory cards - MicroSDHC - and NOT the SD cards suggested on this product page (and a number of other sites).

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little camera, 17 Dec 2010
D. Bower "dannybgoode" (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
My wife had been wanting a digital camera for ages so I decided to get her one for her birthday.

She has no interest in advanced photography, she just needed a really simple 'point and shoot' job. Having said that, I do like my cameras and on the basis I only have a Canon 50D DSLR I was mindful that I might just end up taking hers with me on nights out so picture quality and some control over settings was important to me.

Much research later I stumbled upon this Samsung ST70 and having read some promising reviews of it decided to buy it 'blind'. I wouldn't usually do this but I am not disappointed with my choice.

The camera is very small and slim, very pocketable (or baggable if, like my wife you stick everything in your handbag), extremely well built (nice metal body) and, in full auto mode, very easy to use. It has plenty of features to make life easier - face recognition, smile recognition (spooky how well this works), both digital and optical image stablisation and a handy zoom range. The large LCD screen is very good as well; clear and bright, you can easily see if a photo is a 'keeper'.

There are also a good number of options to set the camera up to your liking - full control over white balance, ISO etc and to cap it off a single button to swap between full auto and the more manual settings. Means I can have a fiddle and set the camera up for specific situations and my wife can just press the button to get it back into full auto mode.

Coupled to this is really excellent picture quality. The level of detail is superb - nice and sharp, lovely colour balance and photos have good depth to them. Low light / high ISO photo's do of course exhibit some noise but certainly on a par or better than with many other compact digitals I've used. I've uploaded a couple of images under the samples image bit on the main product description.

There are a couple of negatives though. The menu system is a bit 'clunky', I've used the camera for 6 months now and I still sometimes struggle to find the setting I want but bearing in mind most people will just leave the camera in full auto this probably isn't too much of an issue. Also, the camera can be a little slow in a second shot when the flash is being used. It'll take the first photo straight away but then the camera freezes until the flash has recharged, you can't even try to get focus lock ready for a second photo.

Don't let either of these points put you off though. I've given it 4 stars as someone who is really fussy about their cameras but if you want a simple point and shoot that gives best in class end results then you will not be disappointed with this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value for a quality product, 2 Dec 2010
A Common Reader "Committed to reading" (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I have far more expensive cameras than this but wanted something small and compact to put in my pocket. Its a couple of years since I last bought a digital camera and I didn't know how far they'd moved on and find myself mildly astonished at what you get for your money with this little Samsung.

The LCD screen is large and extremely clear and enables you to frame the photograph perfectly while also providing you with a camera you can carry around with you to disply your photos and videos to friends and relatives in high quality.

The range of shooting options is vast and all the usual preset options are included - I particularly liked the one which selects the best options for taking photographs of moving pets and children - very useful for family parties.

The camera is very easy to use. The flash takes a few seconds to fire up the first time (but all digital cameras suffer from this) but after the first shot, shooting seems fast enough to me. I have found that with some little cameras I get camera shake but with this one, the image stabilisation system seems to prevent this.

The buttons are tiny but anyone who can use a mobile phone should have no problem with them. I like the "smart button" on the top of the camera which automatically finds the best settings for the photograph you're about to take. Just leave it pressed down all the time unless you want to be more selective.

The video is excellent and can be configured in a variety of sizes including one to fit most flat screen televisions perfectly.

I bought and 8gb Samsung 8GB Micro SDHC PLUS High Speed memory card Class 6 with this - fantastic value - and was delighted to find that it holds nearly 2000 photographs at the camera's factory default settings.

I like the dual use cable which can be used for downloading photos to the PC and also for charging (you just plug the USB plug into the provided three pin plug).

The full manual is on CD but the printed quick start guide is good enough to get you up and running and for many people will be all you need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 9 Nov 2010
Easy to use and great picture quality. Good battery life, easy computer connection and good screen. Still miss a viewfinder, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung ST70 Digital Camera - Black (14.2MP, 5x Lens) 2.7 inch TFT Screen, 16 Jun 2011
luke997 - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Very happy with this camera.

We use it as a pocket cam which wife always keeps in her bag when we don't have DSLR with us.

Auto pictures are way oversaturated but you have plenty of programs and manual modes to use so it's not big issues.

Quite good post effects and the video quality is not too bad.

Overall not bad for a cam this size and price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 19 Feb 2011
Cheryl Edwards (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung ST70 Digital Camera - Silver (14.2MP, 5x Lens) 2.7 inch TFT Screen (Electronics)
I wanted a camera with a decent size screen, which would be easy to use and give good results. I have not been disappointed. Though small, the camera is quite easy to handle and the smart button is good enough for my needs. I have been ill for almost 4 yrs and my ability to concentrate and follow instructions or learn how to operate the more technical functions is far from good. Zoom function is great. My 5 & 3 yr old grandchildren can take reasonable photos with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars I've seen worse, but not worth the money, 30 Nov 2010
S. Ellis (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE- SD or MICRO SD Memory Card??!!, 20 Sep 2010
E. R. M. Huffman "ermh" (Hants, England) - See all my reviews
Just bought this Samsung SD70 from Amazon having gone to the Samsung website to find exact specs and what memory card to order with it. The general Samsung website spec says it takes standard SD memory cards- which I ordered then found that my version takes Micro SD! Either the Samsung website is wrong or is for a previous revision of this camera.

(if you download the camera manual from samsung website that says Micro SD)

I suggest you wait unti the camera arrives to find out what kind of memory you need.

Haven't had time to test the camera in any way but it look great and will return to update this review if I can.

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung ST70, 30 April 2012
Bought this for 7 year old neice, the picture quality are fantastic compared to my 5MP camera with a great level of fine detail even when using the digitial zoom.
Plenty of preset features to vary your shots whilst the LCD screen as clear and bright, slight gripe with the menu system as it's not the easiest to pick up and shoot with & I would of appreciated a memory card to come with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars What I expected., 6 Nov 2011
It does what I wanted. It is a bit suggish sometimes. I was surprised that it is a rechargeable battery but charge lasts quite a while. Good vaue for money and it goes in my jacket pocket?