TOP 100 REVIEWERon 24 July 2013
We combined this bell with the Friedland D753 8V 1A Transformer and put it up in our sitting room, where the front door is. Since then we have not missed a single delivery! In fact it can be heard throughout the whole house and even the back garden, which is a great bonus. However, I would now advise caution if you are siting it in a room where you relax, drink hot (or cold) beverages or eat. So far I have managed to scold my family jewels with boiling MacDonalds temperature coffee and have thrown a plate of spaghetti over the dog (which he enjoyed very much - typical labrador) when jumping at the very loud ring - the dog now goes nuts everytime someone pushes the button, and expects to get fed!
44 comments28 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 February 2013
The product arrived on time and looks the part; however, I was amazed on trying to make off the bell wire connections at the ridiculously tiny terminal screws provided. The size of screw heads required a No. 0 crosspoint Jewellers screwdriver and were set by the manufacturer so tightly into the plastic that one stripped the metal as if countersunk and after painstaking removal involving pliers, etc I had to saw-cut the head to enable use of an ordinary electricians screw driver. All was completely unnecessary as there is plenty of room inside the dome area for sensible terminals. Not what you would expect from a firm like Byron.
I wanted the bell for a second ringer [upstairs] off the single bell push and had purchased the specified 2 amp output transformer to ensure sufficient power; unfortunately the wiring diagram with the bell only caters for a single bell off a single bell push and I managed to wire the two bells in series rather than parallel so poor result and will have to do a rewire to cure; I just hope those pathetic screw heads hold up during further attention!
on 18 February 2014
This is a great-looking bell with a very loud ring. Still a bit hard to hear with the kettle and washing machine on, but so is everything else! May just have to get a second one to put nearer the kitchen. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend or buy again.

ps - Didn't do the installation myself, so can't speak to ease etc.
on 29 January 2014
Both being in our seventies , obviously now losing some of our hearing, we suffered embarrassing moments when visitors were forced to phone to say they were at our doorstep . Now, having replaced our ding-dong bell with this, the problem no longer exists.
on 13 September 2013
We had suffered for some time from a rather feeble chime bell. Often folk had to 'phone us to get us to answer the door!
This bell has a really strong ring tone - you can't ignore it. Delivery was very quick. I'm very satisfied with it.
on 15 August 2013
Not much not to like about this bell. As described, easy to wire and fit. Represents reasonable quality for the price. Can be heard through the house. Biffs the battery / wireless models out of sight.
on 1 June 2015
Someone wrote in an earlier review as being nothing to like about this bell, I'm afraid in my opinion he or she was absolutely right.
What a truly awful appliance, the internal terminals were very flimsy and open to distortion, there is plenty of room to mount a small terminal block and solve this. As regards the claim of around 85/90 decibels, 'RUBBISH', more often than not the unit emitted more of a buzz and no amount of rotation of the central screw fixing of the bell would extract at best a couple of weak tinny rings, if the doorbell push button was pressed and held for a few seconds the bell again resorted to a faint buzzing certainly not loud enough to be heard in and adjacent room.
All in all a very disappointing purchase and would urge further investigation into a better bell, I can only assume that the quality control at Byron is non existent as I would certainly not have let this poor example of workmanship leave its place of manufacture.
Badly conceived, poorly made and in my view not fit for purpose.
on 21 June 2015
I wish I'd read the other one-star reviews. They are absolutely correct. This whole setup, bell, transformer and bell push is utterly shoddy.

The bell itself doesn't ring properly and is sensitive to gravity. In some orientations it hasn't enough strength for the striker to hit the bell against it's own weight. The terminal screws are tiny self-tappers directly into soft plastic, requiring the utmost care to tighten and barely holding the wires.
The supplied transformer came with one terminal screw-block thread stripped (I should send it back but instead shimmed the thread with a piece of brass in my workshop). It's designed for rail mounting without any cable clamping and is quite frankly dangerous for DIY use.
The bell push is the worst part. The body protrudes out of the back so you have to drill a large recess for it in the door! A small incandescent bulb is supplied. I should estimate it's life in days, maybe a week or two.
on 28 July 2015
It doesn't matter how you do it, the sound from it is just a thud, no descent sound can be obtained from it.I put it horizontal , vertical turned the dome till I was sick. I put washer behind, in front and every imaginable way, yet all I get is a thud sound, no ding at all.
I bought and asked it to be sent to Turkey because I wanted something descent from UK, not one of those cheap Chinese wireless, useless doorbells. I wanted a classy doorbell and yet I was disappointed gravely
If I wasn't in Turkey I would have sent it back and demanded my money back.
on 14 December 2013
Great product, works well with my old transformer and was received within 3 days ordering. Will recommend to anyone wanting an old fashioned door bell.