4.0 out of 5 stars "Bryson does Europe" as only Bryson can..
Published on 21 April 2003 by Darren Simons

3.0 out of 5 stars Dated Maybe?
Needing to clear some space on my bookshelves I have decided to reacquaint myself with Bill Bryson's travel books before Bookcrossing them.
Published on 12 Aug 2008 by LindyLouMac

4.0 out of 5 stars "Bryson does Europe" as only Bryson can.., 21 April 2003
Darren Simons (Middlesex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'd heard all the hype about Bill Bryson being the best travel writer of the current generation so I figured I should read some of his stuff to make my own opinion. The first Bryson book I bought was this one and in all probability (at time of writing) I think it's my favourite. Bryson is an American who settled in Britain in the late 70s (and has since returned to the US).
The basic style of a Bryson book is simple - get a train to a place, wander around aimlessly, check into an average hotel, wander round a bit more, sit in a pub on your own and go to bed. And yes, many people will say that's all there is to a Bryson book. I'd have to disagree with that though - what makes this book is the humour.. a strange combination of British sarcasm and American expectation make Bryson's commentary on the places he visits and the people he sees really rather good.
In this book Bryson decides it's high time he ventured beyond Britain and visited as much of Europe as he can. To this end, he starts in Norway although he manages to visit when it's permanently dark, returns to England before venturing away on a longer trip, taking in Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Rome, Florence (probably the funniest part of the book for me), before travelling further south-east towards Sofia and Istanbul.
If you're only going to read one Bill Bryson travel book, I'd probably recommend this one. Yes, there may be better travel writers, there may be funnier writers, but in terms of humorous travel writers I think Bryson is probably the best (although Peter Moore may come close).

3.0 out of 5 stars Dated Maybe?, 12 Aug 2008
LindyLouMac (Wales and Italy) - See all my reviews
This one was written in 1990, first published in 1992 and the edition on my bookshelf in 1998. I enjoyed reading this travelogue of his tour of some of the major cities of Europe, many of those mentioned which I have visited myself during the last forty years. Of those that I have not I think that Sofia in particular may well have changed beyond recognition, Eastern Europe having undergone the most changes in the last eighteen years.
Whilst one might not always agree with Bryson's viewpoint it is none the less an amusing read, though one must also accept that in some aspects it can seem very dated.
Certainly worth reading if you are at all interested in any of the places in Europe he writes about but remember it was written nearly twenty years ago now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Often hysterically funny and quite acerbic, 14 Dec 2005
David Hinman (Portland OR) - See all my reviews
Bryson isn't your typical travel author. He makes an effort to describe the places he visits, but does so in broad strokes. It's like an impressionist painting more than any attempt at detailed realism. He spends 1/3 of his time on the history of the places he visits and it's contemporary reality, 1/3 of his time on what sees and experiences, and 1/3 of his time on how he interprets what he sees as a confused foreigner.
For example, Bryson often goes on at length about the architecture of a building he loves or hates. He'll then describe when such building was erected and how it has been treated over the years since. Then ruminate briefly on how he can't understand the host nation's predeliction for building carparks so as to most efficently despoil an area's natural beauty. He'll finish up by wondering how such perverse actions are the nature of humanity.
Bryson writes with incredible ease, an incredible self-deprecating humor, a lust for travel and new adventures, and an overall wonder of the world around him. You get the impression he's just happy to be alive and could write with joy regarding his most recent attempt to buy chewing gum.
Some people Bill Bryson obnoxious and offensive. But if you like sarcastic and droll humor you'll love Neither Here Nor There.

5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest and most entertaining book I have ever read, 19 Jan 2011
I was introduced to Bill Bryson many years ago when a friend of mine gave me this book to read. From the first page, I found myself chuckling away. It is honestly the funniest and most entertaining book I have ever read (and I read a lot).

Bill Bryson is an unconventional travel writer, who intertwines his wit and humour into all of his travel tomes.

I would recommend this book to everyone who wants a laugh. It is one of these books I re-read at least twice a year.

My only wish is that Bill Bryson would write more humourous travel books/stories - of late, his writings have become more conservative.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, 29 Nov 2008
Mr. R. Bhaskar (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
Despite having enjoyed several of Bryson's other books, I couldn't really get into this one which was about his travels in Europe, roughly following in his own footsteps from 20 years earlier. It was well-written and quite witty but it took me most of the book to realise why I didn't hugely enjoy it. I think I didn't enjoy the book because he didn't enjoy the trip. He spent a lot of time moaning and this affected the tone of the book. I just wished he'd either find something to enjoy, or just pack up and go home.

He started off well, with a good amount of detail and good cheer and described the locations and people skillfully, but as it went on, you could feel him getting listless and this came through in his writing. I'd look up some of his other work (eg Notes from a Small Island) rather than this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Europe: it's funnier than you might suppose, 3 Feb 2007
Every so often, flicking through the BBC radio stations, I've hit Kerry Shale or Bill Bryson reading from one of Bill's books. At that point I stop flicking and sit and listen. The furrow disappears from my brow and a smile appears on my face. The smile ratchets up into a grin and from time to time a laugh erupts. It happens every time Bill Bryson's thoughts and adventures come out of my radio. But I'm no longer prepared to toggle back and forth between BBC radio 4 and BBC radio 7 just hoping for a bit of Bill Bryson. I commenced a search for an audiobook and found this. Instead of the usual 10 to 20 minute snatch of radio broadcast, I've listened to a full 6 hours, on 5 discs and achieved a serene sense of having been entertained for long, blissful, uninterrupted acres of time. I've travelled from Hammerfest in Norway via France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Yugoslavia and lots of places in between, to end up in Turkey - and seen, heard, smelled and tasted the places and met the people through his descriptions. He's a terrible mickey-taker but still conveys a reasonably positive impression of most of the people he encounters. Even where the people seem a bit sullen and unhelpful there are reasons supplied (usually). For example, the folks in Yugoslavia had been struggling to make even a modest living and had little enough to smile about at the time of his visit. In any case, the main victim of his barbed humour through the whole journey is himself. He soaks up the splendour and atmosphere of the fabulous places he stays, points out their faults, extols the virtues of the peoples and enthusiastically recounts their absurdities. He was only truly scathing about the people of one country and, although I haven't travelled very much, it was one of the few countries I'd actually visited (school skiing holiday many years ago) and I found those people very nice. That just goes to show that you have to take people as you find them, enjoy this audiobook for its entertainment value and not base your beliefs about whole nations on the behaviour of a few (probably) unrepresentative individuals.

I thoroughly enjoyed this audiobook and highly recommend it. And now I'm off to choose my next Bill Bryson - The Lost Continent or Notes from a Small Island ... can't quite decide yet ...

5.0 out of 5 stars The start of a literary love affair, 23 April 2012
This is the book that got me started reading Bryson. I found it randomly on a shelf when I was living in Paris in 1993. I've bought every book that followed as they've come out. A great book and completely enjoyable. I recommend it to everyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars A rolling stone gathers no moss, 14 July 1997
By A Customer
This book was a good read. I felt as if I shared in Bryson's romp around Europe retracing his teenage interrail trip of the early 70's. I also
felt that he had many incisive comments and insights. I laughed out loud on the subway at the many scenes that were so hilariously described.
Bryson has succeeded in taking the bar-room story into book form where he is the teller. Unfortunately, the book does suffer from its on superficiality. By the turn of the last few pages, were Bryson says: "I sat trapped.. listening to my idly prattling mind and wished that I could just get up and walk out on myself"? One realizes that throughout the book, Bryson has never genuinely interacted with the people on his trip. He sees the characters he meets as pawns for his cultural comments and one-liners. He travels with the air of superiority that is a legacy of the Baedecker days where "foreigners" (i.e. the locals) are reduced to servents and characters in a play. The country and culture becomes a stage, all performed for the sojourner's benefit where the entrance fee is reserved seat on a train purchased by AmEx. I enjoyed the book, but Bryson's open embrace for this form of whirlwind-travel leaves it a bit empty in the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia trip., 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Neither Here, Nor There: Travels in Europe (Kindle Edition)
I like the writings of Bill Bryson, his style is relaxed and he can be described as a good read. However, this book really is "neither here nor there". He retraces the European journey of some thirty years ago that he made with a rather unsavoury college friend, who, from time to time, re-surfaces as he recalls past events - or more realistically non- events.
The book is written with good humour as he appears to stagger from travel hiccup to minor crisis, but in the end his role as an innocent abroad became tedious. (Perhaps he should have treated the foreign beer with a little more respect.)
I regret that I finished the book with some relief, my only thought as I put it down was: Is Bryson really such a klutz.?

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his finest piece!, 2 Sep 2013
Whilst this book strolls along, more intent on describing the author's appetite and paucity of restaurants to satisfy it, it fails to contrast Europe in the early 60s with Europe of the 90s and lacks some of the interesting rambling tangents that make the author usually very readable.

ARRAY(0xae3e2f60)