4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely an opera star
Mexican born (1972) Rolando Villazon's career has been simmering since 1999 after his award winning performance at the Operalia International competition in Puerto Rico. Since then he has established himself in the opera world as a leading tenor having performed in numerous performances worldwide.

But it was not until the 2010 ITV1 television show Popstar to...
Published on 9 Feb 2010 by Mart

3.0 out of 5 stars Rolando Villazon
I very much enjoyed the CD, but I would have liked to have heard more arias. I would certainly recommend it.
Published on 6 April 2010 by Book Worm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely an opera star, 9 Feb 2010
Mart (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tenor (Audio CD)

But it was not until the 2010 ITV1 television show Popstar to Operastar that he has found widespread recognition, helped in no small way by his slightly flamboyant and eccentric antics as one of the judges on the show.

Viewers of the show will wonder what this album content is, and although to non opera fans the track list may be unfamiliar, much of the music will be instantly recognisable. It's a mixture of familiar favourites with a few lesser known works thrown in. I think it works very well, particularly the duets with Russian soprano Anna Netrebko.

Of the 15 tracks, 8 have been previously available and the other 7 were recorded in December 2009 after his surgery for throat problems. A little repetition for existing fans maybe, but that's offset by a chance to hear that the post op voice still works. But the real intention of this album, released at the half way stage of the TV show, is to capture a wider audience from outside the traditional opera fan base.

I'm all for broadening one's appreciation of music, and while I agree with Villazon's claim that `anyone can sing opera', I think I'd be polite in saying that the TV show reveals some can sing it a little better than others.

A great album which serves as a perfect introduction to Villazon and should not disappoint viewers (myself included) of the TV show

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tenor Voice of Great Charm, 11 Feb 2010
This review is from: Tenor (Audio CD)
I have everything Rolando Villazon has recorded on CD and DVD except for a Spanish CD of the opera 'Romeo and Juliet' which I have yet to track down! I am delighted with Rolando Villazon's new CD 'Tenor', what a relief to hear him singing again live on TV and on this CD. Of all male voices the tenor commands the most respect and is the most in demand for it's special ability to maintain high notes and immediate charm. Lots of Rolando's charm is in evidence here in this showcase compilation. It is a treat to hear him singing Musical Theatre in English as he often does in concert (such as in the 'Berlin Concert' available on DVD). The 'Impossible Dream' holds great meaning for him, in a recent article he said he has seen the film and stage show countless times and hopes to play the role one day. One of my favourite arias is that of the young man in love, Nemorino, from 'L'Elisir D'Amore' Una Furtiva Lagrima "What more do I need? She loves me, yes I see she loves me". This aria requires sincerity and the inner fire of an inspired singer which Rolando undoubtedly is.
(The explanatory notes on each piece are good but previous DG recordings have provided translations to the arias and I always appreciate this very much.)

5.0 out of 5 stars A compilation for Everyone!, 19 Feb 2010
C. A. Stott ""opera lover"" (South Australia, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tenor (Audio CD)
I have almost all of Rolando's Cds and DVDS and I have been waiting for this Cd ever since I knew of it's inception and I am delighted with it. Firstly of course to know that Rolando is singing as beautifully as ever and secondly because he has included three songs from musicals sung in English as well as the well loved classics. This is an album for everyone who loves beautiful music whether a died in the wool opera lover or someone who just enjoys beautiful singing, and who better than Rolando to demonstrate the varied colours and emotions required by the diversity of choice on this album. It has been played repeatedly since I received it, and each time I hear something I have missed before....buy it! You will definitely enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Brilliance, 9 Feb 2010
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tenor (Audio CD)
Rolando Villazon, the Mexican tenor is considered the best of his generation and after winning the Zarzuela Prize and Audience Prize in Placido Domingo's Operalia competition in 1999 instantly became an international hot property in the opera world. Currently he is a judge on ITV's 'Popstar to Operastar' as he has put his career on hold after undergoing throat surgery. It is good to have a new album from this charismatic great singer.

Here you have fifteen great songs, twelve from classical operas and the other three from musicals. All in all this is a great album that you can relax to at any time, and I must admit that if you are like me you will want to sing along to some of these. Before you ask I can't help myself when 'O sole mio' and 'O soave faniculla' are sung, much to everybody else's embarrassment; they all seem to disappear and deny any knowledge of me.

Villazon always manages to put such passion into his singing and with his distinctive voice this is a pure pleasure to listen to. In the jacket booklet there is something about all the songs so that if you don't know the operas you can read this and understand the song and put it in context.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chukka, Chukka, Chukka!, 10 Feb 2010
This review is from: Tenor (Audio CD)
Until I watched Pop Star to Opera Star I had no idea who Rolando Villazon was. I was completely blown away after I heard him sing on the show and immediately searched Amazon for his new CD. This man sings amazingly. He sings with the whole of his being and is totally believable when he says he tries to sing as if it was the most important performance of his life. There are some favourites on this CD, the ubiquitous O sole mio and La donne e mobile for example, but also some that were not familiar to me. I would usually buy a CD of a good soprano so it was a surprise to me that I chose this. I don't think you will be disappointed. This man has presence and power in the beautiful tone of his voice. I hope you enjoy the CD as much as I do. As Rolando would say (I have probably mis-spelled this) another Chukka, chukka chukka performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars my best buy of 2010, 8 Mar 2010
Carol-ann Jones "Mrs kate santos" (cannock, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tenor (Audio CD)
I am a new opera fan, and bought this for my birthday and i was not disappointed.

its a good price well packaged.

the cd contains some of my favourite arias, by the best tenor in the world in my opinion.

ideal present for the wife, or mothers day.
i would have loved this as a valentines present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tenor, 15 Mar 2010
Gerda Eeckelaert "GE" (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tenor (Audio CD)
Musical and some of the "lighter" arias by one of the top tenors of our time. Lost count of the times I listened to this CD already. Beautiful! A must-have for every Villazon-fan and for everyone with a taste for opera and musical. Don't question or hesitate, just buy it and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Rolando!, 4 Mar 2010
This review is from: Tenor (Audio CD)
Rolando is abolutely brilliant on this CD, every song beautifully sang and orchestrated, and a pleasure to listen too! Having watched La Boheme at xmas, and seeing him on ITV recently only re-iterated how talented he is and how this Cd is a must for his fans. Wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars tenor, 23 Feb 2010
Psakers - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tenor (Audio CD)
Never had any albums by this artist,but now own 3,and they are all fabulous,the new album TENOR,is stunning.

4.0 out of 5 stars roland villazon cd, 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: Tenor (Audio CD)
how could one not like this man's lovely voice, bought it a while ago so hope he is still popular

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›