4.0 out of 5 stars Trust Me, I'm A Vet
Published on 21 April 2010 by Leah Graham

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Read
If you like very basic chick lit with not much of a story you might enjoy this book. The only good think about it was the stories about the health of the animals which was of interest. Other than that the book rolls along very boringly! Save yourself the money
Published on 7 Jan 2012 by Miss J E McGrath

4.0 out of 5 stars Trust Me, I'm A Vet, 21 April 2010
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Maz Harwood has had enough of London life for a while so when her friend Emma suggests she takes over Otter House Vets for six month while Emma goes on holiday with her husband Ben, Maz jumps at the chance. Country life is nothing like City life and soon Maz finds herself not only knee-deep in sick animals but she also in the middle of a feud with the other vets in Talyton, Talyton Manor Vets. Maz also discovers that Otter House is in serious trouble and she feels she has to not only mend that but also her broken heart. Good job there's a man on the scene helping to distract Maz. It's just a shame he's the competition's son.

I've never read any of Cathy's books before so I wasn't sure what to expect so it came as a nice surprise to be able to slip into the book so easily. The book starts just before Maz takes over as the locum at Otter House and sets the scene really well for Maz to come in and take over from Emma. We're then introduced to the residents of Talyton St George including Izzy, Nigel and Frances who also work at Otter House as well as the Fox-Giffords who are rivals of Otter House and have their own veterinary clinic Talyton Manor Vets and any residents who bring in their pets to Otter House. It creates quite the atmosphere within Talyton St George and the village is really brought to life with it's wonderful characters.

Cathy Woodman really manages to bring the village of Talyton St George to life, as I've previously mentioned and although the way in which everyone knew everyone elses business, I fell in love with the village alongside Maz. If you're going to write a series then creating a fantastic setting is a must and Woodman has managed that with relative ease. Of course there was also lots of drama - as I said, everyone is in everyone elses pocket - but it was all handled within time and there was never too much at any given point. Since the book is about a vet's practice it's to be expected that not every animal treated will survive and there were a few cases that had me in tears, I must say. Woodman handled those scenes sensitively though and although the scenes did make me sad, I also understood why they had to happen. There's a huge plot twist three quarters of the way through the book that really shook everything up, too, and which I did not see coming - making my shock all the worse! I much mention the ending which really set the scene for the second book in the series which I'm eagerly anticipating!

Overall I really enjoyed reading Trust Me, I'm A Vet. It's rare for a chick lit book to feature animals - and definitely not as many as Trust Me, I'm A Vet features - which made my enjoyment all the better as I am a huge animal lover. This is a must-read for animal lovers and the cute cover should tell you all you need to know. October - and the second book in the series - cannot come soon enough for me, I really can't wait to read it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Read, 7 Jan 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 18 April 2010
I really enjoyed this book. The main character, Maz, is a vet out of her comfort zone. She agrees to locum for a friend in Devon, moving from a relationship break-up and her familiar home of London. There are some typical country village sterotypes but these are dealt with in a very sympathetic way. Her endeavours to be accepted in the village and the life of a small animals vet surgery are great fun but also, at times, very moving. I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series, and have already ordered some of the authors previous books. Sit down, make a cuppa and relax with this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Vet in the country set, 4 Feb 2012
I liked the character of Maz the vet but the pet ailments and operations were a bit too graphic for my tastes. Apart from this I felt I was reading a Mills and Boon and gave up before halfway to read the last page. Bit disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely light read - if you like animals - read it!, 23 Jun 2012
Was given this by my mother-in-law, so not one I would have normally picked up. But, it was lovely. I really engaged with the characters and am glad to discover it's part of a series. Cathy really brought the characters to life. Light and easy to read, but has some serious undertones too, which make it not completely fluffy. Will definitely be reading the rest of the series

3.0 out of 5 stars Fluffy, 28 Feb 2011
A light-hearted, romantic romp through the veterinary world. The literary equivalent of candy floss - sweet and enjoyable, but not hugely satisfying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for on hols, 10 Jan 2011
I bought this book as a holiday read last year. The author is an ex vet and an animal lover and I thought this book might appeal to me. I was not disappointed, it's a nice little tale - although the love story element of it is predictable. The animal tales actually brought a tear to my eye.

3.0 out of 5 stars Predictable and quite fun, 12 Sep 2010
I quite enjoyed this but it was all very predictable; easy to read and quite amusing but certainly nothing special. I probably won't bother with the sequel. There didn't seem to be much depth to most of the characters which was a shame. Disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!!, 9 Sep 2010
For anyone who loves animals and village life this book is a must. It is funny and sometimes sad and i didnt want to put it down. Loved it so much i have ordered the next book on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Very Goood!!!!!, 4 Sep 2010
I have been reading a serious of books and it has taken me ages to get through the series, but my Mum brought this book intending to read it on holiday, I was waiting for her so picked the book up and started reading it, i'd i could put it down. I can honestly say it is probably one of the Best books i have ever read. If I hadn't had to go back to school then i easily would have finished it within 2-3 days. I have recommended it to my friends and they are all going to read it, as they thought that it sounded really good!
Please read this book, as a 14yr old i would definitely recommended it for anyone who asked about it.