5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably light, strong tent
Published 16 months ago by S. Butterworth

3.0 out of 5 stars Not tough enough.
When I first put the tent up in the garden I was a bit apprehensive because it looked so flimsy compared to my previous Vaude Light Wing tent, which admittedly was more than twice the weight.

Initial thoughts:
+ Nice and light.
Published 13 months ago by Pete

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably light, strong tent, 27 May 2013
S. Butterworth (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vaude Power Lizard Tent (Sports)
I wanted a lightweight tent for backpacking and wild camping and this was the lightest I could find. Weighing in at just over a kg and packing down to a smaller volume than my coat ,it takes up very little room in a rucksack and is small enough to carry as an emergency shelter. It takes about 10 minutes to put up, and about 5 to repack. The tent inner is clipped to the outer, so can be very quickly assempbed as one piece. The external pole system is very light and strong, and the whole thing is amazingly rigid once tensioned. On its second use I was in a Lake District gale with heavy rain and hailstone, but it stayed totally dry and even relatively warm inside. The structure withstood gusting winds completely.

This is billed as a 1/2 man tent; there is plenty of room for one, and the floor area is big enough for two sleep mats. However if you plan to use with two, expect to be fairly intimate. There is just about enough headroom to sit up in the centre, and it is slightly awkward for a man of my mature years to get in and out of. The supplied titanium tentpegs, though ultralight, are a bit too tiny to totally secure the tent and incredibally hard to find in the dark. I've got some more substantial ones for the main guys. Thats a small gripe though, and easily solved.

in summary, the perfect tent for lightweight backpacking, wild camping and adventure racing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ultralight weight tent, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: Vaude Power Lizard Tent (Sports)
I cycle camp and bought this to save weight and what a saving! When it was delivered I thought something wrong here, this can't be my new tent in this light little box? Bit it was! I had no problems erecting it for the first time, especially as the inner and outer were already attached together. At first I was a bit nervous about it because to be honest the ultra light materials used to make it seemed a bit flimsy. But I need not have worried as its all a lot stronger than it looks and once pitched and tightened up everything comes into place. Only had a few nights out in it so far but surprised at how warm it is yet adequate ventilation and dew free in the morning. Only tinniest grumble was they didn't include the 2 extra pegs needed to go with the storm guides but so pleased with it overall I'm not going to mark it down for that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not tough enough., 13 Aug 2013
Pete (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

Initial thoughts:
+ Nice and light.
+ Packs up very small. You can easily fit it horizontally inside a large backpack rather than having to strap it outside.
+ Very spacious for it's low weight. Plenty of room for one person plus kit without feeling cramped.
+ It didn't let in any water during a heavy downpour.
- The pegs are as flimsy as hairpins. They are utterly ridiculous and need replacing.
- Vaude have not included a pole repair kit on this model, presumably so they can publish a lower weight (hence the daft pegs).
- The thin base of the tent does not inspire confidence. The place I bought it supplied a free footprint (400g extra). I figured I needed it - somewhat defeating the object of a lightweight tent.

Anyway, I packed it up and headed off on my two month hiking trip Iceland and Greenland. Here's what I found.

+ Waterproofness was excellent. Not a drop the whole trip.
+ I did not experience any problems with condensation.
- The zip is absurd. It's hard to zip up and the sil-nylon flap keeps catching in it. The problem is alleviated by slackening the tension on the whole tent but this reduces stability.
- The fly does not reach all of the way to the ground. This means that cold wind comes under and into the tent. Need to factor windchill into your selection of sleeping bag. I hadn't.
- The tent is very flappy, even when correctly tensioned. Not a big problem but it sounds like it's blowing a gale outside even in a moderate breeze.
- On my first night of strong wind, a fixing that seats one of the small poles tore from the main tent. This meant that one end of the tent, whilst being held in place by the guy rope was only help up by gravity. Every few nights from then on I would wake up to find one end of the tent collapsed.
- The same windy night bent the main pole. I don't know the windspeed that night. In fairness it was strong but not so strong that you had to lean into it.

On my return I obtained a full refund from the manufacturer (which was decent of them) and I put the money towards the tried and tested Hilleberg Akto. The Akto weighs 600g more but has proper zips, pegs, repair kits and heavier duty base (no footprint required). It looks and feels stronger too.

In summary, I would say that the Power Lizard would be a decent tent for the user whose looking to save weight and is just going away for a couple of nights when the weather forecast is good and stable. I would not recommend it to anyone going on longer trips or to alpine environments.

When I bought this tent my priority was to carry less weight. After my trip I decided that I'd be happy to carry a little more for a lot more quality. For my purposes, a tent needs to inspire confidence so that when I'm woken by the wind and rain outside I can just roll over and go back to sleep. My previous Vaude tent gave me that confidence as does my Hilleberg. The Vaude Power Lizard did not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good little big tent, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Vaude Power Lizard Tent (Sports)
I love this tent. I wanted to have a lightweight and small tent, that would be easy to pack & carry. I am 190 cm tall, so tent had to be roomy enough - and this one is. For one big person this is great, and even two two persons can share it - anyway, there wont be too much space left over. Anyway, very good product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Light and impressive but lacking air-flow, 29 Oct 2013
This review is from: Vaude Power Lizard Tent (Sports)
My boyfriend and I used this tent on a cycle tour of Europe in September. It was never noticed on the back of the back either for size or weight but we had persistent problems with condensation. I have yet to sleep in this on my own but I imagine halving the body heat and breath might be enough to stop the problem.

We did a little video of us putting up the tent on several pitches at high speed if you're interested in seeing it going up.

[...]

We'll be doing a big cycle tour using it come the summertime; if we figure out a way to stop the condensation building up I'll update the review.

If I was purchasing a lightweight tent again ventilation would be higher on my list than pack size or weight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light but fragile!, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Vaude Power Lizard Tent (Sports)
Lot of free space for 1 people use :).
You have to handle if with care ;)
Weight is conform to the specification (1.05kg).

4.0 out of 5 stars HiTec at a price, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Vaude Power Lizard Tent (Sports)
You know you are getting a quality product, it's a Vaude, they have a very good reputation, so the initial thoughts on this tent were not good. Firstly, it is a bit of a pig to set up, sometimes it just sits right, straight from the pack, other times it seems to take ages of fiddling with peg positions and tensioning to get the tent to look good. You really have to stretch the fly out to prevent noisy flapping when the wind catches it, and to try and keep it from coming into contact with the inner. It does suffer from very bad condensation, the inside can be dripping in the morning, making packing up a damp process. Most of the wet can be shaken off, but it doesn't dry off quickly in the morning sun as there is so little through draught even with the door flap open as wide as possible. Having said that, I have learned to like it. The light weight and small pack size makes carrying and stowing easy. Unlike many 'coffin' tents I have had, this one will genuinely fit two adults, plus we managed to get all our cycling panniers etc under cover. Don't expect a vast amount of space, but there is enough, and that is the aim of this tent. I've found it solid in wind, and completely waterproof. The poles look a little delicate, and the floor is very prone to damage, but this is the price you pay for light weight. Prices vary a lot, so shop around, the sand coloured version is the cheapest option, but who wants a sand coloured tent?

2.0 out of 5 stars ground sheet wore through in 1 night, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Vaude Power Lizard Tent (Sports)
The specs of this tent are fantastic. However. The lightweight fabrics are simply not up to expedition trips. After just one night the groundsheet had worn through, we were sleeping on long grass and just a small twig caused the issue. At a cost of 100gbp to have it professionally fixed it really isn't worth it - especially when its already costly.

I have had several Vaudes, Hillebergs and Terra-Novas in the past and have never had issues with wear over 1 night. I have no faith is this tent now and I'm afraid that I have now sold it on.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect., 19 May 2014
This review is from: Vaude Power Lizard Tent (Sports)
loads of space, practically weightless, no condensation. Used it twice in the last 2 weeks, not had much rain yet, taking up to the lakes next week so bound to have some rain then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Troværdighed, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Vaude Power Lizard Tent (Sports)
Godt produkt, hurtig og sikker levering, sikker betaling. Alt som det skal være.
Kan stærkt anbefales, og til den pris, kan selv hobbycampisyer være med.

Vaude Power Lizard Tent