5.0 out of 5 stars Best he has produced
Have just returned from Ronnie Scott's where Manu Katche and his fabulous band members have been performing. He is as good live as his CDs. Unarguably, the best drummer I have seen or heard in my life. All proper musicians.

Published 18 months ago by Magpie Martyr

3.0 out of 5 stars A little low key
Published 1 month ago by Neil C

5.0 out of 5 stars Best he has produced, 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: Third Round (Audio CD)

Third Round is the best he has produced. For me, the essence of his best tracks is the presence of a tune, a melody that captures me and to which they can return during the track. He has created many tracks that do that, most of which are on this CD. These tracks raise the hairs on the back of my neck. Other pieces are invariably pyrotechnic and impressive, but lack charm and don't gain traction.

He has a choice at this point. They can drift to the less accessible areas of jazz or return to Third Round type territory. I would prefer the latter. Actually, I would like them to try re-arranging some classics, in the way that Martin Taylor did on "Kiss and Tell". Manu Katche doesn't have to create every track (even though it is good for recording rights....). Their arrangement and elaboration of great music would be exciting.

A special CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to relax to..., 21 May 2010
This review is from: Third Round (Audio CD)
Well I'd have to disagree with my fellow Lancastrian ('Honda')! I think this is a really rather good CD, it's great music to relax to and played by a talented bunch of individuals. I'd agree it is almost smooth jazz but there are times when it's good to sit back and just enjoy. As ever, the ecm production is excellent. And the song by Kami Lyle, well I think it's great (especially as a fan of Heidi Talbot). I haven't listened to Manu Katche's other cds but on the strength of this one, I certainly will.

Anyway, each to their own, if we all like the same music, life would be jolly dull!

3.0 out of 5 stars A little low key, 27 May 2014
Neil C (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Third Round (Audio CD)
Unfortunately I found this album to be less of an experience than his self-titled album and Neighbourhood, the other releases I own by this artist. There is a decidedly low key dinner jazz type vibe to this which is not conducive to active listening. The problem lies with the compositions as the cast of performers, which includes the awesome Jason Rebello, is excellent. The addition of vocals on one of the tracks does not help, but that is down more to personal preference for me as I don't care for the singer's voice. For die-hard fans only ....

5.0 out of 5 stars For a relaxing time, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Third Round (Audio CD)
I just love this album. So relaxed and so well played... I just love to get home, turn the cd on end enjoy this kind of song.
5 Stars for the cd, 5 stars for Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Many Katche Third Round, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Third Round (Audio CD)
Manu Katche has been a drummer for some great artists; he is also brilliant live with HIS band. Nice jazz tunes with delicate drums in the background

5.0 out of 5 stars Flowing and smooth, 31 Aug 2010
This review is from: Third Round (Audio CD)
This is the third of Manu Katche's solo offering and it doesn't disappoint. It builds upon his earlier work and is a delight to listen to. The addition of the guitar on this album gives it a subtly different feel to his previous work. If you you are a lover of smooth flowing, intelligent jazz this is for you

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Kaatche, 27 Dec 2010
This review is from: Third Round (Audio CD)
Manu Katche is more than a drummer and has been drawn out by the ECM label
and playing with greats like Garbarek inspires more and more from him in a band situation
Infinitely listenable Great modern jazz -get it now *****

2.0 out of 5 stars very disapointing, 2 May 2010
Mr. J. Hodgson "honda" (lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Third Round (Audio CD)
this is the 3 rd cd from manu katche i was really looking forward to it.the first cd was bril the second one not quite as good this is another step backwards.its almost getting to smooth jazz.the vocal track on the cd is i think is a once play track.i was almost at the point of buying it but a friend let me have it for a week,that made me save quite a few pennies.please bring back the wunderful marcin wasileskie.into the line up.im interested to see what other people make of this cd.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 26 May 2011
This review is from: Third Round (Audio CD)
Good musicianship, i thought this would be a killer combination, Palladino, & Katch'e, i had big expectations, but for me it didn't deliver, it could be anyone playing, a very generic sound.

Third Round
Third Round by Manu Katche (Audio CD - 2010)