4.0 out of 5 stars An absolute bargin and highly recommended.
Published on 2 Sept. 2010 by Sleeping-Figure

1.0 out of 5 stars Great value at the reduced price: SERIOUS DOWNGRADE
My original review was 5 stars, and is below. I liked these so much when I bought them that I immediately got a second pair.
Published on 7 May 2011 by DavidM

4.0 out of 5 stars An absolute bargin and highly recommended., 2 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Hi Tec V-lite Altitude Ultra Luxe Wpi, Men's Multisport Outdoor Shoes (Apparel)
My last pair of boots were some reasonably expensive Lafuma gortexy boots, which I loved and abused. They weren't particulary waterproof but very comfortable. But, they finally gave up a few weeks ago in the peak district, so I need a new pair of boots quickly for another adventure last weekend. Browsing the net these looked to be the best value, and well rated in forums. So I took a chance.
These boots are great. I've been very impressed with the grippy soles, and the weather of Scotland didn't get in at all. After showing the insoles who's boss they were really comfortable and my feet felt great after a heavy going 6hr hike in the Highlands. And with a pot of boot wax handy they should last a while too.
An absolute bargin and highly recommended.
I think the only slight downside is the ankle support, which could be a bit lacking for some people. I found it was enough, but for others it might be a bit low. You could call it a high-mid boot I think.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs Up, 20 Nov. 2010
S. Wilkes - See all my reviews
I have had these boots for a few weeks and wear them daily. I have found the boot to be comfortable both on paved and soft paths, the grip they give over muddy or grassed surfaces is very good but when very new they are slippery when walking over rocks though after a few weeks of wearing the soles seam to have worn in to a point that the level of grip has improved, just be careful.

To maintain the waterproofing the boot must be kept clean, so after use clean as per instructions, else you will find that when mud has dried on the boot they can let a small ammount of water in, once cleaned the waterproof technology works as when new.

So far I have walked around 70 miles in these boots and have notice no significate wear in the sole or problems with the construction of the boot. These boots are an improvement over the Berghaus boots they replaced which I found wore very quickly. These feel like far more expensive boots than the price they are currently being sold at and they are value for money.

In conclusion I would recommend these to the average walker even those that would normally not consider Hi-Tec as a manufacturer to supply their footwear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dry boots, 16 July 2010
Claptout (Shetland, U.K.) - See all my reviews
Out yesterday in the wet grass, waterlogged tracks and sodden boggy peat. The ground couldn't have been wetter! No sign of any water ingress - might as well have been wearing wellies. No sign of sweaty feet either. I've added a felt insole (under the original) for extra comfort and generally use standard gaiters or over-trousers. I took them out in similar wet conditions about a month ago and didn't have to clean, polish or proof them before going out yesterday. A comfortable fitting boot, I would recommend them for someone wanting a medium weight boot for all year round use. Though, if you want a boot with even a stiffish shank, look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Aug. 2012
R. Willcocks (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
I bought these to replace my previous version of beloved VLites that I had for about 7 years and virtually lived in all year round (cool in the summer, warm and dry in the winter). These new ones are equally brilliant performance wise, straight out of the box comfort and no blisters, very light as you'd expect and fit perfectly, and the water-tightness was tested at a very wet and muddy festival in July where they were caked to the top in wet mud for several hours and stayed 100% watertight - even without the required cleaning to protect the waterproof coating. The Vikram soles are nice and grippy and flexible and provide good underfoot cushioning, which has proved invaluable when having to stand up on the train journey home for an hour. Overall a complete winner, no niggles or complaints so far and they remain my most reliable item of clothing (other than my Superman pants). Nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boots, 22 Feb. 2012
These were bought in haste, as my previous 'long-lived' boots disintegrated suddenly and I had a walking weekend planned. I bought size 9 (normally UK 8.5 in shoes) ,wore appropriate socks and did 8 miles on them immediately out of the box. Dry feet and only 'new-shoe' issues.

Now they are worn in, I wear them almost daily and they are perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so forgiving as the original V-Lites, 19 Nov. 2010
Having had a pair of the original V-lite series, I knew I'd be getting a decent boot.
These boots are great. Nice and light but relatively sturdy, and so far utterly impervious to the worst excesses of the English autumn weather.

However given my favourable experience with a previous edition of V-lite, I was mistakenly confident about how comfortable they would be. I know all boots need 'breaking-in' which can be uncomfortable, but my previous V-lites were good as gold from the first step until they fell off my feet two years and about two thousand miles later. Not even a blister. So, out I strode with a big happy smile on my face. Three miles later, not so happy with a hole worn through to the achiles tendon on both ankles.

My mistake I know, but be warned: The ankle support on these is quite unforgiving.
I presume, hope that it will improve with wear.
Other than that, a great boot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great value at the reduced price: SERIOUS DOWNGRADE, 7 May 2011
Having an old pair to fully wear out, these did not get much use till recently. They are incredibly badly glued - I suspect they are seconds? The first pair leaks like a seive in even medium grass after 20 minutes, and the second pair would seem to be badly glued in the same way. Shockingly bad and a major dissapointment after initial impression.

These are classy boots. I have wide feet and have mostly found Hi Tec reliable over the years for good boots at a reasonable price. These are a step up in quality - so good I am ordering a second pair to put away.. They are 'warm' boots in that I don't think they breathe much, but if that does not bother you then you won't be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars fatally flawed ...... for me..... so far, 10 Jan. 2012
i have owned these for 5 months now and 1 boot has so far failed to wear in. at first i they both dug in where the boot bends at the base of the toe; that now is almost ok. the right boot rubs against my achiles tendon, giving me pain and a blister after about 2 hours wear. then i cannot wear them again until the blister has healed. a shame, as otherwise the boots are lightweight, smart and seem well constructed. i will persevere, for now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 25 April 2011
My wife and I both have these boots and after passing the 1000 mile mark in them, I feel I can leave a proper review. We've had them through everything, including deep snow, wet grass, peat bogs, up fells and down dales. They get regular cleaning and waxing and have never leaked once. They are extremely comfortable and when they do wear out, I would happily buy them again. No, I don't work for Hitec, I'm just very happy with the product. Outstanding boots.

2.0 out of 5 stars Leaks, falls apart and only comfortable after a year of use., 22 Dec. 2011
Bought on impulse after my beloved Brashers finally gave up the ghost, I thought that I was getting a product of similar quality - how wrong I was! I wear my boots every day in all weathers to walk my dog or for longer recreational rambles at the weekend and, though I rarely tackle anything more challenging than a steep hillside, I need my boots to be comfortable and dry in all weathers. My Brashers met this criteria admirably - the only negatives being soft leather, soft soles and Gore Tex induced hot foot in summer!

The Hi Tecs seemed more rugged and did away with the Gore Tex in favour of the WPi system so should have run cooler - and yes they did but only because wet feet are cold feet!My first pair leaked within weeks around the tongue stitching and the second, replacement pair after about six months which leads me to believe that the WPi simply does not work. I now have to use waterproofing wax regularly if the weather is wet, a course recommended rather sheepishly by the retailer who sold me them.

My second big gripe is the stiffness of the tongue and therefore the comfort of the whole boot. For the first year of ownership, it seemed like the tongue was made of plastic, so rigid and inflexible it felt. On previous owned boots, I was used to the tongue folding in and drawing the boot close to the boot when laced; with the Hi Tecs I had to fold and coax the tongue as I laced the boot. Eventually, the tongue softened and folded naturally and now the boots are very comfortable - however the welts on the toe on one boot are now unpeeling and pulling away which looks ugly and cannot help the waterproofing. Whilst I'm on the negatives, the lace cleats are rather crude and sharp and eat laces.

On the plus side, the leather - now it has moulded finally to my feet - is hard wearing and scratch and scuff resistant and the vibram soles do their job well and have loads of life left in them ; however I am now looking for another pair of boots and needless to say they won't be Hi-ecs (though I see the Hi Tec-Scafell with Gore Tex lining and a £40 cost is well thought of - go for these if you want a good budget boot).

I spent £100 quid on these and have had 18 months of unsatisfactory wear from them. Value for money? I don't think so.