VINE VOICEon 27 July 2013
I have taken portraits and done some studio work with this tripod and it's been fine. It's not too heavy, but still holds the camera in place. It's easy to adjust and to get the camera pointing how you want it.
on 11 June 2012
This tripod is absolutely unreal.

The value for money alone is a reason to buy one. It's build quality and features left me wondering why there is actually any alternatives at this price as you'd have to be mad to not go for this.
It's very lightweight too, I hang it off of my bag and walk around with it and it doesn't feel at all any different. It's just a fantastic tripod. You will not be dissapointed with it at all.
on 28 November 2012
This is a really nice tripod. Light enough to carry without a problem, easy to use and rock steady. My only issue is that I find it hard to use the bubble to ensure it is level. So I just eyeball it and it allseems fine. Excellent product and highyl recommended.
on 24 October 2014
Great little tripod, reasonably stable with DSLR attached. It is small enough that it lives in the back of my car and light enough that I don't have problems carrying it when going on walks.

The only thing that lets this product down is the strap on the bag which is a bit short, meaning it is a bit tight when put over shoulder whilst walking. Had this strap been longer this would have been a 5 star review as the tripod is excellent for the price paid.
on 27 May 2013
Tripods are more of a functional aid than a product that excites me and this product does exactly what I hoped for and more. The construction is excellent, very good quality. It is easy to use and has the benefit of a quick release ball head. The first tripod I have owned with this feature and I don't think I would buy one without it again.
Worth every penny.
on 30 December 2013
This tripod is ok for the average hobby photographer like myself, the only downside to it I found was as the head is on a ball and socket fitting and perhaps it would have been best to fit the spirit level to the head rather than the stand, any lateral adjustments made means potentially losing your horizontal alignment, whereas horizontal adjustments are easily made without touching the lateral, small niggle in an otherwise good product.
It's nice and light weight, compact and easy to use
on 2 May 2011
Let me begin by saying I've never owned a top of the range tripod which costs over £100 so can't directly compare this tripod with those sort of tripods. If I made a living out of photography or was going to be using a tripod day in, day out in rough terrain then I'd probably invest in one of those high-end models.

For me, this tripod has proved to be good value for money. It's a definite step up from the cheap "budget" tripods that are out there. It's well constructed and feels very sturdy. It's quick to set up and the fluid-damped pan head allows for very smooth panning shots. It's taken the weight of my Nikon D90 & flash gun without any problems. I'd say once it's fully extended, the viewfinder on my camera and camcorder is at an approximate height of 6ft. I'm 5ft 9 so it's more than enough for me. It's mainly all constructed from aluminium but the locking clips on the tripod legs are plastic. However unlike some other reviewers, I don't see this as a problem. They're well made, not flimsy and unless you're the sort of person who applies brute force to the simple action of unlocking/locking the clips, I can't see why they should fall apart. It also comes with it's own carrying case, which has an adjustable shoulder strap. The only minor criticism I have of it, is that it seems to have picked up scuff marks mainly on the tripod legs but these are only noticeable if you look at it close up.

I class myself as an amateur who dabbles in photography. So far I've used this tripod for portraits and once for landscapes. I can see mine lasting for years to come, which isn't bad considering the price. I would say it's heavier than the expensive carbon fibre tripods, so it may not be the right one for you if you're going to be carrying it about over extended periods of time.

For anyone else, who's looking for a quality tripod on a budget, which is only going to be used occasionally, I don't think you'll go wrong with this one.
on 7 July 2013
I have tried many tripods before I purchase this one and it is a brilliant piece of kit. It does everything I need it to do and the ability to hag the camera upside down is superb. Can't praise it highly enough.
on 16 December 2013
My main tripod is an aluminium Manfrotto 190XPROB - Tripod - with Manfrotto 496RC2 Compact Ball Head, which weighs in at around 2 and a bit kilos, and isn't that compact when folded up. I needed a compact tripod that weighed less, for a trip to the Caribbean.

A quick visit to my local camera shop and I decided upon the Hahnel Triad C4. It weighs half as much as my Manfrotto, feels "secure enough" when fully extended, and had some nice features that add to its versatility. Below is a breakdown of the features, how good they are, and the downsides to the tripod, which sadly there are. It is true that you get what you pay for, with this tripod not being "cheap" but certainly not being as solidly built as more expensive 'pods.

WEIGHT
======
Weighing at just over a kilo, it's noticeably lighter than my slightly more expensive Manfrotto. I'd seriously consider taking this over the Manfrotto on longer walking trips. There are lighter tripods out there, but they compromise either in size and/or stability (Or cost significantly more!).

SIZE
======
One very neat feature of the tripod is that when closed up, you can invert the legs around the central column, making the tripod very compact in size. In comparison to the Manfotto, it is half as long when closed. When fully extended however, it is only a little shorter in height.

The legs are extended by twisting the rubber parts on each section. It doesn't take much of a twist to loosen or tighten the legs.

LEGS
======
The legs each have a clip at the top that is meant to allow you to adjust the angle of each leg independently. In reality there are only a few positions to choose, and I have found that the more "shallow" angles don't really work...as the clips pop out of the lock position, causing the camera to slowly sink to the ground. They're also a little fiddly as they aren't spring loaded, so you have to pull each clip out, adjust the leg, and then push the clips back in to place.

STABILITY
=========
I found the tripod to be slightly less stable that the Manfrotto. However for all but very heavy lenses, and extreme conditions, I think it's fine. If you have heavy and expensive equipment, you might have the budget for a most expensive but robust tripod.

QUICK RELEASE BALL HEAD
========================
I found this part of the tripod the least impressive. Sure it features a quick release plate, but I found the method of attaching the plate (slide into the head and then twist a rubber knob to secure) a lot more fiddly than the plates used by Manfrotto. The ball head offers good movement, but I had some issue with the friction knob, in that the rubber grip on it moved as I was trying to tighten it. Probably solvable with some glue, but something to be aware of.

OTHER POINTS
============
The main let-down on the tripod are the "rubber" parts. They don't seem to have been attached to the metal very well. Examples would be the rubber feet popping off of the end of the tripod when trying to extend a leg, and the twist-knob rubber sliding around the knobs when attempting to tighten them. One other bad point about the legs is that if you're a little overzealous when extending them, it's quite easy to pull the leg sections right out of the tube. It's easy to fix in the field, but not great!

Fixes
~~~~~
It's worth noting I think these points can be permanently fixed. A decent epoxy glue or putty could be used to bond the rubber feet and knob pieces. The leg sections are held into the tube sections by small pieces of plastic that slot into a small hole in the end of each section, when you pull a tube too far, this plastic hits the inside of the screw thread and prevents it being pulled out. Sometimes this plastic becomes dislodged, and you can pull the tube all the way out. Again, some epoxy could be used to easily secure the plastic in place, making the leg sections much more difficult to pull completely out.

CONCLUSION
============
Despite some weak points (rubber parts being a bit loose, ability to pull the legs completely off(all fixable with glue etc)), I do actually quite like this tripod. It's very compact and light, and offers a good amount of stability. Price wise I've not come across much that is cheaper that offers the features that this tripod does, without being much poorer quality. I'd honestly expect to pay maybe 50-75% extra to get a tripod that offers the same features but without the (fixable) issues.

Also note that the tripod comes with a nice small canvas carry bag, which helps for transporting it around.
on 13 September 2012
I needed a lightweight, cheap and solid tripod with a smooth quick release ball head for taking on holiday and for carrying on medium to long walks. I researched for ages looking for the right tripod for my needs and the Hahnel Triad 30 Lite just about came out on top. It's well made, has the bonus of a nifty lttle hook for adding more weight in windy conditions and has an ultra smooth quick release 360 ball head. The hook can be easily removed to allow an alternative position for the camera, under the tripod, and the sturdy legs can be set into three positions which vary the overall spread of the tripod.
I've read some stuff about the QR plate being 'loose' but mine is rock solid and is, in any case, adjustable. The QR plate is a strange hexagonal shape and may have been made a little smaller but I leave it on my Lumix G3 camera all the time and it has not been a problem. Rapid deployment of the tripod, ease of transportation, lightweight and a rock steady resting place for your camera which will not blow over are the main points of this tripod. The blue plastic clips which secure the legs in place have been mentioned in other reviews but, even though they could be a little smoother, do the job admirably and lock the legs solidly. The case is well made too but the ball head has to be positioned in the portrait position to get the fully closed tripod in. All in all a great, well made, tripod for very little money. Probably the best one in this price bracket at the moment.