4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little fun camera with delightful retro styling
Borrowing stylistic influences from the 1970s Pentax Auto 110 film camera, this little camera gives digital technology the warmth of analogue through its iconic and classy looks.

Published on 9 Oct 2010 by C. SAUL

1.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat Style and no substamce
Published on 2 Jan 2011 by christopher3860

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little fun camera with delightful retro styling, 9 Oct 2010
This review is from: Pentax Optio I-10 Digital Camera - Classic Black (12MP, Wide Angle 5x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD (Electronics)

It takes a commendable photo where there is a LOT of light (google steves digicam exchange for an unbiassed review and REAL Samples) and where the user manually sets the ISO setting to its maximum sensitivity for the available light. However, in low light the images can look average to poor frankly, although at night time the night setting can help a little. The lens produces an image a little on the soft side, although again, setting the camera to 'P' (Program mode) and becoming accustomed to it prevents the camera from automatically assuming (wrongly) that it is taking a portrait when in AUTO SCENE mode and thus softening the image to hide blemishes and provide even skin tone. The image softness has led to some undeserved bad reviews of the camera- quite evidently from the reviewer failing to understand this cameras little quirks.

A tiny and pocketable sized camera it has some pretty good specs. Here is the short list

15mm lens wide-angle effect - stitches two shots together where the camera is held in portrait mode to emulate a wide angle lens.
Panorama stitching effect - stitches three horizontal shots together to produce fun and atmospheric panoramas.
Lomo/holga effect - produces images of 'days gone by' atmosphere through mimicking vignetting of shots and deliberate bad colour processing. My FAV feature. EVEN puts a WHITE border around shots to emulate bordered film - FAB!!!!
black and white - moody and dramatic
sepia - vintage creamy coloured shots.
High Contrast - Another Lomo style effect
Softness - Romantic soft focus. Combine this with the lomo, contrast and other effects to produce perfect Lomo results!
5x optical zoom

For an image connoisseur this camera will only juts cut the mustard in the very best light conditions and through becoming accustomed to its quirks. Once again, in low light such as indoor shots the image can be a bit too grainy. However, For the average consumer who just wants to throw a camera in their bag it will be found to be useful and fun. The inclusion of all the filters allows the user to get really creative and have F.U.N without going near a computer - and isn't photography about this ultimately?

It looks astonishing and I think Pentax have created a good little camera.I hope they continue down this line, adding warmth to the image of digital photography instead of producing yet another silver plastic shell. The recent trend towards range-finder and leica-style cameras in consumer photography has no doubt spurred this design, and Pentax are to be commended on producing what is now an affordable little camera which I love to look at. I would recommend this camera to anybody, even with its little quirks, given the price. Hopefully the new "i" series (of which this is the first model) will continue to grow with similar models, hopefully of a better lens quality, but still with the gorgeous retro looks. Inspiration is half the trick with photography, and with this little camera it comes in bucket loads!

4.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is!!!, 9 Nov 2010
My wife bought me this camera for an early Xmas present and it was love at first sight.
However, my first time out with it had me wanting to throw it away. (Bon Fire Night wasn't a fair trial).
I played about with the camera a bit before popping the Instructions CD into the laptop and having a read. That's when I found out just what this camera was hiding.
I found out that the camera could be programmed to recognise my dog's face.
I found out it's got 'manual focus', 'panned focus' and two types of panorama settings.
It's got a 'burst mode' and other useful settings too.
So to conclude:
It is what it is.
It's a budget priced retro style compact camera that's easy to get on with once you get to know it.
It's a functional pocket sized camera with mechanical shake reduction technology built in.
It's a 12meg 5x zoom compact camera with face detection and HD movie mode.

It's NOT an expensive camera with full manual control and a Leica lens.

I'm glad I didn't throw it away because I think it's a cracking little camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 23 April 2011
Yes, I did buy this camera primarily for its styling, however it is a good performer in good light. In low light the pictures are a bit muddy, however if you get to know the camera and its settings then great images can follow. Video is good too. For a simple point & shoot, i'd go for a Panasonic or Canon but if you want to enjoy your photography and learn how to get the best from the camera then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this super little camera. It may take a bit more effort to get the results you are looking for but this camera is worth it. I have lots of cameras, film, compacts & DSLR but this is probably the one I enjoy using the most.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pentax Optio i10, 16 Oct 2011
Never had a Pentax digital, always been a Nikon, Panasonic Lumix, or Canon fan, got all 3 of different ages, was looking to buy another Lumix at around 250 but noticed this little Pentax, loved the look of it and the quality build which nobody else has mentioned. Bought one and am really pleased with it, photos are just as good as my top of the range Canon compact digital, if anything it has a much clearer screen and better build. Bit puzzled why some reviews say they get blurred pictures, you expect grainy results in low light, it's not a 2 grand digital SLR, if you are looking for a bargain little camera that you don't know you are carrying in your pocket on your belt or in your bag, GET ONE!

1.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat Style and no substamce, 2 Jan 2011
I was trawling through the internet looking for a pretty basic throw in your pocket digital camera. Upon finding the Pentax Optio I-10 the gadget craving person in me came out. The camera looked retro, obviously a nod to the Pentax of old and had some reasonable reviews. I was by no means expecting the sort of quality I get from my nikon dslr or to be honest anywhere near it, but sadly I was massively disappointed. Again out of the box, albeit smaller than expected, the camera looked good. Within minutes of taking photos and uploading them, the way below par images really struck me. They looked flat, subdued and just lacking in any crispness. I even compared them to my little casio exilim and that beat the Pentax in every way. Another issue I had with the Pentax was the hideous screen, it just looked cheap and grainy. The menu options are really not in keeping with the cameras more serious look, by just be really nasty and cheap, almost a little immature. I am by know means an expert on cameras, but this camera was so bad I sent it back and got a full refund. Avoid it because you ultimately will be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super little point 'n' click., 19 Oct 2011
I bought this camera as I was fed up with taking pictures using my iPhone! Very good little camera, with lots of modes and functions, including the ability to put an 'aged' or 'Sepia' filter on your pictures, and the option to stitch two pictures together to simulate a wide angle lens. This one takes a bit of practice, but it's worth it. The camera does feel a little bit more 'plasticky' than I was expecting, but I love it none the less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 6 Feb 2011
Love the look of this camera, amazing value for such a good lens.
Lovely pictures in all situations tried so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a let down, 5 Feb 2011
I was after a small compact camera I could take around with me where I wouldn't want my larger camera. After reading a few reviews that said the picture quality wasn't great but a lot of others saying it was fine I was swayed. The looks grabbed me- don't be fooled though. Even though I wasn't expecting anything special I really couldn't believe what I was seeing. Picture quality is at best passable, most of the time blurred and out of focus. Macro mode was a joke, never really got in focus. A lot of the options on the menu are pointless and juvenile, especially as it has such retro, mature looks. There is no option to shoot in black and white (which would be its only redeeming feature as then you could at least pretend you were using a crappy old camera rather than knowing they had all the latest technology at their disposal upon creating this....) I mean, the idea of me taking it out and taking pictures in a bar or other dark place is pretty much out the question, there would just be some blurred faces. For the same money you could get a much much better camera. You'll get over its looks the moment you upload a photo.

3.0 out of 5 stars If you are buying this camera for its look you won't be disappointed, 31 May 2010
Butterfly (Ilford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera because it looks good. Far cheaper that the Olympus Pen and a lot smaller, it is my throw in my bag camera and really it can't do much more than take a basic snap or 2. It is small and stylish but unfortunately it comes only with a wrist strap and not the neck strap as seen in the video.

If you are also looking for a good camera you may have to look further a field. I have only had this camera for only a few days but I am a bit of a camera collector and so with a few snaps I can tell that it doesn't have that wow factor. I haven't looked at all the features but for a quick point and snap you will need to be outside in day light for a crisp clear image, images taken inside or with a low light can be a bit hit and miss and come out quite grainy.

The GOOD
The macro feature on the camera is good and works well.
Digital Panoramic feature is good you are able to stitch 3 images together using a shadow.
And the 5 optical zoom works well

The BAD
The battery only lasted a little over one day after snapping approx 100 images
You need a steady hand and a bright light for a good shot

The WHY?
Perhaps they makers of this camera thought its target market was children as the sounds include cat and dog sounds which I found most silly and unnecessary. The camera also has a number of images frames again suitable for kids (or perhaps big kids).

To summarise a good looking camera with a good zoom for basic snapping.

5.0 out of 5 stars the ease of pentax, 20 Feb 2011
i have been considering and trying cameras now for a couple of years
and have purchased 3 from amazon.
the pentax is streets ahead of any of the others in ease of operation and quality of image, a sony is pretty good and a nikon ranks 3rd by a fairly large margin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›