5.0 out of 5 stars Someone special
What can be said about Amy MacDonald? Probably the most underrated singer/songwriter in the British Isles at the moment. Her first album "This is the life" is an absolutely fantastic record and I cannot recommend it highly enough, every song on that album showcases Amy's unique songwriting ability and when listening to it you forget that she was only 19 when it was...
Published on 8 Mar. 2010 by Mr Simon Spinks

2.0 out of 5 stars Great voice, good songs, poor recordings
I bought 2 CD's of Amy McDonald at the same time, "A Curious Life" and "This is the life".
I loved her voice and I thought the songs were pretty good with some being excellent.

The two star rating is for the recording quality otherwise 5 star.

What ruined it for me were the poor quality of the recordings, the music totally drowned out the voice...
Published on 28 Nov. 2010 by L. Hastings

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure., 24 Mar. 2010
C. M. Mitchell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
This is the first Amy Macdonald album I have bought - I have ordered the first so have yet to form an opinion on "This is the Life".

I was shocked and very pleasantly surprised by "A Curious Thing". A pleasure to listen to. Amy shows a maturity in her song writing that songwriters much older than her would envy and her album speaks of her expereinces of fame and the celebrity lifestyle.

Every now and then you expereince an album and you know that it's with you for the long haul - for me this is one of those albums - at the risk of being corny - it will be a friend for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 15 May 2010
This review is from: A Curious Thing (MP3 Download)
A worthy second album (and how often can you say that). Beautiful voice, beautifully crafted songs. If "This Is The Life" appealed, do not hesitate to add this to your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A curious thing, 6 April 2010
J. BARKER (Reading, Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This Is the Life

A fantastic selection of classy songs, I want to see this lady live!

A couple of years ago I heard "Mr Rock n Roll" on the radio and then a couple more songs while travelling in EASTERN EUROPE (Poland, Czech Rep and Romania) and bought the first Cd which has seldom left my turntable!

Similarly "A curious thing" has become a regular on my CD player.

3.0 out of 5 stars restrictive! DRM, 24 Nov. 2010
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
The music is fine, but I'm not happy about the restrictive Digital Rights Management, that means I can't rip this to MP3 to play in the generic MP3 player of my choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Curious and A Beautiful Thing, 8 Mar. 2010
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
Amy Macdonald's 2007 debut 'This Is The Life'
was one of my favorite albums of that year.
A fine young singer/songwriter whose unaffected
energy and style put her way ahead of the pack.

With her second album 'A Curious Thing' I can
find no reason whatsoever to revise that view.

That her musical imagination has grown is
immediately self-evident from the uplifting
opening bars of 'Don't Tell Me That It's Over'
to the perfectly beautiful closing moments of
'What Happiness Means To Me'.

There has been a huge leap in both maturity
and an increasingly coherent musical vision.

Ms Macdonald's voice seems to have overcome some
of its initial limitations. Rich, confident, expressive and
capable of communicating powerful and credible emotion.
It is a fine instrument.
Her subtle Scottish accent adds another layer of charm.

Of the twelve compositions in this collection
'Spark' is a real standout number. A rousing anthem
with a big, big chorus pitching enough electricity
to strip the paint from a village hall ceiling!

'Love Love', too, chugs along happily in its own company.
The folksy melody and rockin'-rollin' arrangement is
bursting at the seams with good humoured bitterness.

The simple but enchanting ballad 'My Only One' has a
finely wrought tune which looks affectionately backwards
into the mists of a rich musical heritage whilst pinning
our hearts firmly to a vividly delineated here-and-now.
The strings play beautifully too!

'Troubled Soul' is another cracker! (It reminds me a little
of 'Run', the finest track by a mile on her last release).

Best of the bunch, however, has got to be the aforementioned
'What Happiness Means To Me'. A song as splendid as this comes
along only once or twice in an artist's lifetime.
A truly moving conclusion to a wonderful album.

Ms Macdonald has more than ably demonstrated
her burgeoning talent with 'A Curious Thing'.
That she is in it for the long run is patently clear!

Essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amy Macdonald ... 10 Stars, 17 Oct. 2010
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
First time I heard Don't Tell Me That It's Over all I thought was who would sing such a brilliant mature enlightening song? That is how I came to know Amy Macdonald. Little did I know that she even wrote it. Then I heard Youth of Today and Troubled Soul and I thought that's it. I bought both albums This is The Life and A Curious Thing directly. Appreciated and loved immediately, Amy Macdonald is an exceptionally talented artist and songwriter. Both albums have been running on constantly for the past month. I can even say that these are probably two of the very very few albums that I literally dont skip a single track on. It's not just the beautiful music nor the emotional unique voice, the level of maturity, beauty and value in every word of every song is just beyond words. Must-have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to all expectations, 10 Mar. 2010
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
I am pleased to say that this album lives up to all expectations. I loved Amys first album, and was doubtful that the second album could live up to it. But it does. I can easily listen to it over and over in my car and dont get tired of it. Each time I listen to it, I find another song which I adore. I especially love to listen to 'Give it all up', 'Love Love' and 'Dont tell me that its over'

I am not sure if has as many big hits as 'This is the Life' such as 'Poisn Prince' and 'Run'. Amys voice is so unique and she is a real raw talent. I really dont understand why she isnt so well known in the UK as she is in other countries. From listening to her second album, and liking the majority of her songs (95%) I would really like to go and see her sing live.

4.0 out of 5 stars Letter to Amy, 13 Jun. 2010
B. M. Walker - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
So Amy, after a truly brilliant first album, you tossed a coin with Paul Weller to decide whether you remained as Annie Lennox or you got the amps out and metamorphosed into an Oasis offshoot .Obviously he won.There ARE at least six overproduced here AND it spoils somesongs /your voice.Your songs ARE great but need to be treated with the relevant sensitivity not by turning up the studio amps.A very good album but it drops short of greatness with its overloaded AOR guitar work.Don't believe me ? listen to how you reverse the process on Dancing in the Dark. Would be happiest to go somewhwere between acoustic and overdriven on the next one-----having said that--- we love you Amy, well done just the same lass !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amy's Second Album Does Not Disappoint!, 11 Feb. 2010
A. Rosenbloom (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
As a fan of Amy's first album, I was anxious to hear what she had in store for her sophomore effort. "A Curious Thing" lived up to every expectation I had, and even outshone her first album, "This is the Life". Every song on this album builds on the last and showcases a more grown-up side of Amy. Her music has greatly matured since her last album was released, but still showcases the same overall tone and style that made "This is the Life" a success. If you liked her first album, you'll LOVE her second (at least I do)!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a sophmore slump, 27 Mar. 2010
P. A. Puttee "save the heart" (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
The Scottish sweetheart releases her second album this week. Her debut "This Is The Life" was a great success in the UK with its folk-pop tunes. Her beautifully thick accent brought the songs out from the either in her writing. "A Curious Thing" takes a detour with a more rockability sound. Sure you have your artists who combine folk-pop and rock-pop, but Amy has found her own style. Her voice also appears smoother than it had before. The first single "Don't Tell Me That It's Over" cracks the album open. With an orchestral feel, it shows the small change of direction she has made from this record to the last. A little more tragic and just as hopeful. Second albums sometimes become a continuation from the first but I think she's managed to make the album stand alone, with her growth and maturity in songwriting. Again Amy tackles subjects except they seem more serious than her last effort. Issues of love, finding home and body image. Worrying of the day you'll lose your looks. "This Pretty Face" echoes that of fellow Scottish singer KT Tunstall's "Suddenly I See". My favorite track is "Spark". I found it surprisingly addictive.
Amy's folk roots are very present in the album, but for those of you out there who aren't keen on folk music, don't be deterred. These songs have as much quantity and exhilaration as the more pop orientated songs. At some points the album does lose momentum, but also picks itself up again. Switching between softer songs to semi-charged rock songs made it an interesting listen. Well done Amy. This second release doesn't disappoint.

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

A Curious Thing
A Curious Thing by Amy Macdonald (Audio CD - 2009)