4.0 out of 5 stars Brand New Material At Last!
If you are already a huge King's X fan like me, then you will have been looking forward to this new release with some trepidation. The last two releases were Black Like Sunday and the live album, the former being a collection of rehashed old demos. This made for an interesting listening but an album of brand new material would have been preferable.
I have now...
Published on 11 Oct 2005 by gingerguru

I love Kings X, there's no ego in their playing, they play for the band always. This album isn't as good as the first 4 albums, but a natural progression. It sounds like Soundgarden meets Blackstone Cherry. The only reason I've given them 3 stars is because I'm comparing it to the other albums I've already heard from them. A bit harsh but I'm sticking to it.
Published 22 days ago by Tim

4.0 out of 5 stars Brand New Material At Last!, 11 Oct 2005
gingerguru "gingerguru" (Billericay, Essex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ogre Tone (Audio CD)
I have now listened to Ogre Tone a good few times and I am pleased to say the band have returned with a crowd pleaser. This is certainly helped by using a producer outside the band in Michael Wagener who has produced some great rock albums in the past for various acts. The overall sound is undeniably King's X but with a contemporary twist.
The best songs seem to come in the first half of the album, the opening five tracks are all very strong. "Bebop" takes a few listens to get into and the elvis-inspired lyrics will surprise. "Honesty" is another of Ty's great solo ballads, very simply recorded on acoustic with great trademark vocal harmonies. If I have a criticism with the playing it would be the sparsity of Ty's solos which, given the current trends in rock,I expected to be plentiful. Somehow, however, he still manages to impress. The rest of the band are as consistently good as ever with Doug impressing with some powerful notes.
Overall, this gets 4 stars. Had the second half been as good as the first, I would have given it 5. Shame about "Sooner or Later" and "Open my eyes" - neither are particularly pleasant to listen to. Maybe they'll grow on me over time.
If you are a fan, do not hesitate in purchasing. Let's hope they come over and play in England again - these songs would be great live.
By the way, the album includes a "new" version of Goldilox from the band's very first album. It isn't much different - a few vocal embellishments and the guitar sound on the solo is a little more cutting. The songs remains one of their classics.

5.0 out of 5 stars King's X Rock Hard!, 15 Nov 2005
This review is from: Ogre Tone (Audio CD)
As a long time King's X fan I thought maybe their best was behind them. I bought this album to be a completist - I have everything else they've released. Having lived with it for a while, I feel like shouting at myself "oh ye of little faith!"
Ogre Tones is, quite frankly, monstrously good. Its their best album since Dogman and candidate for my album of the year. After the lukewarm albums of recent times Ogre Tones is a significant return to form. All the essential KX elements are in place: Doug's savage bass, Ty's soaring harmonies and nimble guitar work, Jerry's rigid drumming. But this time around they've written some stunning songs, not just a batch of riffs.
In "Alone" they've delivered their most likely hit in years. There are big rock monsters like "Hurricane" and "Open My Eyes" to please fans of the downtuned guitar. There are Ty accoustic wonders like "Honesty". And, most importantly, there is a recording of "Goldilox" that does that rarest of things: it betters the original.
Doug Pinnick was 55 this year. You wouldn't know it, as this is one of the sprightliest rock albums of 2005. King's X, my friends, are BACK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing heavy rock slab!, 27 Jun 2009
This review is from: Ogre Tone (Audio CD)
A great return to really great form here, heavier than recent and the quality of songs and the whole album is hugely impressive. These songs are some modern rock classics, still funky but catchy and as good as many 'legendary' rock or metal bands out there now. This is a really great new direction and still holds their identity while stretching them in new ways. Very original, catchy, rock, funk heavy grooves. Nice.

3.0 out of 5 stars The album is heavy and fast for the most part, so metal fans should be pretty pleased with it., 30 Aug 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Energy with no creativity, 5 Nov 2007
MRSCRY (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ogre Tone (Audio CD)
This is King's X's only bad album. There is a ton of energy on it, but the band used absolutely no brains on any of these songs... if this was my first time hearing these guys, I'd think they had the IQ of your typical thrash band. And what in the world were they doing rehashing several songs whose original versions were FANTASTIC?! How can any King's X fan who heard the original "Freedom" not find this album to be an insult? What makes King's X albums so great is their ability to combine smarts with rock, but this album sounds more like a beginners' rock exercise. Nothing special going on here whatsoever.

Ogre Tones
Ogre Tones by King's X (Audio CD - 2012)