5.0 out of 5 stars misguided missive

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely awful
Published on 28 Mar 2011 by Mr. A. J. Tennant

5.0 out of 5 stars misguided missive, 5 Sep 2011
This review is from: Bellamy's People [DVD] (DVD)
Blimey. I decided to contribute this having read the previous scathing review of 'Bellamy's People'. It reminded me of the reaction that many people had to 'Fawlty Towers', when they'd expected it to be a continuation of 'Monty Python'. I admit it took me till halfway through the 2nd episode to really appreciate it, but why would you not give a Whitehouse/Higson series that kind of leeway? The thing about these two is that they have a real fondness for the human condition and the characters who are stuck with it.The car park fight between the lairy builder and the traffic warden is one of the most touching things I've ever seen in comedy.I encountered the bad review when I was searching Amazon for news of a possible 2nd series [I live abroad half the year], so I'm somewhat distraught to find the BBC didn't commission one. Thanks for nothing.

5.0 out of 5 stars United..., 7 Mar 2010
Michael C. Hall (Perth, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bellamy's People [DVD] (DVD)
From the genius of Higson & Whitehouse et al. comes a brilliantly cleaver extension of the humour that made this collective famous. An evolution of the very crafty radio comedy Down The Line, Bellemay's People takes the transition to the visual medium effortlessly and in doing so brings their own sense of characterisation and social commentary into modern reference.

This group of people have always been able to create a character that is relevant and very funny - from conception to the very fine delivery (Whitehouse is arguably the best character actor around) the characters portrayed here are hysterical. The comedy genius is that they are so accurately devised to represent the cliché of the individual and are littered with traits that are instantly recognisable and honest - to the point where you probably know or have seen most of them in your daily life before.

Over the course of the series as the characters crystallise and develope within the show (and then again beyond that the more you watch it), the honesty of the characters lends itself a personal affiliation which is testament to the writing ability. You can quite easily love or loathe what the character is intrinsically about but it all happens under infectious and sustained laughter to the point where a little bit of wee will come out...

Diamond.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic moments - completely underrated series, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: Bellamy's People [DVD] (DVD)
The one-off series was made up of 7 episodes with snippets of interviews with recurring characters from around the UK...and Northern Ireland.

After buying this DVD and watching it a few times, particularly at some of the funnier moments, I realised how good Rhys Williams was as the straight man to all these comedy funny men - Paul Whitehouse, Felix Dexter, Charlie Higson etc. How he did not burst out laughing at them, I don't know. He probably did.

Most characters are great, only a few misses for me - although some people might find them funny. The jewel in the crown was played by the late, great Felix Dexter, RIP, as the singular, solider H'Early D, the self-styled Jamaican entrepreneur, who Bellamy offends...frequently. Julius O is really funny too (perpetual student who loves England) but tells Bellamy to shut up and stop talking nonsense. There are also other characters like Mike Hole - the English builder, Nicky Ambrose - the Australian who doesn't f***ing ponce around like the Brits (his words)etc etc.

Worth shelling out a fiver for. Some true genius moments ("in a da hurt").

5.0 out of 5 stars What is point?, 5 Jun 2013
This review is from: Bellamy's People [DVD] (DVD)
Genius, absolute genius. Everyone of the cast of this fantastic spoof have a depth of talent rarely seen in television comedy. And you know what? You will not find one of them on 'Live at the Apollo'. A series which has run to what? 15 or something stupid. But the BBC could not bring themselves to re commission this work of televisual art for a second series. As I once heard Neil Innes say, - "most of the worlds problems can be found to be down to one factor. Idiots in high places". Given the talents of the likes of Danny Baker, or Whitehouse/Higson, they are totally baffled and don't know what to do with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars get on this, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Bellamy's People [DVD] (DVD)
why why why did the bbc not commission a second season ill never know. Whithouse and Higgson at there best

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: Bellamy's People [DVD] (DVD)
I have been trying to remember the name of this series for a long time the sketches are a masterpiece of satire

5.0 out of 5 stars Overlooked Comedy Gem, 22 Jun 2012
T Thornton "chocky909" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bellamy's People [DVD] (DVD)
As a big fan of Down The Line, the spoof radio talk show with 'Gary Bellamy' as the DJ and Whitehouse, Higson et al as the various 'callers I was really looking forward to this TV spinoff. I was a little disappointed after the first episode as it just didn't make me laugh very often compared to the radio show. I beared with it and gradually found that it was very slight and observational with very few broad gags. Once you find the level of it's humour it becomes almost unbearably funny. Of course it's not going to appeal to everyone and some people may not see it as a comedy at all but then I hear that about This Is Spinal Tap too. Sometimes, mockumentaries are too subtle but this is well worth tuning into. BBC should be ashamed the way they have treated the makers of this show too, given that they had enough material for a second series and BBC just said no.

I'd recommend this DVD to anyone who likes their comedy, subtle, characterful and smart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost too good for the mainstream, 11 Jan 2012
James (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bellamy's People [DVD] (DVD)
Bellamy's People is the TV spin-off from the Radio 4 comedy show Down The Line. Both are written by Higson & Whitehouse who also created The Fast Show as well as many other cornerstones of British half-hour TV comedy. When Down The Line first appeared, Radio 4 didn't tell the unsuspecting listeners that their new half hour phone-in was completely fake and it caused a bit of an uproar. So much so that they had to fess up & admit it was all a bit of fun and for the good people of Tunbridge Wells to calm down. I thought Down The Line was brilliant - it repays repeated listening and I heartily recommend the CD's which are available on this good site. It sits with shows such as People Like Us which didn't really get a lot of exposure at the time, but which any connoisseur of comedy surely will have to hand on their iPod for an immediate mirth hit.
Bellamy's People takes the characters from Down The Line and gets DJ Gary Bellamy (played by the great Rhys Thomas) to interview them as a way of investigating the current psyche of the people of Britain. Much like Down The Line it repays repeated listening / viewing and so it's not always easy to get into it on the first go through. Personally I loved it and it's a great shame that the BBC decided it wasn't up to par. Our loss.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely awful, 28 Mar 2011
Mr. A. J. Tennant "Metalhead" (Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bellamy's People [DVD] (DVD)
I only saw the first episode of Bellamy's People and absolutely hated it. There was not one bit of the programme that I found funny at all, which I think is a shame because Paul Whitehouse and Charlie Higson are both very talented comedy actors and writers. The thing is, I never listened to the radio show Down the Line when it was around and, to be honest, I don't think I would have liked that either. I'm glad that the BBC decided not to commission a second series of this awful sitcom, and because of this I would not recommend Bellamy's People to anybody at all.

ARRAY(0xadec0798)

Bellamy's People [DVD]
Bellamy's People [DVD] by Charlie Higson (DVD - 2011)
7.26