5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded expectation
Published on 10 Feb 2011 by AJCS

1.0 out of 5 stars 3 failed drives
I purchased 3 of these drives in total. After a few months the first drive failed. It had to be returned because I was unable to format the drive. Now a couple of weeks after the first drive failure a second drive has failed too with exactly the same issue.

I wouldn't recommend these drives at all.

Update, the 3rd drive has also failed and been...
Published 3 months ago by Paul

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded expectation, 10 Feb 2011
This review is from: LaCie d2 Network 2 2TB Professional Storage Server (Personal Computers)
I recently bought the LaCie d2 Network 2 as a home backup solution to replace an aging, noisy and hard-to-use NAS. I'm really happy with it; in fact it has exceeded my expectations. I was a little put off by the one-star review, but I feel I have made the right choice (so far!). The device resides on display in my living room, so I wanted something that was both silent and stylish, which the d2 delivers on both counts. I had read elsewhere that the d2 could get pretty hot, but that has not been my experience; it's only slightly warm to the touch.

The bundled backup software, Genie Backup Pro, is easy to use while retaining more advanced features such as pre and post backup jobs and differential backup. For some reason, both basic and pro versions of the software are included, but I could see little difference in functionality between them beyond the aforementioned.

I found the d2 very straightforward to set up via a clear, simple and fast web management interface that includes some neat features such as being able to turn the device on and off at specific times and turn off the bright, but good looking, system light. These are great features for a home environment where it may not be in use all the time. I am also pleased by the backup speed compared to my old NAS. It took about 40 minutes to back up 5Gb over wireless; a huge improvement over my old disk.

The only slight criticism I have is the documentation which doesn't explain things in nearly enough detail, or in some cases, not at all, but it's a minor point. If you are computer literate (which I imagine anyone contemplating a device like this will be) you shouldn't have any trouble getting to grips with the majority of features.

1.0 out of 5 stars 3 failed drives, 25 April 2014

I wouldn't recommend these drives at all.

Update, the 3rd drive has also failed and been replaced by Lacie. That a 100% failure rate!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Mar 2013
I use it with OSX, works perfectly with time machine. Can wake the drive from my Macbook, back up wirelessly and access drive very easily.

Its not easy to set up, but then if you are looking for easy maybe don't buy a NAS drive.

I would highly recommend this drive, great value for money as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pointless as a Gbit network device, 28 Feb 2012
Simply cant imagine the point in advertising this device as having a "gbit network connection" as it is totally unused.

The actual throughput to this device from any network location Via SMB , FTP or sFTP is 7MB/sec burst rate and around 2MB/sec sustained.
the throughput when using sFTP is 500k/sec which is over 160x slower than the drive can support being plugged in over the SATA channel.
I mean, comon... i can upload to the internet faster than i can upload my files over Gbit to a device on my local network ?

Simply put :
If you are looking for a reliable backup device that does not require any kind of speed - this is for you !

However if you do any work that requires reasonable sized files ( say video or CAD work ) this is not for you.
e.g. Waiting almost 3 hours to send a single 3.7GB DVD image to your drive is simply not acceptable.

you will notice there is no claim on the actual throughput speed of the device, probably for a good reason, they wouldn't sell very many.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little NAS drive, 29 April 2013
I spent a while looking for a decent NAS drive that's suitable for home use and doesn't cost the earth. I was tempted to get Western Digital My world NAS but it had some bad reviews which put me off. Review sites seemed to give this the thumbs up.

After plugging in to my router and turning on, the drive appeared straight away in Finder on my Mac. I installed the little helper application from the CD which lets you wake up the drive remotely and lets your mac mount the shared drives automatically.

The web interface is half-decent. You can access all of the functions pretty easily, the scheduled power on/off is handy to save money and extend the life of the drive. The remote access works well too. I'm able to upload and download to my drive from work but you will need a decent broadband connection for big files, unless you're a very patient person.

Drive works flawlessly with Time Machine on my Mac, even over wireless.

People often complain about the speed of NAS drives but I find that only tends to be an issue when using it over wireless. When I first got the drive, I copied everything to it using a LAN cable in to my router rather than wirelessly. I was getting about 10-15MB/s upload to the drive using the cable. Once the initial copying and time machine backup were done, I switched back to wireless and don't have any issue with the speed.

The media server works a treat and is picked up by my smart TV and PS3. HD films stream no problem. Only gripe is that there is no way to fully access the media server settings out of the box.

The drive isn't silent and you can hear it whirring in a very quiet room. But with a TV on/chatter it's barely noticable (if at all). There is the odd "click" from the drive which I think is just the drive spinning up/down (I've used 2 of these units and both made the same noise when they had been idle for a while). The blue light is very bright but can be turned off from the web interface. I don't think NAS drives have ever been great for technophobes or people who just want plug and play. I'm an IT professional and had no bother with the drive but I can imagine those less technically inclined getting frustrated. Things like setting up shares with different permissions, users, groups, etc.

Pros:

+ Easy to set up (for a NAS drive)
+ Remote access to files and settings
+ BitTorrent downloader

Cons:

- Fiddly admin/share settings
- Drive noise may be an issue in a quiet environment

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent NAS, 7 Jun 2012
Excellent NAS. I've had it for about eight months now, and it's been working flawlessly so far. The setup was easy. I had no problems setting up backup with Time Machine. The speeds over the wireless network are good. The remote access works well too. I've grown to use this network drive more and more, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

1.0 out of 5 stars Power supply failed - on the replacement unit as well!, 29 May 2010
First LaCie d2 Network 2 2TB Professional Storage Server I ordered from Amazon failed after about a week. The power switch didn't turn the unit off. It just stayed on. And the network never saw it again after that.
Amazon sent me a replacement. The replacement failed after 2 minutes. It powered down on it's own. When I restarted it, it just shined a blue light but the drive doesnt spool up. There is no movement from the drive.
My BT broadband hub on the same power strip works fine. As does a LaCie Cinema Classic network drive I bought in March(from another retailer) and a Samsung Plasma. This is clearly a flaw in the quality of the LaCie d2 Network 2 2TB Professional Storage Server.

Two duds. There won't be a third.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this for Time Machine, 12 Mar 2012
Kitchen Maniac (Lamberhurst, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this network server specifically to use with Apple Time Machine on my small home network (Wi-FI + two Ethernet connections). The documentation said it was compatible with Time Machine, so I guessed I could just plug it in and it would work.
This was sadly optimistic.
The instructions supplied with the drive were perfunctory, but I nevertheless managed to get it to show up on my network.
However, when I tried to use it with time machine, I got an error message saying that "The network backup disc does not support the required AFP features."
Downloading and installing new firmware did not solve the problem.
I contacted La Cie tech support and they replied that...
"On occasion, a power outage or other sudden interruption of the disk can cause the hidden database file on the drive to become corrupted and unusable. When this happens, AFP stops working, while SMB and FTP continue to function as expected. The solution is to remove the corrupted database, and allow the generation of a new one. Follow the procedure below to do this."
There had been no power cuts or other interuption: I had literally just installed the drive.
The procedure for fixing this problem involved typing lines into Terminal, and assumed a great deal of knowledge that I don't have. I declined to do this, and returned the drive.
Time Machine is designed to be simple enough for even novices to use. So a drive that is promoted to be used with Time Machine should at least be reasonably simple.
I am not a novice, but I don't think I should have to use Terminal to get a brand new product working.
Unless you are very technically adept, I suggest that you don't buy this drive to use with Time Machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good network storage, 13 Nov 2012
I use this drive to store ongoing projects, and various work-related files. Since I'm often on the road, meeting with clients and doing presentations, it's very convenient to be able to access files remotely directly from the browser. The iPad app that comes with the drive is very useful as well.