5.0 out of 5 stars Someone special
What can be said about Amy MacDonald? Probably the most underrated singer/songwriter in the British Isles at the moment. Her first album "This is the life" is an absolutely fantastic record and I cannot recommend it highly enough, every song on that album showcases Amy's unique songwriting ability and when listening to it you forget that she was only 19 when it was...
Published on 8 Mar 2010 by Mr Simon Spinks

3.0 out of 5 stars Deleuxe - Not worth it?
I loved the first album, and am starting to get into the second one. It is not so immediately catchy, but definitely the Amy McDonald that we love.

There are problems with the 'deluxe' version. The online CD databases confuse it with the first album messing up track libraries, the case is only cardboard, but worst of all, the extra live album is a real...
Published on 27 Mar 2010 by Striding Edge

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A curious thing, 6 April 2010
J. BARKER (Reading, Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This Is the Life

A fantastic selection of classy songs, I want to see this lady live!

A couple of years ago I heard "Mr Rock n Roll" on the radio and then a couple more songs while travelling in EASTERN EUROPE (Poland, Czech Rep and Romania) and bought the first Cd which has seldom left my turntable!

Similarly "A curious thing" has become a regular on my CD player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big sound from a wee lassie !!!, 5 April 2010
J. Lavelle (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Curious Thing (MP3 Download)
I bought the first ablum, this is the life and it was a terriffic listen, then just over a month ago, my partner won tickets to see Amy live, to be honest, i wasnt expecting much, how wrong was I, I repeat How wrong WAS I, so there Amy was with her band, in a club in Glasgow. She starts her Set with Spark, I was Blown away, so after the gig, went straight and bought the Album, what a treat, this album is. certainly on a different level from This Is The Life, Its Big, Its Bold, It bounces, its terrific. The Lass is so under rated, Biggest Artist in Switzerland, when I seen her she had Just go the biggest selling album in Europe, not bad going for a lass from Glasgow. Id like to add, while the Album is amazing , go she her live, shes outstanding, very down to earth girl, who is older in mind than she is in body.

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure., 24 Mar 2010
C. M. Mitchell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
This is the first Amy Macdonald album I have bought - I have ordered the first so have yet to form an opinion on "This is the Life".

I was shocked and very pleasantly surprised by "A Curious Thing". A pleasure to listen to. Amy shows a maturity in her song writing that songwriters much older than her would envy and her album speaks of her expereinces of fame and the celebrity lifestyle.

Every now and then you expereince an album and you know that it's with you for the long haul - for me this is one of those albums - at the risk of being corny - it will be a friend for many years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid album but lacks some of the vitality and freshness of 'This is the Life', 13 Mar 2010
AK (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Curious Thing (MP3 Download)
This is definitely a solid follow-on album, if not quite as good as This Is The Life in my opinion. The album consists of 2 CDs, the first one having the new songs, the second one containing a live performance of the first album (and some cover versions, including Mr Brightside by the Killers).

The new songs are relatively well judged and follow on from the first album - in some ways more mature and polished, if perhaps lacking the vitality and power of songs like Youth Of Today. The live performances of the earlier album are a mixed bag - some work particularly well and the additional raw power of Amy's voice impresses, some of the others just do not gel in the live version.

Overall the album provides quite good value (given that it is in effect a double album), even though I still think that if you want only one album of Amy Macdonald, you are better served by This Is The Life.

The fact that purchasing MP3s on Amazon is now just as easy and painless as with the iTunes store but cheaper being an added bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amy's Second Album Does Not Disappoint!, 11 Feb 2010
A. Rosenbloom (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
As a fan of Amy's first album, I was anxious to hear what she had in store for her sophomore effort. "A Curious Thing" lived up to every expectation I had, and even outshone her first album, "This is the Life". Every song on this album builds on the last and showcases a more grown-up side of Amy. Her music has greatly matured since her last album was released, but still showcases the same overall tone and style that made "This is the Life" a success. If you liked her first album, you'll LOVE her second (at least I do)!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Curious and A Beautiful Thing, 8 Mar 2010
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
Amy Macdonald's 2007 debut 'This Is The Life'
was one of my favorite albums of that year.
A fine young singer/songwriter whose unaffected
energy and style put her way ahead of the pack.

With her second album 'A Curious Thing' I can
find no reason whatsoever to revise that view.

That her musical imagination has grown is
immediately self-evident from the uplifting
opening bars of 'Don't Tell Me That It's Over'
to the perfectly beautiful closing moments of
'What Happiness Means To Me'.

There has been a huge leap in both maturity
and an increasingly coherent musical vision.

Ms Macdonald's voice seems to have overcome some
of its initial limitations. Rich, confident, expressive and
capable of communicating powerful and credible emotion.
It is a fine instrument.
Her subtle Scottish accent adds another layer of charm.

Of the twelve compositions in this collection
'Spark' is a real standout number. A rousing anthem
with a big, big chorus pitching enough electricity
to strip the paint from a village hall ceiling!

'Love Love', too, chugs along happily in its own company.
The folksy melody and rockin'-rollin' arrangement is
bursting at the seams with good humoured bitterness.

The simple but enchanting ballad 'My Only One' has a
finely wrought tune which looks affectionately backwards
into the mists of a rich musical heritage whilst pinning
our hearts firmly to a vividly delineated here-and-now.
The strings play beautifully too!

'Troubled Soul' is another cracker! (It reminds me a little
of 'Run', the finest track by a mile on her last release).

Best of the bunch, however, has got to be the aforementioned
'What Happiness Means To Me'. A song as splendid as this comes
along only once or twice in an artist's lifetime.
A truly moving conclusion to a wonderful album.

Ms Macdonald has more than ably demonstrated
her burgeoning talent with 'A Curious Thing'.
That she is in it for the long run is patently clear!

Essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better and better, 27 July 2013
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
A friend in England turned me on to Amy's music a couple of years ago and have been in love with her sound ever since. This album is better than the last and looking forward to lots more from her.

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING 2, 16 July 2013
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
I saw this lady on television and thought "I have got to gert her album". It did not diaaspoint, great songs, great lyrics

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 3 May 2013
Robina Sansom (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
If you like Amy Macdonald this album will not disappoint! There is nothing not to love in my opinion. I would definitety recommend it to anyone who is a fan and to anyone who likes pop with a folksy feel. There is a definite progression from the first album. You can tell that many of the songs come from personal experiences, some of which you can relate to and I love that she has kept the scottish twang to her voice which is what draws me in. Can't wait for her next album

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Feb 2013
Malcolm Middlebrook (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
I went online to get the song This Pretty Face which I liked when it first came out and though it better value to buy the album. As it turned out I am glad I did as I think it is brilliant and really like Amy MacDonald's way of putting a song over.

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

A Curious Thing
A Curious Thing by Amy Macdonald (Audio CD - 2009)