5.0 out of 5 stars Don McLean ends as he began
Published on 13 April 2010 by Robert Gregg

2.0 out of 5 stars Low expectations met
I didn't expect another Homeless Brother or even Chain Lightning here, but even so, I was disappointed. This album is no better than River of Love or Headroom.
The good news is that Don's voice still ain't bad.
Published on 24 July 2010 by Androo

5.0 out of 5 stars Don McLean ends as he began, 13 April 2010
This review is from: Addicted To Black (Audio CD)
For his entire career Don McLean has refused to allow himself to be pigeon holed - his style can vary from rock to pop to blues to folk all in the matter of a few songs on an album or concert.Don McLean has the courage of his convictions not to produce an album of predictable tunes - from the almost harsh Run Diana Run to the sweet I was very young this album offers surprise after surprise . Will it be a hit - probably not - hit records are the domain of manipulated charts and studio artists - will it sell? You bet it will and at the price it represents enormous value - if you get a chance catch Don McLean live on his current tour - before his type no longer perform live - Don McLean has a treasure chest of tunes to share with you - which gems come out will depend on how he feels the audience - this album offers more gems for the chest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Taking the rough with the smooth, 9 Mar 2011
This review is from: Addicted To Black (Audio CD)
This hugely uneven album contains some really excellent songs, and some that were best forgotten. Among the most impressive are the elegiac 'I Was Always Young' and 'The Three of Us', which belong in any collection of Don McLean's best work - though the one I really can't get out of my head is the insanely catchy setting of Shakespeare's 'Lovers Love the Spring'. There are several successful forays into different musical eras and genres: 'Promise to Remember' is a Fifties-style ballad which, as has already been observed, could have been a chart-topper for Patsy Cline; 'Beside Myself' is a rollicking tribute to Sixties pop; 'Mary Lost a Ring' is a bluegrass foot-stomper. The atmospheric 'Shadowland' and witty 'Addicted to Black' are decent songs swamped by the same overproduction that afflicts the inferior 'In a Museum' and totally misconceived 'Run, Diana Run'. 'This Is America' is equally out of place, crying out for a touch of the irony that helps to make 'American Pie' what it is. Don McLean still has the gift - what he needs is a producer who can make the most of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to Black, 10 Sep 2010
This review is from: Addicted To Black (Audio CD)
This record has been a long time coming and only thanks to Proper Records has it become available on Amazon. Don McLean shows on this CD that he can still produce quality work,worthy of his earlier days of super stardom. McLean has never sought fame, as he put it himself, he "goes where the music takes me." That is clearly reflected in this latest offering, that combines upbeat rock music with reflective soul searching.

The Title track is catchy yet provides a "tongue in cheek" commentary on why wearing black suits him. (Reminds me of an earlier offer, "I hate fashion.") The "I was Always Young" is a more pensive reflection on aging, certainly made me think of what life is about!

I also liked "This is America" but couldn't quite see the connection between the sentiments expressed and Eisenhower. As usual, McLean leaves us to make the connection ourselves, assuming he is talking about the war time general/president of USA. "Shadowland" was another tuneful offering that I enjoyed.

Conclusion:
Not the halcian days when "the poet McLean" spoke to us with words and music of the 70's and 80's but a very acceptable recording.

2.0 out of 5 stars Low expectations met, 24 July 2010
Androo (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Addicted To Black (Audio CD)
The good news is that Don's voice still ain't bad.
But that's where the good news ends I'm afraid. One of the biggest problems for me is that it all sounds so dated. It's like it's an album recorded for a middle-aged generation that doesn't exist any more - the sort that listen to Perry Como and Frank Ifield. I cringed at some of the banal rhymes and trite sentiments. And wondered if Don was fulfilling some sort of contract with this that he couldn't get out of and was deliberately sabotaging. It doesn't sound like he's taking it seriously.
Even the production is poor, with a 1960s brittle quality to the sound and an absence of bass and presence that makes nearly every track sound thin and weedy.
The acid test is which songs I'll choose from a CD to go on my iPod. But none of these even nearly make it. The best on the album? Run Diana Run by a whisker, but only because it's the only one I'm likely to remember.
The packaging of the CD is also a let-down, with a mish-mash of design styles and no lyrics or other info in the 'booklet'. It all goes to show that very little love and care went into this album.

2.0 out of 5 stars American Sigh, 11 May 2010
Angel Delta (Southsea Hants) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Addicted To Black (Audio CD)
Don McLean must have spent a large part of his career wondering what to do after "American Pie" and "Vincent". On the evidence of his latest offering one of the things he should have considered was following the lead of Johnny Cash and Neil Diamond and hiring Rick Rubin to produce it.

The production is tired, the songs are sloppy and the lyrics are naive. The title track is bad enough owing more to an amateur seventies club band but "Run Diana Run" is worse with a chorus line that reads:

"Run Diana run, I think the're getting nearer
"Run Diana run, they're in the rear view mirror".

Quite why he left it 13 years to write and record this tribute is beyond me but it wasn't worth the wait.

For the rest, "Beside Myself" sounds like a sixties B side and "Mary Lost A Ring" is a banal nursery rhyme sung by a sub standard Rick Nelson soundalike. "This Is America" is a tedious dirge and "In A Museum" sums up where this CD should be.

The saccharine "I Was Almost Young" and "Promise To Remember" are about the only songs that redeem this fuzzy, badly mixed album. I suspect for the most part it will spend more time gathering dust than being played.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicted to Don!, 18 May 2010
J. N. Raine (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Addicted To Black (Audio CD)
This is an excellent album. Haven't bought one of Don's since Homeless Brother but thought I'd give this a go. I like every single track - a nice mix of uptempo and ballads - and Don's voice sounds just fine, no sign of ageing at all. I first heard 'American Pie' when I was working as a farmhand in the Australian bush back in 1971/2. Picture this: sitting in a Ute in the middle of a field in the middle of the night, changing irrigation water from ditch to ditch, and the song comes on the car radio. Was knocked out by it, and I later saw Don playing live in Sydney. I was learning how to play the guitar at the time and was blown away by his finger-picking. I vowed to make myself a better guitarist, and did. Thank you Don for inspiring and still being great.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor selection, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Addicted To Black (Audio CD)
Having all the other DM albums I was very disapointed with this selection and the overall quality of this one. It appears to have been put together to go along with a tour
without a lot of thought fo fans.

1.0 out of 5 stars Addicted to Black, Don McLean, 13 May 2011
This review is from: Addicted To Black (Audio CD)
This is said to be Don's very last album; unfortunately, it's one too many and those buying it will be very disappointed. It's not a bit like his earlier works, where clever poetry or stories were woven into toe-tapping and memorable tunes.

This CD sounds like it was done "on the cheap" and I didn't hear a single track that made me think Hey! that's Don McLean. It's scraped the bottom of the barrel and come up with nothing, not even the dregs.

Nope, sorry,rather than binning it, it can go to the charity collection. Maybe whatever charity gets it can make a quid on it from an unsuspecting buyer.

DaveL

4.0 out of 5 stars Don McLean back in the spotlight, 2 Jun 2010
Rudi "Lion" (the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Addicted To Black (Audio CD)
A large gap between American Pie and Addicted To Black, but glad I got reacqainted. Made me decide to buy the Don McLean Live Solo cd too, it is a pleasure to hear this man sing (again).

Addicted To Black
Addicted To Black by Don McLean (Audio CD - 2010)