on 17 March 2004
I highly recommend Deepak Chopra's book "Perfect Weight". He is a medical doctor and endocrinologist who's books on health and spirituality are best-sellers in many parts of the world.
I like his chapter on overcoming food cravings and binges. If, for instance, you constantly crave something sweet then he recommends you try a cup of warm milk each day - perhaps as part of breakfast. Honey can also help cut cravings whilst at the same time be better for you than sugar.
Dr Chopra gives many, many such ideas. Others include use of safe herbs which he lists. He also suggests a variety of uses of ginger - a spice that is particularly good for reducing overweight.
Dr Chopra also recommends the daily use of meditation as it is an extremely effective technique for dealing with emotionally based cravings and binges. He gives clear instructions for doing a 5 minute breathing awareness meditation.
It is my experience that if you meditate for 20 minutes twice per day then you go down from beta waves (busy mind) to alpha waves (relaxed mind) and then down to theta waves (deeply relaxed mind).
All in all, this book is different to the usual diet/weight loss book. It includes such things as instructions for very basic yoga postures, how to do a dry massage or an oil massage etc.
If you are looking for an all-round approach to finding your perfect weight and are willing to try new ideas then you might vey well find this book useful.
on 6 July 2012
I got this book because I have other Deepak Chopra books, I'm not massively overvweight, just enough to make me feel that I should do something about it. I have yo-yo dieted for years, but I wanted to find a way of eating that meant I wasn't either on or off a diet.

Firstly you need to read this book a few times for the ideas, especially about for some of the Ayurvedic principles to sink in. The book includes things like eating what you want for the first two weeks, this may sound strange but he asks you to eat more slowly and get used to feeling full, and to stop eating when you have had enough. I did this and for the first few days I found it hard to get my head around. but slowly but surely I seemed to eat less and less. Then after this two week period he takes you through a system of eating that will keep you healthy and balanced and help you to maintain a weight that is healthy for you.

To be honest I found some of the suggestions hard, since they included herbs that I just can't get hold of here in the UK. And although he says it's not a diet, you are following a set of rules depending on the type of person you are. All in all I took some great ideas from this book, I think that to follow it to the letter, could be hard for some people, especially if they work full time. I took the principles that I could work with from this book and I have lost some weight and slowly but surely I am reducing in size.

I have given it 4 stars, just because I think that to follow his ideas completely would be hard for most people. The book does take a different approach to weight loss and I found it very useful from that perspective and I especially enjoy drinking ginger tea now.
on 18 May 2015
Good in parts! I liked the idea of the sesame oil massage. Great on the skin but a disaster for my fine hair! Am trying some of the tips for eating in a different way as I already prep all my food from scratch. Vino is rationed to a couple of small glasses a week, ditto cakes. I walk 2-3 miles per day but the weight doesn't shift! Maybe its a different issue that needs to be resolved - will persevere!
on 1 October 2015
It makes sense.
on 22 January 2013
I read this and enjoyed it but it did not change my life.
I am not a follower of Deepak Chopra although I agree with everything he says.