4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine let down by poor finishing
Published on 14 Mar. 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick Release - Problem fixed
Hi,
I purchased this tripod and the first couple of times I used it I noticed that the Quick Release was loose as noted in some other reviews. It did however cause problems last week after I carried it for 3 hours on a photo walk and then it was not secure enough to allow me to use it for long exposure twilight photos.
I then scanned the reviews here and could...
Published on 15 April 2013 by alan anderson

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine let down by poor finishing, 14 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Hahnel Triad 30 Lite Professional Aluminium Alloy 4-Section Tripod with 360º Quick Release Ball Head and Free Carrying Case (Accessory)
Bought this to replace a Manfrotto MKC3-P01 Compact Photo Kit - Black which, while works ok, is a little too loose and bendy for me. Looking at the good review for this Hahnel Triad 30 Lite Professional Aluminium Alloy 4-Section Tripod with 360º Quick Release Ball Head and Free Carrying Case, I decided to give it a try because the price is actually lower than the Manfrotto.

Overall, this tripod is stiffer and therefore more stable than the Manfrotto. However it is also 200gm heavier. I suppose it should work fine as a photo tripod. I do like the quick release plate as it is slightly smaller than the Manfrotto one. The head locks "bite" strongly and holds my Pentax K-x + Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 + Samsung SEF-36PZF in place without shifting. Some said the plate is loose here but mine is super tight. It clicks to hold the camera in position when placed into the head, and the lever needs to be pushed in to be locked. Once locked, it is so tight that I had to use a lot of force to remove it.

It comes with a leveling bubble. I feel that it is in the wrong position at the top of the 3 legs instead of at the top at the mounting plate. How do I know if the camera is level? In any case, the head do not seem to be perfectly level throughout its 360 degree spin. Speaking of spinning, it is also very tight when trying to spin it, it may loosen after some use, I will wait and see.

The biggest disappointment is its finishing. The plastic, while seemingly strong, is very poorly finished. It has all the molding lines and sharp injection "nips" all over. The worse is at the height control knob for the centre post, sharp nips at both ends of the knobs. After using the Manfrotto with its smooth finish, this seem like a Made in China tripod from 20 years ago. (The Manfrotto IS made in China!)

The legs are fine sliding in and out but for the centre post is a different story. It does not feels smooth and time will tell if it will free up slightly or not. Speaking of the centre post, there is no anti-shock collor like the Manfrotto, so if you forgot to lock it, the head will come crashing down onto the collar with your camera on it! Do be careful!

Overall, this tripod is priced for people who take photos as their hobby more than for professional (even though it has "Professional" in its name. It just need to be a little smoother around the edges. I am off to attack mine with a file to remove the annoying sharp points and edges!

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick Release - Problem fixed, 15 April 2013
Hi,
I then scanned the reviews here and could not understand how so many users were happy with this quick release although there are a small number of reviewers with similar concerns to me.
BUT I have a solution. In my case, there is a cross-head screw at the pivot point of the lever that locks the quick release mechanism. I have tightened this screw and there is now no movement when it is locked in place.
I am now happy with the tripod, it now does what I need at a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal, awesome quality, 25 Jan. 2011
This is one of the best buys I've ever made. I couldn't imagine I was buying a tripod with such a awesome quality considering the price. I already had a cheap tripod and I can say that was metal garbish.

I received the tripod well packaged, in a black box just like the pictures, it has a nice transport bag, but nothing fancy and an allen key.

I'm really impressed with the steadiness even with the legs and central column fully extended. The ball head is very precise, it locks with just a quarter of a turn. The panoramic rotation is very precise to, you can rotate the camera very smooth, ideal for panoramic pictures but is also fine for videos. You can also turn the camera 90 degrees for portraits.
The leg locks are the only thing in plastic, but they have a good strength feel, I assume they will last for years. Everything else is magnesium alloy.

This is an ideal tripod for a small DSLR, I use it with my Fuji S1500 and a Canon EOS 300 (18-55mm).
I recommend it to everyone looking for a first good light tripod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value for the price!, 8 Feb. 2011
I ordered this 29th of January 2011. It arrived today, and it was everything I expected; nothing too shabby and the built is quite good. I only have minor experiences over tripods, but already so much that I can tell what I think of this one.

Pros:
+ the legs are sturdy, which means that they are not going to flip easily. I had to use minor force to set them up correctly. Which is great because you need to have a stable tripod for great shots.
+ the quick release lock is quite good. I attached the quicklock onto my 550D (EOS Rebel T2i), so I can swiftly attach the DSLR on top of the tripod if there will be a need to do that.
+ ball joint feels well built enough for the time being, it is precise and locks easily.
+ size and weight, only 1200 grams
+ adjustability
+ value for the money

Cons:
- legs do bend a little. I didn't try to bend them too much as I fear I would use too much force so it really would snap.
- the stableness isn't the best when the tripod is set up as high as possible (quite obvious thing), so you need either stable hands or have to use a remote controller / selftimer to get a really steady shots
- the leg clips aren't as good as I imagined. They are not as sturdy as one might want, but they lock up easily and tight.

I didn't have the time to really use the tripod in many situations YET. I will inform you guys after a months use or so, and update this review. For the time being, I couldn't be happier for my purchase. It is small in size, low in weight, cheap for what you get and great looking. I would definitely recommend this product for someone who's thinking of buying a good, cheap and light tripod. It's not the best you can get, but great value and might be the best tripod for new photographer.

New addition to review:

After 5 days of use I've made up my mind. This is the best tripod for that sum of money. I tested 6 different cheap tripods between the days, and every single one of those other tripods were flimsy, bendy, not anywhere near to be called sturdy or stable, and just plain weak. This tripod has great structure, it's legs are stable, it does not fall if some you're outside and the wind blows a bit harder (those other tripods I tested would...). The tripods I tested were cheapos, and some of them cost even more than this one (on a Finnish photographing store)! So this is definitely one of the best buys you can get. Full five stars.

Update (12th Feb 2014): 3 years has passed, and I'm thinking about reducing one star. One of the tilt mechanism switches (which allows the legs to tilt more) came apart a few years ago. So that's one thing (Amazon offered a new one but there was confusion with delivery so I thought that I could live with the broken switch). I repaired the switch a while ago, with hot glue. The glue stuck the spring mechanism so it's a bit jammed now, but it moves and locks as the other ones do. So nothing critical there. But I have to admit that this thing wobbles a bit, and you can see it if you have longer shutter times. On "fast paced" shooting, where shutter is open less than a second, this ain't nothing bad. But when shooting with longer exposures, and especially outdoors, the tiny bit of flimsiness will invade your pictures. I've tightened the legs, nuts and bolts + locks and secured the camera more, but there will be some moving even then. So, if I would require a tripod that is absolutely non-moving, then I'd look for another tripod that is REALLY sturdy. Still, this is lightweight, OK indoors and in secure conditions (no wind for example).

5.0 out of 5 stars great tripod!!, 13 April 2011
I only began taking an interest in photography a few months ago and i finally decided to invest in a tripod. I had contemplated buying a much more expensive tripod than this thinking that I would have it for a good few years. I am delighted however that I took the advice of the other reviewers and went for the hahnel as it is as close to perfect for me that it gets . It is exceptionally light whilst still being incredibly sturdy, the legs have three seperate locking positions for those awkward situated shots, even though its quite light it stands up well to wind (not that I'v been out in any gales yet), the ball head seems quite sturdy and works very well with my d3100. The bag it comes with is quite handy and as the tripod is so compact and light you hardly notice carrying it around. This has been mentioned by other reviewers but my only slight reservation with this tripod is the plastic latches that lock the legs. I haven't had any bother at all with them and they seem well constucted out of thick plastic but in a few years who knows, of course im aware that with the use this will be getting a few years use will be fantastic. Overall the tripod is an exceptional quality for an absolute bargain and I would reccomend it to anyone interested in a quality tripod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value!, 1 Feb. 2011
When I initially received the tripod I was a bit bemused - its quite a lot smaller than I imagined. At first I was worried that the slim legs would be easily bendable and flimsy. The truth is quite the opposite - the metal (aluminium magnesium alloy) is very dense and strong, making the whole thing a good bit heavier than you'd think. This is only good though - its a compact, portable tripod, but is strong and very sturdy. The entire thing just screams quality. I've seen tripods worth twice as much that are flimsier and less sturdy than this little beauty.

The ball head action is smooth and precise and making small, minute adjustments is a breeze. The horizontal panning is also very smooth and equally as precise.

The "professional" in the title is accurate - any professional would be happy to have a compact tripod thats this quality. All in all, this tripod is amazing value for money. If Hahnel's entire product catalog is as high in quality as this, they'll be getting a lot more of my cash!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value, 8 April 2011
This is my second tripod, my first being a Hamma. I choose this product as it was a far more versatile option, I wanted un-braced legs to allow greater freedom and potential for creative work. I have to say I was influenced by the materials used in the construction. Magnesium alloy is a much better alloy than just aluminium and this is reflected in the sturdy nature of the tripod. Clips and braces are well made and very secure. At full extension the unit still proves to be sturdy, I tested it in a strong wind with no additional weighting and the unit proved it's worth. There are a few drawbacks to the unit, the centre column seems a little shaky at times but nothing major, when you mount the head beneath the unit it can add to the shake, however as with all tripods the use of a remote trigger eliminates and dis-function.
In general though this is a very capable and worthy tripod which is versatile and stable enough to deserve it's "Professional" tag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than i expected, 18 May 2012
Ian Mulhall "mulaz" (Newcastle uk) - See all my reviews
I have had a very heavy duty aluminum tripod dating from the 70's that would take a hurricane to blow it over.
also not used much because of it's weight and size.
so i was not expecting much from this lightweight tripod picked up for less than £35.
How wrong was i , this tripod is sturdy yet lightweight, what more it looks and feels quality.
Forget the bigger named brands and go for this baby.
Most people will find this is all you ever need, unless you photograph hurricanes

5.0 out of 5 stars My first real tripod, 13 Jan. 2012
W. Datoo (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I recently was in the market for a new tripod and I wanted something versatile, light and flexible for my needs. I am not a professional but have a 'knack' for taking odd photo's that require some degree of maneuverability and flexibility. The 360 degree rotating head and quick release works like a charm and the smoothness of the movement when the camera is perched on the tripod is excellent. The quick release is sturdy and is ergonomic. All in all, the tripod is good for an entry level purchase and the little spirit level is definitely a plus to ensure that you're on flat ground.

A bonus of the tripod was the little hook it has to take photos that require macro focus. I am more of a landscape photographer, but this opened up a whole new world of macro photography for me since now I had a steady hand and a great stable tripod to experiment with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Let down by a small but critically important detail!, 29 Jun. 2011
SP Owen (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I use a tripod very rarely so after reading all the glowing reviews, I bought one of these low-cost Hahnels. A quick-release ball-head was important to me so the Hahnel Triad 30 Lite looked perfect for my infrequent use.

Ok, the tripod is good enough for my needs in most repects apart from one! The hexagonal plastic QR plate fits very loosely in the head. The locking cam simply doesn't lock hard enough onto the plate to keep it firmly in place. The camera doesn't appear to be in any danger of falling out, but it does make me nervous when moving it about. Besides, a tripod that allows the camera to move inbetween shots is useless! I'm puzzled that nobody else has mentioned this.. am I the only one experiencing this problem? :-s

I've emailed Hahnel about the problem. I'll return with the result.

EDIT: I sent Hahnel some photos and a short video showing my problem. They responded very quickly and sent me out a new head and QR plate to try, which both work perfectly! This is fantastic customer service and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. As far as the tripod goes, as a low cost, easily portable ball-head tripod with QR plate, it does its job very well. Thank you Hahnel.