5.0 out of 5 stars blu ray IS better than the DVD and here's why :
Published 22 months ago by Johan RF

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK - But Another Modern Day Setting.....
Published on 27 May 2008 by Adam Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars blu ray IS better than the DVD and here's why :, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: War of The Worlds [Blu-ray] [2005] (Blu-ray)
Ok so some people did not understand the way this film was shot. It was SUPPOSED to be grainy and gritty. The film I will not review apart from to say I think its superb and a very different take on the story with the focus on the personal human desperation and emotions with the acting being top notch. The blu ray version offers one thing above the DVD in spades ( as they usually do ) and that is colour saturation and depth. The DVD has washed out colours and a rather 2D feel, the HD version gives a greater depth of field in many shots and hence is well worth the purchase. The HD audio is also obviously much better than the DVD audio if you have a half decent home cinema amp. I really do not understand those who rate down a movie because its not like something else ( ie the previous version of the movie or the book ) , this stands on its own and Tom Cruise ( who has been ordinary in many movies of late ) is brilliant. RECOMMENDED.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'WHAT ON EARTH CAN STOP THE INVADERS', 10 Aug 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: War of The Worlds [Blu-ray] [2005] (Blu-ray)
The film has since it's release attracted mixed reviews many 'slate it' some love it,....myself, I
love special-effect spectacles and watch films to be entertained, this 'Steven Spielberg' offering
does just that, a story of blind panic and intense fear......what if ?
'Ray Ferrier' (Tom Cruise) a dock worker lives on his own these days, every so often he has his
two children over to stay, 'Robbie' (Justin Chatwin) who doesn't really want to be there, and 10
year-old 'Rachel' (Dakota Fanning)
A strange phenomenon occurs in the sky's that is totally unexplainable, lightning strikes (lightning
never strikes in the same place 'Ray' tells his Daughter....til' now that is) power fails, holes are
appearing in the ground, a loud rumble causes earthquake like conditions.
Panic quickly sets in, people are running around like headless chickens but have no escape from
what is happening, buildings and fly-overs are collapsing, all of a sudden, giant machines surface,
the 'World' is under attack.
'Ray's' priority has to be his 'Kids' as the machines begin to exterminate all human life seemingly
and destroy structures.
There's only one thing to do - 'run' - 'Ray' sets off with his children in an attempt to find a safe haven,
however they will soon discover a place of safety doesn't exist as the 'invaders' broaden their assault.
The temporary safety they thought for a short while they had found is quickly no longer so, a plane
has been brought down in their location leaving devastation in it's wake.
Widespread demolition is happening at the 'will' of the machines, where had they come from, is it really
possible they had been planted below ground century's ago awaiting the return of their creatures.
'Ray' and his children have to fight their way through the fleeing hoards as they seek a safe haven, but
the situation is becoming increasingly more desperate for them.
Young 'Rachel' is terrified by the sights that are confronting her -.'Robbie' is desperate to join the military's
fight back.
Things are beginning to turn far more sinister as it becomes clear what the 'Aliens' need those they capture
for.
The three are separated as 'Ray' now with just 'Rachel' in tow continue to battle for survival...
What on Earth will stop the 'Aliens' and their Machines from enforcing their intent upon the planet ?
Will 'Ray' and Daughter 'Rachel' ever re-unite with 'Robbie' or has he become a casualty of War ?
The film brings futuristic writer 'H,G.Wells' late 19th century story to life.
I believe with the special-effects harboured in this version would have received the writers approval.
I like to re-visit films such as this now and again because of the visual impact they bring to the screen.
SPECIAL FEATURES -
* Revisiting the invasion.
* Steven Spielberg and the original 'War of the Worlds'
* Characters - The family unit.
* The 'H.G.Wells' Legacy.
* Previsualisation.
* Designing the Enemy. 'Tripods' and 'Aliens'
* Production Diaries.
* Scoring - War of the Worlds.
* We are not Alone.
* Galleries.
* Theatrical Teaser Trailers,.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Master Class in Action Movies, 4 Jan 2006
By A Customer
In War of the Worlds. Spielberg shows us that he can still do great action movies. The tension rises at the start and never flags till the end. The effects are superb too, and unlike many Spielberg films this has a grisly edge (not suitable for young children). Many of the reviews posted here criticise the film, I think they are missing the point. This is action adventure done very well. Sure the storyline is them running away from bad aliens, but it is tense and scary throughout. Dakota Fanning is annoying - on scream mode - and the ending is weak - just like the original 1899 book. Indeed, the book is not one of HG Well's best, and this film pretty much shares its weaknesses. But for two hours of big budget excitment and danger, you won't see much better.

4.0 out of 5 stars this was so loud in the cinima. fun movie, 12 Aug 2014
This review is from: War of The Worlds [Blu-ray] [2005] (Blu-ray)
This was a fun movie I really enjoyed it. I thought the first tripod was fantastic. there was no messing around it came up out of the ground and didn't wait around, just started zapping everyone into dust lol. I appreciated this. The tripods were creepy for their sheer size and the noise they made when they moved around. There was no stomping, they are actually more graceful and seem to move smoothly. I have not read the book or seen the previous movie so I am immune to this movies apparent "imperfections".

I thought the storm at the start was super creepy, I love storms so that was a huge plus for me, the way the wind blew towards the storm. that was a bit twisted. being an empath I can easily put myself inside the characters in the movie and always feel these things to the max so the storm part was really cool.

the one thing that got a little under my skin was the aliens themselves, I thought they looked a little bit too much like the ones in independence day and I don't really like that. I was hoping they would have a unique look that no one has seen before. I did like the fact that they kind of had the same shape heads as the tripods themselves but after that I was simply unmoved by them and didn't see them as much of a threat. The tripods were way more intimidating and cold. I love the noise they make when they are moving around and using their lasers. its a real crackly electric popping noise, they give me goose bumps.

I enjoyed the action in this movie, it seemed to flow nicely I never really felt bored. I have a wild imagination so this type of scenario would appeal to me automatically. I love any type of natural disaster/invasion movie and am glad to have this one in my collection. Plus I am far easier to please and not that fussy.

I think some people take this movie way too seriously because of the book and previous movie. I must be the lucky one so because I have a blast watching this. its not perfect no but I mean come on who cares? just have fun watching everyone getting blasted into dust, its cool.
5 stars minus one star for the stupid looking aliens.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK - But Another Modern Day Setting....., 27 May 2008
Adam Jackson "Symphonic Metal Fan" (Stoke On Trent , England) - See all my reviews
This isn't one of Spielberg's classics & is an opportunity missed to present the 1898 novel as it was originally written by Wells. The 1953 movie had financial/technological constraints that necessitated it's(then) modern day, American setting but come on, Spielberg hardly needed to raid the piggy bank!!! So why set it in 2005 America?? Look no further than 9/11 for this as it is VERY edgy & pessimistic. A noble cause admittedly.
Basically the only things retained are the gigantic Tripods which I have to admit are probably the most photo realistic CG creations yet seen & also the story's biological salvation. Otherwise it's a Tom Cruise movie. Seriously, Cruise over dominates the movie, his features in 99.9% of every frame!! All this when you really want to see the annihilation of our cosy little world!
This is half the problem, Spielberg goes for a less is more approach, obviously keen to avoid comparisons with 1996 popcorn sci fi, Independence Day. It has to be stressed that the two films are completeley different with ID having far more OTT alien action & WOTW at least, offering us better acting & production values, especially cinematography & visual FX.
The aliens themselves ( It's NEVER explicitly stated that they are from Mars) are well executed in their brief onscreen appearance but are not faithful to the gelatinous cephalopods of Wells's vision. A little bit similiar to ID actually - although much better realised. And vicious, cunning creatures they are too with an appetite for human blood!
I will say that the first wave of the alien attack is absoluteley incredible in its spectacle & ruthlessness as buildings, cars & people are vaporised by the deadly, alien death rays. Prior to this, the tension is built up unbearably as it's revealed that it's not going to be just another day...
Vintage Spielberg! Somehow, the following setpieces while still decent, fail to recapture this intensity. But the tripods with their lethal weapons, probing tentacles and the chilling noise that they make are damned, damned cool! And genuineley scary...
I think what dissapoints most is that this an ok/good movie with some serious talent onboard, with AMAZING CGI (that never even looks CG) that could have been a real, out & out classic. It's very unlikely that any major studio will ever greenlight another big budget movie that does justice to the source in setting it in early 20th Century England :-(
We have to look to Jeff Wayne's upcoming fully CGI feature to realise this. Until then check out the 1978 album, the Live musical DVD of the same album or the really entertaining 1953 War Of the Worlds movie (Loads of US Army v Martian Warship action & great FX for the '50s).
Oh yes, I forgot, Morgan Freeman narrates the movie's opening/closing scenes. I like Freeman a lot and he's ok here, but not a patch on Richard Burton's definitive 1978 narrative!

5.0 out of 5 stars war of the worlds, 22 Oct 2012
This review is from: War of The Worlds [Blu-ray] [2005] (Blu-ray)
The sound quality on blue-ray is amazing, not a great picture quality but this is how it was filmed / intended, overall a great movie, def get the blue-ray version

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense....,, 17 Aug 2012
I don't understand why so many people hated this film.....I loved it. It was full of stunning action and effects that I couldn't believe it. I watched this film a few days ago on Telivision and I was very impressed and have resently ordered this film from amazon as I really want to watch it again. The first time I watched this film was on one Christmas eve and I can remember being terrified because of how intense it was but watching it again I wasn't scared but I still loved it so much. I thought that everything was good about this film and I especially liked the effects as they were very realistic and I was stunned by how good they were. I can remember being terrified of the way people got zapped because there was a grey dust and the dead peoples' clothes floating in the air! It was a great film although I don't think that everyone would enjoy it as it's about aliens invading the earth and some people might not be interested. In the remaining paragraphs I will be telling you everything about this film. Enjoy....!

Firstly, I will be telling you about the effects of this film. I really loved the effects in this film. They were very realistic and I think would scare many people. When the people get zapped, they explode into a clowd of dust with there clothes floating in the air. I can remember being terrified of this film when I first watched this and I think that the mane reason for this was because of how realistic the effects were. This would have to be one of my favourite Sci-fi films of all time. I just loved it so flipping much and I can't understand why so many people gave it 1 star; unbelieveable!

Also, I really liked the acting for this film. Tom Cruise was stunning in it and I think that he is the mane reason why the film workes. He is very realistic in it and I thought that he was just incredible and is deffinately one of the greatest actors of all time. I also liked everyone else who starred in this film but for me Tom Cruise stood out.

So to conclude, I really liked this film and it was very exciting and intense. I was on the edge of my seat for the whole film and I didn't want it to finish. I honestly can not believe why so many people have given this film one star because I thought that it was amazing! I can't wait to watch this film again.

By 11 year old, The Demon.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Remake. Worthy of the Original, 9 July 2005
I went to see this expecting a hollywood mullering of a classic film. What I got was a brilliant film following the basic plot of the original but with new twists here and there.
This is a brilliant film that I will certainly go and see again and will be placing my order for the DVD as soon as possible.
Buy it on DVD by all means but you must see it in the cinema once to get the full effect.
10/10.

1.0 out of 5 stars War of the Worlds, but where?, 28 Dec 2005
I have loved the story of the War of the Worlds since reading the book as a child and having watched the earlier film.
I looked forward to the Spielberg remake and had already decided to forgive what I saw as inevitable in that the story would once again, as with Orson Welles, be set in America.
I sat down to watch this expecting to be blown away with the battle scenes etc, something that Mr Spielberg excels in, instead I was treated to Tom Cruise, running around like a headless chicken, trying to save two brats who, after about ten minutes of the film, I would have gladly fed to the martians myself.
The biggest battle we witnessed had all the marks of a minor skirmish in downtown Basrah and bore no resemblance to a "War of the Worlds".
H G Wells wrote a cracker of a book, he must have done for Mr Spielberg to want to film it, why then couldn't he have just stuck to the story he was given?
Lets have Tim Burton or Peter Jackson do this properly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice SFX, pity about the story..., 1 Jun 2006
Teemacs (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
One day (he said hopefully) someone will make WOTW the way it was written, in Victorian England, with the British Empire at the height of its powers (but relatively primitive by today's standards) confronted with a vastly superior technology and without the imagination to cope (back then, science fiction as a literary genre was Wells and Jules Vernes and that was about all). I found this a weak effort, which proved that Dakota Fanning could scream very well but not much else. Probably (just) worth it for the SFX; it was pleasing to see at last Wells's tripod monsters strutting the landscape (it was beyond the ability of George Pal in 1953 to create effectively, which is why he chose the hovering machines). The definitive version remains to be filmed.

War of The Worlds [Blu-ray] [2005]
War of The Worlds [Blu-ray] [2005] by Tom Cruise (Blu-ray - 2010)