5.0 out of 5 stars Supercharge Pro, 10 Aug 2011
This review is from: Supercharger Pro Solar (Electronics)
I purchased this as an addition to my Freeloader Pro. At the time I didn't know that they had altered the design of the Freeloader, so assumed that the supercharger would arrive and just work right out of the box. However, it turns out there are two versions of the Freeloader Pro. People with the later model don't have to do anything, for those with the earlier edition it will need to be sent to the manufacturer for modification. This took a couple of weeks, but it was a painless and easy process. It took a couple of weeks for the upgrade to be done, and I received a completely refurbished Freeloader Pro, the new model. So, it's like a complete reset on the battery life.

As with new devices, I plugged it into the mains using a USB charger, and allowed the device to fully charge. This didn't take long as there was already 1/2 a charge in the battery. It was then used to charge a Blackberry (managed a 75% charge before giving up). I then put the Freeloader into the Supercharger Pro, hung it out of the window. At the moment it has been on charge for about 1 hour. At the moment there is 1 segment that lights up indicating between 10 and 25% charge. It is an overcast and rainy day so I'm not expecting a super fast charge rate. Also the green charging light on the Supercharge Pro isn't lit, indicating that it is not charging at full power. The Red charging indicator was lit when I didn't have the Supercharger plugged in, so I know that I am getting some power.

The case of the Supercharge Pro appears to be well made, it looks like a good quality map case, and looks like it will take a certain amount of typical outdoor punishment. The Freeloader slips into the case tightly, and the top panel has a support built right into the Supercharger's case.

There is a long Velcro strip on one side, and two plastic clips on elastic on the other. These offer two different and complimentary ways to attach the product to a wide range of bags. I have manged to figure out a way of attaching it to my laptop backpack (Swissgear GA-7316-06F00 Ibex 17 Inch Laptop Backpack) using both the Velcro and the clips. it will flap around on with my setup, but it is as secure as it could possibly be.

The solar panels in the Supercharger Pro are in the form of a single large board that does not flex, for this reason I would not recommend sitting on it, or anything like that. Although, I'm sure that this won't be a problem in real world use. After all, how many people sit on their backpacks?

I haven't weight the device myself, the specs say that the Freeloader Pro is 170g and the Supercharge Pro is 249g. That makes a total weight of about 419g. Plus the power cable and tips, lets say an even 500g total weight. I'm sure that for people who need power in the wilds. This is not a weight that will be significant to worry about, but it may have to be taken into consideration.

I am happy with my first impression to recommend the Supercharge Pro, and for that matter the Freeloader Pro as well. The idea of attaching the Freeloader to a cycle pannier or back pack, allowing it to charge whilst you go about your day. Then charging up your phone, and putting it on your back ready for an evening charge. Just make so much sense.

Friends have comment that it would be great to take to festivals, again attached to a backpack so that it doesn't get stolen will solve the eternal problems of powering that iPhone/Android/etc at Glastonbury or wherever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective, just the Job!, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: Supercharger Pro Solar (Electronics)
This thing is great! It speeds up the charging time of my freeloader pro considerably, and is very lightweight.

It's also weather resistant, and clips onto my backpack perfectly. Even goes onto my bike panniers.

Note: obviously this thing works better in the South of France than in South-East Essex, but it's doing alright here too!

ARRAY(0xa2b16150)