Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 April 2010
The very first time I listened to the mighty, rousing refrain of the title track of `The World Became the World' I was nearly plunged into a full-on prog trance. Which wasn't ideal, as I was driving at the time. When I got home my newly acquired Esoteric release went straight on the stereo - I whacked it up and I was away!

I like to keep my ears pinned for lost musical treasures from the 70s and beyond, and Esoteric have certainly turned up plenty of gems with their ongoing programme of reissues. But for me this one tops them all. Listening to `The World Becomes the World' and the other equally good PFM albums now on Esoteric I couldn't believe that somehow this band had hitherto passed me by. I'm certainly making up for lost time now.

Despite PFM being an Italian band, the lyrics (by Peter Sinfield, of King Crimson fame) are sung in English. The music is very well played and recorded, being an eclectic blend of 70s prog stylings, perhaps having most in common with early King Crimson on this particular album. However, it is certainly not derivative, and has a unique sound of its own - in my view, the equal of almost anything produced by the prog giants of the 70s.

The album has been remastered by Esoteric and sounds good. The CD comes in a jewel case with an extensive booklet with photos and notes that help fill in the bands history for those who missed them first time round (though apparently they're still going strong in Italy).

This is awesome, classic progressive rock; classic, that is, both in terms of its era and quality.
on 17 May 2010
OK let me just make it clear. I was a teenager and a student in the 70s so its probably inevitable that I grew up loving prog-rock. And of course you can never really forget a first love....

The first time I heard the title track of this album, I too was blown away by it and played it endlessly for days afterwards. This is British prog-rock of the finest quality, that just happens to be played by a great bunch of Italians. You get all the cliches - rolling synths, all manner of other non-rock-band instruments and completely inexplicable lyrics by Pete Sinfield. But if you like the original King Crimson when he was still at court then you'll almost certainly like this too.
on 13 November 2013
The Italian '70s prog rock masterpiece. PFM have done some great stuff, but this, their first English album on the ELP Manticore label, is a genuine piece of rock art. Operatic embellishments and instrumental arrangements that could only come out of Italy combine with an art rock proficiency to wow the senses. These guys are amazing musicians, and to this day I rate the title track and The Mountain as indispensable examples of what's best in progressive rock and where, emotively, it can be taken. Renaissance rock?
on 2 May 2015
Great album takes me back when I saw them in 75 (i think) at the Old Victoria London.
on 2 February 2015
This is the same sympho band like Star Castle and Yes from the 70's very good.
on 28 June 2015