5.0 out of 5 stars Why It May Not Work For Everyone
If you notice from the reviews, this product hasn't worked for a fair number of people who have tried it. I think I can explain why. There's generally four basic problems people have with their Achilles tendon:

-paratenonitis: this is where the covering of the Achilles tendon becomes irritated
-tendinosis: this where the actual tendon substance itself has...
Published 20 months ago by Marathonman

1.0 out of 5 stars Actually made my achilles tendonitis worse..
Published on 16 Aug 2011 by DeWolf

5.0 out of 5 stars Why It May Not Work For Everyone, 22 Aug 2012
This review is from: Mcdavid Achilles Tendon Support (Sports)

-tendinosis: this where the actual tendon substance itself has a failed healing process going on because it's been overworked
-a partial tear: this is when you've torn the Achilles tendon partially
-a complete tear: this is where the Achilles is completely ripped apart

Out of the above four, one of the most common problems is Achilles tendinosis. This brace won't help with that problem, because the issue is that the tendon substance itself has a failed healing process going on - and slapping a brace around it does little to take the stress off the tendon to help it heal. This is because the tendon slides up and down, and this brace can't prevent that motion from happening. This good news, however, is that this problem can be fixed with certain exercises that can jump start the healing process (suggest checking out books like Treat Your Own Achilles Tendinitis for more on that).

Now the other most common type of problem people have with their Achilles is paratenonitis - which is just an inflammation of the sheath around the actual Achilles tendon. That's a less severe problem, and for that, this brace can help. And this all explains why not al the reviewers here have been significantly helped by this brace, while others are completely cured.

It's really a good product for some Achilles problems, and if you're not sure what you've got, it's not a very expensive gamble to try!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price, quick delivery and better than expected!, 21 Mar 2011
I bought both the Mueller Cho-Pat Achilles tendon strap and the Mcdavid Achilles Tendon. This puts me in a fairly unique position - I can compare and review both.

Why buy both? I really did need support for my achilles tendon or else give up football - I had to try both.

Both products do the job and both fit with a football boot with comfort. It is too early to decide which one is best at the job but at this moment I would go with the Mcdavid for the following reasons:

- the Mcdavid is made of flexible neoprene. This allows you to control the amount of pressure on the tendon.
- the product is better than described because it has two rubber sections on the heal section applying the pressure. The Cho-Pat uses constant pressure with little give. This constant pressure may in the end be better for the job in hand but for now I will go with the Mcdavid.
- much cheaper - but not so important - got to do a a job

In terms of fitting, both products are identical in size (size L). Both are ever so slightly big for me but this was better than them being too small. I add a little neoprene from an old support to the front of them and they fit perfectly with comfort. My shoe size is 8.5uk and would consider myself a medium build (small ankles)- 11-12 stone is my ideal weight. This will give you an indication as to what to go for.

I will update this review on both products.

14/3/2013 Update - forgot about coming back to update review.

Back playing football with no issues with tendons. No longer use them. A break in the football did help as well as ice packs being applied to tendons. Have also increased height inside the shoes under the heal - raising the heal to decrease pressure on tendon.

I ended up using both, for both legs, for a period which allowed me to get some fitness. Getting fit seems to have prevented the return of the soreness

5.0 out of 5 stars Performs to perfection., 14 May 2011
This review is from: Mcdavid Achilles Tendon Support (Sports)
After suffering from Achilles Tendinitis for 16 months and being able to exercise fast going out of the window, I decided to purchase this tendon support. I've been wearing it when exercising for a month now and am able to run and jump like I did pre A/T. A good pair of well cushioned New Balance trainers have helped too. The Achilles support isn't uncomfortable to wear, even for long periods. I wasn't sure what size to buy, so opted for the medium. The support did come up a little big but I just flipped the under strap around the ankle strap once to shorten then secured and its a perfect fit. I'm a female with an ankle size measuring 8.5 inches when measured just slightly above the ankle nodule, this is where the strap will sit.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good product, 9 Nov 2009
My sister had been having a lot of pain in her achilles tendon, and was adviced to get a support for it by her doctor, Having seen the item advertised, I purchased it on her behalf, and the difference it made to her walking and pain relief was very noticable, therefore I have only the highest praise for this item and would recommend it to anyone suffering the same complain. Mr M J Cobbold

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 15 Nov 2010
Jilly (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
I have problems with my tendons and in the past it meant I couldn't do any 'jumping' exercises but when I use the tendon support I can carry on as normal. When my tendons are very bad I wear it all the time. I like it so much I have just bought another one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, 7 Jun 2010
Mrs. Rebecca Holland (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great product, and has really helped to improve my achilles having recently been diagnosed with tendonitis. It's now much less painful, even though I'm still at the gym just as much as always! I went for the size L/XL despite being a petite size 8-10 (with big size 8 feet!) and it is a good fit - I'd definitely recommend you buy a larger size than you might do normally. Wash care instructions say to hand wash, but I've had no problems washing it in the machine at 40 degrees. Great product - if you're having achilles problems I'd definitely recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars What a relief!, 4 Oct 2011
M. S. Booth (Southern England) - See all my reviews
Once I'd worked out which way round it should be worn (very obvious, now I come to think of it), I put it on the offending ankle and sighed with relief! I can cope without the tendon support, but life is so much more comfortable with it on.
A very clever idea. Thank you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Actually made my achilles tendonitis worse.., 16 Aug 2011
I have achilles tendonitis from an injury I sustained while fencing; pain and stiffness in the achilles tendon in the morning which lessens during the day. I was hoping that this support would help me to resume activities such as fencing and cycling and support the tendon enough to allow it to heal. I ordered the L/XL size after reading most of the reviews here saying that it was on the small size and I'm a size 8/42. Trying it on, it fit pretty well and I would say its on the loose rather than tight size, but still snug enough. I thought I'd take it for a test drive and went out for a 40 minute walk to see how good it was. Before this I had taken off two weeks from activities and was just relaxing my tendon and doing light stretching exercises and icing to promote healing, which it seemed to be doing with lessening pain day after day. During the walk the support felt restrictive and tight, even though i could easily slip two fingers through the ankle strap. I guess my tendon when strained is just sensitive. After coming home and taking it off I felt that my tendon was in more pain and more sensitive. The following morning my tendon felt worse and I was in more pain than usual. I didn't wear it again and returned it. My tendon is now healing slowly following my usual routine of light stretches, icing and I've worked my way up to light sessions on the exercise bike pain free. But the tendon support definately did not help and made it worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this product!!!, 4 Sep 2010
I bought the tendon support in desperation after suffering from achilles tendonitis. After reaching 40 I thought the time had come to get fit and bought the usual exercise videos but after doing aerobics a few times I had lots of pain in my heel, I tried loads of gadgets and tablets etc to help but nothing worked until I tried this. It doesnt completly get rid of the pain but it does mean I can exercise and it does help with the pain you get first thing in the morning. I wear it whenever I can and I usually forget I have it on. I would recommend this product 100%.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe the difference!, 13 Jun 2011
I have had a problem with both achilles for about a year and a half now and have been using "normal" ankle supports to offer some support. Saw these and thought I'd give them a go. Didn't realise the tubing at the back would make such a difference! When I first tried it on it took a little adjustment and felt weird, what with the tubular buttress on the achilles area and initially thought I'd have to send them back. Well after 5 minutes I was noticing a reduction in soreness. I saw these on another website where the mechanics of the tubing at the rear was explained by likening the achilles to a guitar string that is constantly being "twanged" under force. The pressure and tubing is similar to holding your finger on the string but not too firmly. I don't work for the company and have nothing to gain. Just know what a pain it is to suffer with tendonitis and hope others may find some relief. I have also bought the book Achilles Healing: Achilles Tendinitis Relief and Prevention in 4 Easy Phases and this seems to be working, as I feel it's important to attack it from different angles. (Also, I'm a size 9 and bought the L/XL).

ARRAY(0xb4beccf0)