5.0 out of 5 stars The album of his career?
Published on 22 April 2010 by Mark Watkins

2.0 out of 5 stars Great music, terrible sound.
First, let me say that I have been a big fan of Paul Weller's since his days in The Jam. Second, I typically buy the LPs of albums I like, because they sound better than the CD or digital download equivalent. That is, of course, if the LP is sourced from the analog master tapes, or from high resolution digital (i.e., 24-bit 96kHz minimum). Unfortunately, some labels...
Published on 7 Jun 2010 by Preston

5.0 out of 5 stars The album of his career?, 22 April 2010
This is as unexpected as it is brilliant. Just pause to consider these facts -- Weller is 52. All of his contemporaries from the late-70s have disappeared from view. And he has probably just made the album of his career. I've enjoyed Weller's solo work. In particular, his solo debut, Wild Wood and As Is Now are outstanding albums. But this... this is in a different league. It lacks some of the plodding of other collections -- it's urgent, fun, moving, and energising. If you're a selective downloader, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by cherry-picking selective tracks -- it feels like an organic piece of work and merits 'start to finish' listening. But clear stand-out tracks are the title track, 'No Tears to Cry' with its 'Broken Stones' vibe, 'Andromeda', 'Find The Torch/Burn The Plans' and the astonishing 'Trees'. Lyrically, this song covers the same ground as Elvis Costello's 'Veronica' -- imagining the previous life of residents in a nursing home, but it's so much more than that. It's proud, musically wonderful, and wistful too, when you consider that one of those residents was Weller's own Dad, John. Maybe it's the emotional trauma of his loss that gives this album its rawness, or maybe Weller is just having fun these days. Either way, he has delivered the best album of his solo years, his most musically interesting since 'Confessions Of A Pop Group' and maybe his career masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Awesome, Pat on the back for self!, 17 Sep 2010
Shall I or shall I not? To Deluxe or not to deluxe? Stanley Road Deluxe; great but nothing special. In the end the lure of getting a second CD for not a lot of money was too great. After a minor fall out with the other half withdrew to the shed to pack a few more boxes (we are moving house). Listened to Wake Up The Nation for the first time. Abolutely brilliant. Short sharp excellent examples of just what Weller is. Everything is there. Every creation, mood, influence, style, mode, arrangement Paul Weller has ever experienced and provided for us to enjoy and wonder at is there. This is the culmination of everything Paul Weller has been to date but it is absolutely original, not just churning out the same old crap as too many do today but building on all that has gone before. Absolutely brilliant Paul Weller as we all love him. The pinnacle of his career; or so I thought.
The second disk is without question one of the greatest musical creations I have ever experienced. I still cannot believe what I hear. Argument forgotten I rushed into the kitchen..... What do you think of this then? I enthusiastically enquired of one who is no mug when it comes to Weller. It's awesome was the reply. Who is it then? I asked. No idea, sounds like an upbeat remixed Paul Weller. Exactly what it is. This is Weller being Weller; using everything he has and then encompassing modern beats, electronica, vocals, mixes and techniques to produce something that is a musical milestone. Dubstep with raw aggression, The Jam gone electronica, The Style Council with melodious backing, Weller truly embracing every musical style and using every device available to produce the Michelin 5 star album. (Yes I know Michelin only gives 4 that is why I say 5) No Tears To Cry (Leo Zero Remix) has everything; but all the tracks do so ......... There really is nothing much else to say except that the second disk could be released as a stand alone. Anybody who declines to add Wake Up The Nation to their collection is missing a treat. Is it "Mixers using great source material to produce masterpieces or is it Weller using modern mixes to make his stuff even better? Half full or half empty; same result different explanation: who cares? Everyone who enjoys music of any description should beg steal or borrow; maybe even buy, the Deluxe edition for it is the deluxe bit that epitomises Weller and really is one of the greatest albums I have ever heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN ALBUM OF QUALITY & SUBSTANCE, 19 April 2010
This review is from: Wake Up The Nation (Audio CD)
If like me, you have grown up grown old with the music of Paul Weller then you are in for a bit if a surprise. Do you remember all that gritted teethed aggression and unashamed exuberance at Weller's wild and slightly crazy expressive side ? Well, my fellow music lovers it's time to get very excited indeed at this latest offering by yer' man. The sheer energy and passion of this album will take you back to that of the Jam. Our man has combined every element of his musical journey to culminate in a diverse but surprisingly addictive collection of tunes. He probably doesn't need any more plaudits and pats on the back and I'm sure he's aware by now how truly talented he is but I have to say this maybe is the best solo album of his career. Thank god for Paul Weller, imagine the size of the void in the music industry without him the last 30 years. Yes, that's right it's unimaginable....

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Weller - God Like Genius - Confirmed, 28 April 2010
M. Wrigley (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wake Up The Nation (Audio CD)
First play of this CD left me wondering if The Man had lost his marbles. Too experimental, a bit avant garde.
Second play and I was coming round to Mr Wellers way of thinking.
By the fifth play I fully understood what this album was all about. There are so many different sounds in there, it takes a little while for your brain to catch up but once you've got your head around it you're on the train.Enjoying the ride, letting your senses absorb every little detail of the journey. Weller is in total control of this guitar led adventure. You will pass through Curtis Mayfield territory, visit Walker Brother Land and stop off somewhere near to the town of Northern Soul. There's also plenty of Paul Weller in there too!!!
As a body of work, this album is a true masterpiece.
If 22 Dreams failed to excite you, then this one is for you. A total change of direction, The Angry Young Man of yesteryear is back and He's got plenty to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Drawer - but not for everyone, 21 April 2010
This review is from: Wake Up The Nation (Audio CD)
This album works - wondefully. On the whole it is fast and furious and angry - all those things about Weller so many of his fans love - but it has clever and quieter moments too. Worth buying, just for the wonderful "Trees" - a medley of 4 songs which has to remind the lister of Abbey Road - with the medley of Lennon/McCartney songs - though this is clearly Weller. "She Speaks" and "Find the Torch, Burn the Plans" are rousing songs of geuine quality, and there are plenty of songs to get you up and your feet. "Andromeda" reminds the listener of Bowie, "No Tears to Cry" of Orbison - but the whole album - well, it could only be the modfather!

It does not have the commercial appeal of Stanley Road - there will not be a string of successful single releases, but for thos of you who like a fratic, electric Weller, the this album is absolute top drawer. I am one of those people, and I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars He just gets better...., 16 Oct 2010
This review is from: Wake Up The Nation (Audio CD)
Weller demonstrates more than adequately that he's still at the top of his game, indeed he betters his last outing. Lacking nothing in energy or musical talent, or indeed ire for anything that he cares to comment on, he demonstrates that there's plenty to be left to be said, and plenty different ways of doing it. Top class stuff, can't wait to see it live. No idea if it's 'maturing' or 'improving' his talent and don't much care it's that good. Slightly narrower spread of styles than previous outings, but still enough to satisfy, may need another copy of this,as I'm in danger of wearing this copy out. Sheer genius.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Weller at his best !, 14 Oct 2010
This review is from: Wake Up The Nation (Audio CD)
Despite being a Weller Fan I have to say, when I first played "Wake up the Nation" I thought Mr Weller what have you done ?.
However, I stuck with it and gave it a fair trial. Now, I get it, in fact I would go so far as to say it's Weller at his best.
Stick with it, its a definite grower. Mr Weller has done it again !! Pure musical genius !

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER GREAT, 19 May 2010
M. QUINN (NORTHERN IRELAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wake Up The Nation (Audio CD)
ANOTHER WELLER GREAT THE MUSIC THIS TIME IS MOST DEFINITELY INFLUENCED BY 1960'S NORTHERN SOUL. EASY TO LISTEN TO AND THE STYLE SUITS HIS SOULFUL VOICE. GREAT BUY TO ADD TO YOUR WELLER COLLECTION.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Weller, 18 May 2010
Marie (Hampshire,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wake Up The Nation (Audio CD)
Wake Up The Nation is an absolute masterpiece.Paul Weller has pulled more lyrical & musical genius out of his hat to create this brilliant mix of his old style with a modern bite-pure passion,I love it!Good work

4.0 out of 5 stars No Tears, 12 May 2010
I really enjoyed this album and as is often the case with Weller he raised some interesting views on the world which we live in; I bought the deluxe edition with the additional CD, Booklet. The one thing I miss from the days of vinyl is the artwork, opinion & sleeve notes which is lacking from most albums today, worth the extra in my view. The stand out tracks are many on this album, however I admit to being a Weller fan since the late 70's, the soulful No Tears to Cry is probably my favourite track today or is it Find the torch/burn the plans or..!

I was less impressed with the second CD `Change up the Nation' which I found to be a confusing mix of different styles which are not coherent when listened to back to back, but again some of the remixes were to my taste and I felt that overall it added to the value of the deluxe edition, lets face it your probably already a Weller fan if your buying this version over the single disc version or the download.

Wake Up The Nation
Wake Up The Nation by Paul Weller (Audio CD - 2010)