4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading by anyone with an enquiring mind
The first time I read this book I was left feeling dissapointed. However after re-reading certain sections of the book a few times, the ideas become easier to grasp and really blow your mind when you realise what they mean. Anyone who would like to know what the theory of relatively is, have an idea of the classical views on the universe, or a little about quantum...
Published on 15 Sep 2006 by T. Kemp

3.0 out of 5 stars More accessible but less for it
For those looking for a more accessible version of a 'brief history' you could try it, but it has less to offer than A Brief History Of Time: From Big Bang To Black Holes. There is updated material but the other book has more to offer overall. It depends on what you are looking for but it's still best to consider both books before making a choice.
Published on 7 Feb 2012 by Ecosurfer

5.0 out of 5 stars A Better History of Time, 9 Nov 2010
David N. Esq "David N" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
I'm more an English Lit and History kind of man, and I found A Brief History of Time impenetrable. This version however has benefitted from some careful consideration on someone's part about how to take the reader along, and on a pretty exotic trip at that. I am neither a mathematician nor a physician, but I couldn't put it down. It is enthralling.

Now I'm heading on to the next instalment.....

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting but not satisfying, 19 Oct 2010
it is probably a good idea to issue this book as a short version. I'm sure you will learn everything a layman needs from this. If it is not detailed enough, you are probably deep into the subject anyway. On the one hand, it is engagingly written and an easy read; on the other it leaves you with a big "so what" at the end. The general theory of relativity and what Einstein really showed, does not seem terribly well explained to me and yet understanding this is fundamental to the rest of the book. On the positive side, the cute illustrations are sometimes helpful as well as amusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A briefer history of time, 26 Feb 2012
Really interesting read, the fundamental concepts are well explained and there are some good pictures/diagrams. The only problem is that it may be a bit over simplified for people interested in physics.

5.0 out of 5 stars The more I read this book, the better it gets., 3 July 2014
This review is from: A Briefer History of Time (Kindle Edition)
The more I read this book, the better it gets. At first I was sceptical thinking it lacked the finer detail of the original 'Brief History of Time'. But once I got over this I began to realise just how good a summary this is. It is perfectly pitched for the generally curious non-scientist who has an interest in the biggest questions facing mankind. The biggest compliment I can pay is that I have re-read it many times and will continue to do so for many years to come. Every time I come back to it I discover a new personal insight into some of topics covered. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dumbed down for me!, 16 May 2014
R. KELLY (Dartford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Briefer History of Time (Kindle Edition)
Now I get it! The perfect rewrite for the intellectually challenged like me. Ok, not really, but much easier to understand than the original.

4.0 out of 5 stars A starter for 10, 27 Mar 2014
As an introduction to understanding time, this is for you. Well written, although rather tough at times, it shows what a magnificent and committed person Stephen is.
If you are just interested in scientific subjects I can recommend this book to you. It's not easy to get a grip of the subject at times but a rewarding read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: A Briefer History of Time (Kindle Edition)
Haven't read the brief history of time but have read most of Brian cox books on same topics. A briefer history of time is easier to understand which is saying quite a lot really and means the book is a great buy for anyone interested in understanding the history of the cosmos, relativity etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book written in layman's terms, 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: A Briefer History of Time (Kindle Edition)
If you're in the slightest interested in the cosmos and the ideas surrounding the big bang, then this is the book for you. I was only disappointed that the book didn't have enough pages.. I was engrossed in the theories and ideas right to the final page. A must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio book A Briefer History of Time, 20 Jan 2014
Mrs. V. Moloney "Veronica Moloney" (Bromley, Kent. UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this audio book for my husband who has lost his sight. He has enjoyed listening to it very much and likes the way it is broken down into separate parts.

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, 2 Jan 2014
good read , cant wait to sit and read this book in my own quite time. may buy some more of his books to

A Briefer History of Time