Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.49

on 7 July 2014
I've read many of andrew fukudas books and this is by far the best. It both scares you and draws you in, it combines love and horror into an adventurous journey. It connects with your emotion so vividly I have to rate it five star (more if I could)
on 6 December 2013
I really liked this book; it was dark, engaging and at times I was't totally sure what was going on, which is good because I like a book to keep me guessing. Without giving away any spoilers, I'll say that the only reason I couldn't give this book full marks was because for me the ending wasn't what I was hoping for, and I felt it was a bit abrupt, with certain characters not being explained fully and therefore feeling a bit flat (mainly I am referring to the lady that lodges with the boy and his mother). However, the narrative voice was really strong, the perfect balance between angry ostracised teen and lovestruck young man. The exploration of racial tension was great and the fact that parts of the book hurt my heart shows that it really was well written.
on 28 August 2013
I would recommend this book. To me it describes the hurt felt and consequent self-protectionist behaviour of someone who knows they/their family are different and perceived by others as somehow less worthy or, even worse, insignificant.... A sad story but I believe will resonate with so many people who have been hopeful of the goodness of human nature but experience may sadly have led them to believe otherwise!
on 11 April 2015
This was one of the most moving books I have read for many months. Xing, the main character is portrayed with thought and care and is utterly believable. The story deals with racism and bullying and the impact of both is clear throughout the novel. It builds to an unexpected crescendo and leaves the reader shocked.
A first rate novel. I am looking forward to more books from this talented author.
on 23 June 2014
From the start this book had me hooked, I kept reading well past my bedtime! Good character image throughout, good plot and a few twists which make you think you know who did it but the ending, oh the ending! Such a let down. Its almost a cliff hanger situation but there cant be a sequel to this story and I was definitely left feeling a little lost at the abruptness of it and if I'm honest pleased I got this ebook on the freebie list. Read only if you can handle a rushed and unanswered ending.
on 29 August 2013
I bought this book when it was a daily deal. When I started to read it, I didn't particularly like the way it was written. I almost gave up, but then it started to get interesting. In fact, the story is pretty good, and its easy to feel empathy with the main character, the only Chinese boy in an american high school where several students go missing. There are just a couple of times when events seemed a bit far-fetched. But I won't give anything away. The book as a whole is a real page turner and the ending was unexpected.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Crossing is an intriguing and taut little novel.

Xing Xu is one of only two Chinese pupils in an otherwise white school. The other one, Naomi Lee, has a nicely camouflaged name, is pretty and has an excellent grasp of English. By contrast, Xing is male, gauche and withdrawn. His father is dead and he barely sees his mother. Already an outsider, he alienates himself further with his attitude.

The result is that most people Xing meets are not very nice to him. He is bullied, tormented and finds himself slowly eclipsed by Naomi as she, a more recent immigrant, successfully integrates herself in the school's social network. Meanwhile, misery loves company and Jan, a strange new girl finds herself seeking solace with Xing as she, too, receives the school's cold shoulder.

Xing presents a wry narration, exposing both the shallowness of others' lives and also gives an insight into his own deeper thoughts. We find an intelligent, witty, likeable man battling heroically, stoically against the odds. Xing refuses to compromise his integrity just to fit in with others whose company he has never actually desired. He is not envious, just disdainful.

Then two things start to happen. Pupils from the school start to disappear, some of them later found to have been murdered. Meanwhile, Xing finds himself taken under the wing of the slightly forbidding music teacher and groomed for the lead role in the school's musical. This appears to offer Xing the opportunity at last for acceptance; a talent that he can display. A talent that can make his mother proud; which might even win the heart of Naomi Lee. Most of all, a talent that he inherited from his late father whose time on earth seems otherwise to have been without achievement.

At this point, the novel becomes ambiguous; it can be interpreted in one of two ways. Perhaps this demonstrates that truth will always come second to prejudice; we believe what we want to believe, or perhaps what we expect to believe. The ending leaves the reader thinking - perhaps feeling self-justified in having been right or perhaps surprised at being wrong. Or perhaps just wondering...

Please read Crossing, it is a little gem and augurs very well for the future writing career of Andrew Xia Fukuda.
55 comments|39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 August 2013
I downloaded this on a whim as a deal of the day bargain and wow i'm glad i did! Although some parts of the book were a little unbelievable (I have taken part in musicals myself,there is no way you could perform without many many rehearsals!) however these minor strains of reality are easily forgiven because the book is well written and the story flows well. I read plenty of murder mystery type books and surprisingly to me i found something new here. Excellent first book from this talented author
on 4 November 2014
I read this novel and was really enjoying the story, but was disappointed at the ending,ir did,nt really say if he did the murders or not, maybe u had to let ur own imagination do the ending,or else it was just me not catching the end of story, lol
on 17 June 2014
A novel written from a totally different perspective. Xing is a very interesting character and his life is full of mystery and intrigue. Even when his talent is recognised he is full of self doubt which eventually leads to his downfall.