4.0 out of 5 stars how to train your dragon
This was a very good film. And if I sound surprised, it's because I am. I can't say I heard much about it when it was released at the cinema or afterwards on its DVD release and I mistakenly put that down to it being a very average film in a market with an over-abundance of very average films. Plus, whisper it, Pixar do tend to have the upper hand on Dreamworks. Oh, how...
Published on 18 Feb 2012 by Ali

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent film.
While not being a classic, this is still an enjoyable animated comedy. It's amusing and a good diversion for an hour and a half but that's all. Good flying sequences too and the animation's pretty good with a decent voice cast, but can't think why the adult vikings all have scottish accents while the teenagers all sound like californian surfers!
Published on 22 Nov 2010 by Mr. R. W. Graham

‹ Previous | 1 2 361 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown Out by 3D..Didn't expect this Great!!!, 25 May 2012
I am a 3D lover and I do a lot of research and watch every review before buying a 3D Blu-ray. I own almost every Excellent 3D Blu-ray out there (Almost 31 Movies). This movie is one of my Favorites (2D), But after reading most reviews for 3D and seen some just a bit lower ratings, I didn't try this Disc for many months and I was in a dilemma whether to buy this or Not . But now my choice is right, I can say This is one of the BEST 3D I own and the 3D blows your mind in last 30 min of the movie, where we see a lot of Dragons...and all Hiccup rides on Toothless..I highly Recommend this to all who are thirsty for a 3D Excellency..You will not be disappointed!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun film, one of the finest blu-rays ever, 29 Oct 2010
I bought this from Amazon in Germany because it was out earlier than here. My wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for the film, it was very entertaining. It could have used a good thunderstorm or hailstorm though for atmospherics, I mean "We have snow for nine months and hail for three..." The story is typical DW stuff, it has you laughing in spots, it has enough action to keep you satisfied, and it is something the kids, AND the wife will enjoy. The story is nothing new, pretty much recycled from other stories, predictable, and maybe less thrilling than some. If you are only watching this for content, you might not like it so much. However, if you are not watching this in all its blu-ray glory, i.e. full HD TV and full surround sound, you have no idea what you are missing.

Video:
5/5
The video was nearly perfect in my opinion. I found it a tad bit soft in places, and not as sharp as some animated titles, the hairs for example seemed sometimes less defined than other titles (the Chief's beard for example needs some more detail). That is really just nitpicking though, because it is a reference quality picture, no doubt about it.
You will enjoy this movie just from the stunning visuals, which are among the most 3D of any 2D film I have ever watched. You get great depth, good colors, nice deep blacks, simply a stunning transfer.

Sound:
10/5
The sound is nothing short of jaw-droppingly, stunningly fantastic. I loved it from start to finish. Makes you wonder why so many films use DTS when you get a Dolby True HD track like this. The bass is cracking, the surrounds are well utilized and the music score sings through the speakers. Dialogue is clear at all times. Each scene is immersive, the bass really brings the action sequences to life and works your subwoofer over. I really think this is a perfect soundtrack which will please all audiophiles, and really please the bass enthusiasts as well.

We have watched it twice in the last week and will watch it over and over. A must own for any animated film fan and/or home theater enthusiast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Feb 2014
J. Wickens (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Train Your Dragon [DVD] (DVD)
Every once in a while you come across a kids film that a) they want to watch over and over again, and b) you as a parent don't mind watching over and over again! This is one such film, filled with great effects, voices and action a plenty! Looking forward to the new film this year and the cartoon network series is a must too :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard of hearing? Beware, 24 Nov 2013
I won't review the movie itself as many others here have already done so. I'm writing a review as a hard of hearing person and also as the father of a daughter who is deaf.

Unfortunately, Dreamworks have decided to NOT subtitle the 3D version of this film (The non-3D Blu-ray and the DVD version are subtitled). Subtitles are provided on the 3D version in Turkish, Polish and several other Eastern European languages but not in English

Why?

Dreamworks might argue that subtitles would spoil the 3D effect which is why they've chosen not to have them available but I've watched many 3D Blu-Rays with subtitles and I've never once found my vision of the 3D perspective affected. This potential argument of Dreamworks' also doesn't hold water when you remember they have provided subtitles in other languages

So, not really a review from me but more of a warning to those who are deaf or hard of hearing and might be considering buying this movie

5.0 out of 5 stars The whole family loved this, 26 July 2012
M Belle (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: How To Train Your Dragon [DVD] (DVD)
We all loved this film...adults and children alike. My daughter practically begged herself senseless for this DVD after seeing the movie at the cinema and she's watched it over and over again ever since...she's 12. My other children love it too...3,16 and 22 years old! It's got a great story and the characters are so brilliantly portrayed. The main character...a little boy 'acquires' a dragon, but everyone around him is determined to destroy dragons so he has to keep it a secret. I think you get the drift. I would definitely recommend this DVD to anyone with kids/grandkids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 18 Jan 2012
This review is from: How To Train Your Dragon [DVD] (DVD)
How to train you dragon must be one of my all time favorites. for both me and the family. is actually amazing. and i love my animations. this is one, that actually makes you go, wow; in a cute way obv.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Make an Entertaining Film, 10 Aug 2011
ratmonkey (Hardy Country) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Train Your Dragon [DVD] (DVD)
This is a superb delight from start to finish. Everything gels and fits perfectly. The story is excellent, the cast is spot on and the animation is pixar-esque in its beauty. It is one of those perfect family films that you can put on on a rainy Sunday or a sunny Saturday afternoon and watch again and again. It even has a very conventional happy ending that doesn't seem too trite and has actually been formed as a logical progression via the narrative. So form and content compliment each other as they should always do in any medium or art form.

I won't spoil the story. Suffice it to say it's not a new story but it's expertly told and innovatively made and holds attention throughout. There really is not a dud moment. In fact I think I might go and watch it again - and I'm a 36 year old man!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant film, 4 July 2011
We so enjoyed this dvd. The "WE" are 3 people over 60! I did let my daughter and grandchildren watch it and they also rated it highly

5.0 out of 5 stars Loads of fun, 30 Jun 2011
My wife wanted to watch this as some of her friends had said how great it was. I wasnt overly keen but I have to admit that I throughly enjoyed it. The animation is fantastic and its just a whole load of fun, I laughed and smiled all the way through. Its still a tad expensive in my mind but its no doubt something we will watch over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant movie, 22 Jun 2011
This review is from: How To Train Your Dragon [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great movie but be careful showing it to young children. My 3yo and 6yo have now watched it 3-4 times per day for about a month, and get cranky when my wife or I wants to turn it off...

‹ Previous | 1 2 361 | Next ›

How To Train Your Dragon [DVD]
How To Train Your Dragon [DVD] by Dean DeBlois (DVD - 2010)