Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 October 2013
The CD is great and really good value. However, it arrived in a smashed case, probably due to being packed up with two other items in a cardboard case that was too small for it. Amazon are usually great at packing, so was slightly puzzled as to why they tried to fit so much in? This review would have had five stars if it wasn't for the badly cracked CD case.
on 3 January 2013
This is a concept album that tells a story as it goes with each song being a different episode in the life of Strickland Banks. Because of this it is hard to turn off and skip through the tracks. It sounds best played from stat to finish.
on 28 August 2013
Absolutely love this CD. There is not one single track that I don't enjoy listening to. It is a really powerful CD. I just have to get up and dance/leap around the room whenever I put it on. Definitely the best CD I've bought in the last couple of years.
on 11 October 2010
I searched for this CD following hearing the track 'Prayin' on the radio. I was hugely impressed by this number but had no idea who the performer was. After having finally discovered the identity of the artist, I did some further research on YouTube. I cannot fully express how good I think this body of work is. It is so refreshing that in this age of manufactured, conveyor-belt, processed pulp, to find that there is a young performer who is offering fresh, thoughtful music. I admit that I am no rap fan, but the quality of the tracks on this CD completely eradicated my fears.
I cannot praise this CD highly enough, every track is high quality and I would urge anyone who may be dithering over this CD to make the leap and invest in it - it will not disappoint!
on 25 September 2011
It was common in the seventies to write thematic rock operas. They were always overblown and pompous. This is an opera of sorts but in a very modern idiom. There is a strong theme running through the music and Ben Drew is a revelation.
Very listenable.
on 3 September 2011
So cheap, for such a talented artist, great songs i've never heard before, some are calm, some are lively, unlike other CD's, i don't get bored of his voice after a few songs.
Highly recommend buying this
on 18 August 2012
been a fan of plan B for ages noticed this cd had great reviews when browsing through amazons bargain cds so decided to buy it .i have not been disapointed would be hard to choose a favorite track love them all.
on 15 May 2010
I recently purchased this album as a present for my girlfriend as she was a fan of the first two singles.

I had never been a fan of Plan B and after being cajoled into listening to the album I was convinced that my opinion would not change. However, upon listening to the album I was surprised to see that Plan B had written and recorded one of the best British soul albums in recent memory.

Even if you're not sure about Plan B or never liked him before this is well worth a listen. A refined, well-written and emotive piece of work.
on 18 August 2010
To say Ben Drew has gone through an incredible transformation is now almost a cliche, but in simple English there are no other words to explain it. From his debut `Who Needs Actions, When You Got Words' back in 2006, we've gone from the angry, young londoner to a modern, spotless reenactment of one of the biggest musical movements in history.

Concept albums are hard to come by in the world of pop, Mike Skinner only being the notable artist in hip-hop to achieve that, with good effect in `A Grand Don't Come For Free' and whilst the tales of Strickland Banks aren't quite as lyrically moving and mind-blowing, the journey is still a joy to listen to. Following a love-struck fictional man, who ends up in prison has never been so fun and toe-tappingly good.

In his most sucessful release of the album thus far `She Said' captures the pleading of Strickland in a court case, the sound track to that so warmful with the blowing of sax and ever-so-light strings. Prior to that, his next single release `Stay Too Long', upbeat as far as the album is concerned, is a step on from the opening singles `Love Goes Down' and `Writing's on the Wall', almost Lionel Ritchie-esque. To mention these songs in the same breath as such an artist, really is a tribute to Plan B.

It doesn't stop there, further displaying is magical ability to sing as well as spitfire harsh lyrics. `The Recluse' without a doubt, is the absolute pinnacle of his work, instantly launching us into the song title and mesmorising violins. The third single release of the album `Prayin' is another example of his soulful works, eclipsing other attempts to capture the sound of the 60's, from artists `Duffy' and `VV Brown'. If you hadn't felt the northern soul influences yet, then `Free' will timewarp you into the Wigan Casino without a doubt, in an almost impossible-not-to-dance record, tinted with a subtle vinyl crackle for effect.

This album, if anything really begs the question - is there a genre of music this boy can't touch and master? Thus far, the answer is no. A truly incredible piece of modern artwork.
on 24 July 2012
I bought this as I love the singles and saw them in concert with the other tracks from the album so wanted to listen to the story unfold over the album. It's decent listening but not the kinds of CD I'd be able to listen to over and over many times. Also a bit disappointed that the lyrics weren't on the sleevenotes as that's part of the satisfaction of buying a CD album with original tracks by the artist.