Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

VINE VOICEon 2 November 2003
This is certainly one of the better "best of" CD's around - and there are loads of bands putting them out.
All the big and popular hits are here: "Talk Dirty..", "...Good Time", "Every Rose...", Unskinny Bop", etc, as well as less successful but fondly remembered singles (eg. "Cry Tough"), favourite album tracks ("Look What The Cat Dragged In"), and one song off the Native Tongue album ("Stand"), the only song with Richie Kotzen on guitar, who's technically streets ahead of CC Deville but made the mistake of boffing Bret Michaels' girlfriend! Not to say that CC wasn't a very good guitarist, but he's more of a "street" player, Richie is a bit of a virtuoso (he went on to play with Mr Big, and anyone who can handle Paul Gilbert's guitar lines has to be something special).
There are also a couple of more recent unreleased tracks with Blues Saraceno on guitar (who's superb) and one of them ("Sexual Thing") is now up there with my favourites, although I wish Blues had had longer to let rip.
There are also little comments by Bret Michaels about every number which are interesting and amusing, and a reasonable photo gallery.
By the way, don't think I'm knocking CC, he's the man who refused to learn the old material for his audition and instead presented the band with their first big hit - "Talk Dirty to Me".
A good buy.
on 12 September 2003
The opening track sets the mood of this album perfectly: pure good time rock. If you like bands with attitude, musicianship and class you'll like Poison. Warning: if you are a manic depressive this is not the album for you. Every track has a 'feel good' quality to it.
For me the star of Poison has to be C.C. De Ville - surely one of the great all-time guitarists. Clearly influenced by the 'wild' style of Eddie Van Halen, C.C. is one of the few who has pulled it off. His solos 'make' Poison's songs. Two deserve a mention: Every Rose and Life Goes On. The former conveys the emotion of the song perfectly. The 40-odd second effort on Life Goes On is quite possibly the best solo I've ever heard: wild, ridiculously over-the-top and heartbreaking. Simply amazing. None of today's 'guitarists' could even think of such a masterpiece let alone play it. Saying that, no other guitarist has ever taken the amount of, ahem, 'substances' that C.C. was doing at Poison's peak. Yet that's what I think makes great rock stars: excess - they are licensed to do such things.
I'd break this album into two sub-genres: no-holds barred all out rock 'n' roll and guitar rock ballads. In Bret Michaels Poison have a singer who can switch between the two effortlessly. Even the new songs added are surprisingly excellent, which isn't usually the case with a greatest hits comp. In the sleeve Bret adds amusing commentaries on each song. My favourite concerns Talk Dirty To Me: C.C. turned up to audition for the band but instead of playing the song he was given to learn he started playing his own riff; this caused Bret to walk out. Eventually Bret 'got' the riff and it became Poison's breakthrough.
When you get the album and see the band's photo on the back you'll see a group of men who drank, took certain substances (which I don't condone but like I said rock stars have license) and engaged in 'relations' with some of the best-looking women around (Bret infamously was caught on video with Pamela Anderson)- in short what a hard rock band should be. To cap it off they were all great at their 'day job' as well. A world away from the blandness and safety of today's drivel.
on 10 March 2003
Now, I'm only fifteen, so I missed out on the real hair metal boom, and the only reason I even heard of poison is because teir lyrics were used in Bill and Ted. But as soon as i began to listen to these songs I realised what I had missed out on, so when I saw the greatest hits on here for such a low price i thought 'MUST GET THAT ALBUM'!. This album covers all of poison's greatest stuff, as well as two unreleased songs which still reach poison standard. Songs include Nothin' but a Good Time(The opening track which really sets the mood up fantastically), Talk dirty to me, Unskinny Bop, Fallen Angel (My personal favourite)and the fantastic acoustic rock ballad Every Rose Has its Thorn. If you buy any poison album, buy this one. If you already have all the other poison albums, buy this one for the two unreleased tracks anyway, they kick serious ass. Rock n Roll!
on 23 May 2004
This cd pretty much sums up a great band that had an amazing time doing what they loved. The collection contains pretty much all of Poison's best songs including 'fallen angel', 'Unskinny bop' and 'Life goes on'. C.C Deville is one of the most melodic guitarists ever imo and so this cd is a tribute especially to his enduring work.
on 8 April 2002
There are so many good Poison songs that it is almost impossible to pick out the best. This is an excellent attempt which includes nearly every song that I would have chosen, with the exception of my life loves a tragedy. One of the on-line reviews suggested that Poison was somewhere betweren Bon Jovi and Metallica, I must honestly say that I can't see either! Poison have a style all of their own which is very rock 'n roll based with some seriously catchy guitar riffs. The most impressive arrangement has to be Somethin to believe in which has excellent lyrics and great vocal harmonies. There is a hint of rockabilly in the earlier songs, a bit like the stray cats with attitude. However, the underlying sound which Poison strive to achieve is genuine 100% rock.
on 7 November 2006
Being a fan of 70s and 80s rock and having heard so little Poison, I thought I'd take a chance and check them out. I was not disappointed. This compilation is packed to the rafters with hard rocking tracks from start to finish.

This album is best listened to on your way to work, to pick yourself up and get yourself going. Most people will have heard 'Every Rose Has its Thorn' but 'I Won't Forget You' is another great power ballard. The great rock songs are 'Fallen Angel', 'Talk Dirty to Me', 'Look What the Cat Dragged In' and many others like 'Flesh and Blood, Sacrifice', and 'Tell me Why'.

If you love rock, you'll really like this, if you especially like 80s, trashy metal, then you'll REALLY like this.
on 17 May 2013
Download the album as i did not want to wait for the CD to be delivered, easy to download and a great product every song on the album is great especially the classics like unskinny bop, every rose has its thorn, talk dirty to me, nothing but a good time ect. but also found some great songs i didnt know on the album. fantastic but for anyone who loves poison or is willing to give them a listen, this is the buy for you.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 July 2013
I am normally well informed on my classic rock bands who rose to prominence in the 1980s, and have been familiar with Poison for many years, but only knew them for three songs: 'Nothin' But A Good Time' (a Classic Rock party track, and a perfect opener to the compilation), 'Talk Dirty To Me' (an anthem which I loved instantly) and 'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' (a perfect power-ballad), all of which are obviously included on 'Poison's Greatest Hits 1986-1996'.

It wasn't until I finally decided to look closer into their music and buy this 18 track compilation, consisting of all the hits, a few lesser known singles, and two previously unreleased recordings, that I realised what I have been missing out on. The whole album is excellent from start to finish, and one of the best and most entertaining compilations I have bought in a while (and I do buy a LOT). I had no idea that Poison were responsible for so many fun, catchy, hard-rocking songs. If you enjoy quality 1980s rock music - this is essential.
on 14 May 2011
All the hits are here. I'd forgotten how catchy they were until I was browsing on my phone one day and came across this. One quick listen later and it was purchased, plenty of good tunes to help me through the morning commute.
on 22 October 2000
If there was ever a Greatest Hits album worth getting then it's this one. This Poison Greatest Hits album takes you full circle. From Poison's early days with tracks like "Look What The Cat Dragged In, and "Talk Dirty To Me", then you have the track "Stand" from the Native Tongue album (the most recent album they had relesed when this CD was done). Every track on this album is excellent. The two previously unreleased tracks "Sexual Thing" and "Lay Your Body Down" (also avaliable on the album Crack A Smile) end this CD really well. If you havn't heard any Poison before then get this album before you buy all the others, and when you do get this album you more than likely what all the others in your collection as well. If you like 80's rock or just rock in general, then one listen to this album and you'll be hooked on Poison.