5.0 out of 5 stars LG Bluray review
Only had this drive a week. Fitted no problem Windows 7 found it straight away. I have copied a few of my bluray discs using DVDFab 8 and so far have had no problems. Great service from Amazon as usual and a good price...Highly recommended.......
Published on 18 Sept. 2010 by Big D

3.0 out of 5 stars Avoid the Bloatware
This disc writer seems to work very well and is well made. It also looks good in the front of the PC, which is important to some people.

Unfortunately there are some negative points, mainly to do with the included software:

Published on 16 Jan. 2012 by CR

5.0 out of 5 stars LG Bluray review, 18 Sept. 2010
This review is from: LG BH10LS38 .AUAR10B 10x Internal Blu-Ray BDRW Retail Kit (Accessory)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Hardware, ignore the software, 12 Oct. 2010
I found the drive simple to install and very easy to use. I had read bad reviews of the software so I've by-passed it and after a little research I've settled on IMGBURN for burning purposes and DVDFAB 8 for creating backups.

I've been impressed with the burning speed, using 4X Infiniti BDR's I've regularly got speeds building up to 8X despite the labelling. The disks I've created have been crystal clear in quality I've yet to see any screen artifacts or any noticible degradation of picture quality when shrinking from a BD50, mainly as I'll forego the extras and just backup the main movie.

The price really swung it though, for under £90 this is an absolute bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars LG BH10LS30.AUAR10B 10x Internal Blu-Ray BDRW Retail Kit, 13 July 2011
This unit is an absolute bargain. It comes with all the software you need, a BD disc, cable and fixing kit. Once installed the firmware upgrades automatically from the software on the disc.
I purchased the upgrade for the bundled cyberlink software (from version 9 to version 11)which was a lot better and had better features. The picture was superb playing back blu-ray discs. I have been using verbatim and sony blu-ray discs with no problems.
With my discount vouchers I got this for just under 45 pounds and is a worthy addition to the hardware installed in my self build computer.
So far I can't find anything bad to say about this unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good'n Blu, 3 Jun. 2011
R. Brown (Cleveland UK) - See all my reviews
I mainly bought the LG BH10LS30 for burning Large amount of Photographic images , I use a High End DSLR that gives Tiff of around 120 Mb each, so you can appreciate that including saving the RAW images you don't get many to a DVD disc, Hence using Blu-ray, I have thrown good, bad and indifferent discs at this burner and no failures as yet usually burning a 4X Blu-Ray disk at 8x,letting the software determine the speed (Nero 9) the unit is exceptionally quiet in operation and does what it should do, as yet not a glitch - I did not install any software that come with the package, as on seeing what was in store I already had far better on my PC (win7 - 32bit), the only thing I could possibly dislike about the Burner is the glossy front panel, as the rest of my PC is Matt, but that would be nit-picking, overall one super Drive for the money, I thoroughly recommend this unit as a winner - installation is easy, as with any optical drive. A Big Big 5 Stars. Just remember Blu-Ray isn't just for producing HD Movies

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good and silent, 4 Dec. 2010
this writer is just brilliant, when writing and reading it remains quiet. this particular one comes with a 25GB blu ray disc with burning tools [cyberlink] and has an entire suite of tools [cyberlink products] truely value for money

4.0 out of 5 stars Good drive,poor software package, 30 Aug. 2010
Mr. G. Andreoni (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Great drive, I really have no bad things to say about it. It does everything you expect it to, and does it well. The only downside is with the software package: PowerDVD 8 appears to be completely obsolete and I could not play any of the blu ray disks I own, and the rest is bloatware.

In short, good drive, but don't buy it for it's software package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems like excellent value., 26 Oct. 2011
I bought this item about 2 weeks ago because I wanted to archive a large number of photos and films and the number of DVDs I was using was getting to be a problem, storage wise.

The drive arrived very quickly and was as easy to install as any other re-writer but as others have commented I would have preferred a matt black front rather than the slightly glossy look it has but I suppose that's splitting hairs a bit.

The only other point is that the tray feels slightly more fragile than the trays on similar products but again splitting hairs.

The first problem I hit was that my PC, running XP Pro didn't see it, but that was fixed by running the installed software.

It burnt easily to a couple of DVD blanks I had so I then rented a couple of Blu-Ray discs from the local library.

When I inserted them though PowerDVD 9 came up and started to load them but stopped half way through and a message came up that my Video card wasn't up to the job of playing them!

Which was fair enough as it is an old card but then that's when I hit a major snag - XP Pro on its own didn't see the blu-ray discs at all!

It took me a few hours hunting on the Internet to discover that I needed a special driver so that XP Pro could recognize the UDF file system on the Blu-Ray discs.

Once that was installed then everything ran perfectly - but it's a pity that the software disc didn't install this driver itself.

Apart from those glitches the product is great - I can burn (4x) at a rate of 1gig a minute using the supplied software which means that 4x on this writer is equivalent t0 approx 12-16x on a DVD burner.

It also gave me the option of burning the 2-6x Verbatim disc that came with the writer at 10x speed but I always prefer to be conservative when burning discs.

All in all a very good product which I hope will outlast the warranty period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the business, 25 April 2011
Playback and recording of both 25GB and 50GB Blu-Ray discs work well.
No problems with any CD, DVD or Blu-Ray media so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Avoid the Bloatware, 16 Jan. 2012
CR (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews

The software included with the disc writer is awful. Cyberlink Power2Go has caused me numerous problems since I installed it, culminating in me having to physically unplug the SATA cable from the disc drive in order to get the disc to eject from the writer. It seemed like the software wrote the disc but didn't finalise it properly, causing the PC to basically crash and stop recognizing the drive at boot up every time I put the disc in. I've also only had a 50% success rate with Blu Ray disc writing, regardless of the writing speed, leaving me with lots of blue coasters.

I've now uninstalled the Cyberlink software and used some freeware (Burnaware Free, I have heard IMGBURN is good too) which has caused me no problems or coasters so far, is easier to use and writes discs quicker than the Cyberlink version.

The other issue is with the drive manufacturer LG. I went on their site to see if I could get a new version of the driver, but they don't even list this model on the website. It appears that they only offer product support for a limited number of their Blu-Ray disc drives so it's a bit of a poor show on their part and not what I would expect from a reputable brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Drive and Software will play BD Movies, 6 Sept. 2011
Drive is great and recognised by Windows 7 64bit straight away. Install drive and then install software bundle.

Software bundle is okay even though its outdated - But PowerDVD 8 will still play BD movies and no need to purchase upgrade or any other software!

After install let the drive software update the firmware and then the PowerDVD update too.

PowerDVD still fails to play BD but this is due to Windows not Cyberlink.

You will need to download an update to allow Windows or more specifically Windows Media Player to play protected content. Once downloaded PowerDVD should then be able to play BD movies.

Currently I am watching Transformers BD on my other screen with PowerDVD 8 with no issues - pause/rewind etc etc!

Note - Most BDs come with a downloadable content disk. To use this disk you need to download the Windows Media Player copyright protection update which is automated - But this didnt work for me! Instead get Media player to open the file direct from disk and hey presto Media Player automatically updates itself allowing PowerDVD 8 to play BD movies too!

Hopefully this will help you and save you a few ££

(You still need compatible hardware to cope with playing BD movies)