5.0 out of 5 stars Truly fit for purpose
Published on 17 Sep 2011 by Mr. A. C. Thorne

1.0 out of 5 stars low quality
was told that mora was the best quality I ordered two knifes and both had burred edges on them
which cut my hand if I hadn't of been desperate for the knifes I would have sent them back.
low quality workmanship.
Published 3 months ago by K. A. Bain

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly fit for purpose, 17 Sep 2011
Mr. A. C. Thorne (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mora 120 Wood carving Knife (Misc.)
I have only just returned to my childhood passion of woodcarving and have spent some time and money seeking the 'right' knife for the majority of tasks undertaken in the process of turning a block into anything that looks remotely like anything else. The major criticism of other blades is that none of the stainless steel ones hold any kind of edge, and when eventually I have managed to get them at all sharp the effect dulls within a short space of time in use. Yet other examples in carbon steel have blades that are too long in the blade profile and often have uncomfortable handles, which means that they are hard to use and even harder to control. The Mora 120 knife came in a state which would have enabled me to shave the hair from my face and has stayed that way through several initial tests of its ability. The profile of the blade is brilliant as its length to width ratio means it feels controllable in use and powerful enough to cut the harder wood types without fear of snapping and potentially cutting me. The Mora's handle is just the right shape, size and feel to make controlling the tool very easy, and this alone inspired me with confidence to experiment in my carving of more adventurous shapes. As with carbon steel, the laminated steel blade of the Mora 120 will require some greater care than a stainless blade would but this is really a minor point as this mainly involves cleaning the tool after use to avoid tarnishing which would ultimately cause it to become less effective.
I highly recommend this well designed knife to all amateur carvers like myself, and at the price you can't go wrong. One useful addition is a suitable means of sharpening - a diamond stone or some other, another ongoing search for me I must confess.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little knife for the price, 11 Oct 2010
A. J. Smith - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mora 120 Wood carving Knife (Misc.)
I received this today and have to say that I'm really impressed with the triple laminate blade and the handle is comfortable too for a good carving session.

The blade is short so take care when unsheathing as it will come straight out of the sheath so I suggest keeping the hand pulling the sheath at the end of the sheath. The sheath isn't really good for belt wear but you probably won't be carrying this kind of thing on your belt anyway, suffice to say that it keeps the business end safe.

The triple laminate blade is very easy to touch up and only needs a couple of strokes on a ceramic like a Fallkniven DC4 to become shaving sharp again (I was carving seasoned Ash and I felt that it could do with a little touch up afterwards).

5.0 out of 5 stars holds an edge well, comfortable to use, 26 May 2011
This review is from: Mora 120 Wood carving Knife (Misc.)
I'm really rather pleased with this knife. The blade is just the right length to make whittling easy, and the handle is a good size, so its not uncomfortable of you use it for a long time. (The wood of the handle is entirely natural though, not varnished or anything, so I guess it could perhaps do with being treated with linseed oil or something at some point).

The blade its self has a nice wide top that is comfortable if pressing down on it with a finger or thumb. The blade was fairly sharp when it arrived, and after a quick go with my whetstone it soon got to shaving sharp. It seems to hold the edge fairly well too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little knife needing a better sheath, 14 Sep 2011
This review is from: Mora 120 Wood carving Knife (Misc.)
I bought one of these on spec to try it out, and it has become one of my most used tools. Like a well-known make of woodstain, it does exactly what it says on the tin.

The blade is shaving sharp from new, and the laminated steel is easy to keep sharp with a strop and very occasional resort to the waterstones. The zero-ground edge holds it's edge well even on harder woods, and carves green woods like butter. I haven't yet found a situation where I have thought, "the blade is too big for this", and if you are removing large amounts of material with this knife, you are probably using the wrong tool!

The handle is comfortable for extended use, although it does benefit from rubbing down and a few coats of teak oil or Danish oil, and it works well in all the variations of grip that I use.

The sheath. Ah, the sheath... This could possibly cost this little gem one of it's five stars if I was feeling uncharitable. It really isn't very good - it doesn't hold the knife very securely, although while the knife manages to stay in the sheath it does offer excellent protection, both protecting the edge form damage, and protecting you from that wickedly sharp edge.
A little work with the heatgun can help here, by softening the mouth of the sheath and allowing the knife to sit deeper inside (the sheath is longer than it needs to be) before cooling the plastic under the cold tap to re-harden it.

To summarise: an excellent tool, and well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great knife, shame about the sheath, 26 Jun 2012
This review is from: Mora 120 Wood carving Knife (Misc.)
An excellent knife, fits in the hand very well and easy to get a razor sharp finish to it. It's just a shame the sheath doesn't fit so well, so the knife drops out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars craft tool review, 21 Dec 2011
This review is from: Mora 120 Wood carving Knife (Misc.)
This tool was just as described in the advert, Light wieght easy to handle and very sharp.Was very happy with this as it made carving that bit easier and it was a joy to use.Great wee knife.Was also happy to get it delivered so quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality whittling knife., 10 Mar 2013
J. Adams (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mora 120 Wood carving Knife (Misc.)
I have started whittling for fun again and purchased this knife for the purpose. I have always used my Swiss Army Knife in the past, but wanted to try something with a better grip. This knife was not cheap but is perfect for the job. The wooden handle feels nice in the hand and the knife is a good balance. The handle is of sufficient size to give a good easy secure grip, providing comfortable ease of use of prolonged periods. The blade is a good quality steel which keeps its edge well. All in all i am very happy with my purchase and would recommend this knife without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mora 120 wood carving knife, 2 Jan 2012
This review is from: Mora 120 Wood carving Knife (Misc.)
In the building of a wood carving tool kit I purchased the Mora 120 twenty knife.
This is a very versatile knife not only in the art of wood carving but is adaptable to many outdoor pursuits.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Mora 120 Wood carving Knife (Misc.)
I got this knife after taking up whittling and looking for a cheap but good quality knife and that's what the mora120 is I cant fault it in anyway and use it in the house and garden for jobs all the time just a wonderful little tool

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Mora 120 Wood carving Knife (Misc.)
It came very quick, and was just what I expected it to be good quality steel that holds a fine cutting edge.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›