4.0 out of 5 stars freeview pvr
Published on 23 Sept. 2010 by Roy

2.0 out of 5 stars A good product, at a good price (udate 16th October).
I had to buy a replacement for my TVonics freeview digital recorder - as it crashed! - and I couldn't find one that I liked at a reasonable price. I found this while searching through - and thought I would give it a go.

Published on 27 July 2010 by N. Oliver

2.0 out of 5 stars A good product, at a good price (udate 16th October)., 27 July 2010
N. Oliver ""pinky"" (barnstaple, devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bush 320GB Hard Drive Freeview Recorder DTR with Twin Tuner (Amazing Price)

It is quite large - considering the size of the TVonics one that I absolutely loved and am still grieving for - but there was plenty of room under the TV, so that wasn't an issue. Very easy to set up - gives you clear instructions on how to connect to your tv, and video recorder as well. Simple on screen instructions on what to do - good for me, as I am not very technically minded! - and within 10 minutes you are up and running! You have a 14 day EPG (electonic programme guide) - but bear in mind to use this facility it does take a full 24 hours to load up. There is the option of topping up your tv, but I have not done this. It said in the hand book that it comes with a top up tv card, mine didn't. But as I don't want to use this, that isn't a problem. Recording programmes is easy - and once recorded, they are automatically put into folders depending on what it is ie film, factual, childrens, etc., or they are just listed by recording date on the first page. It will also give you the option of recording a whole series - very handy - and unlike my TVonics one, does not record the repeats!! It also uses twin tuners - so can record two programmes at once. I have used this feature, and although I was skeptical, it does work!

The only down side is that it does have quite a loud humming noise - which is always there, even when it is off (ie on standby). The only way to stop this is to turn it off from the wall - which is slightly irritating and you can't do that if you are taping something over night. It also feels quite warm to touch - but again, I assume that is part of the design.

All in all, a good product - and a good replacement for the dearly departed TVonics.

Update: 16th October -
Well, it has crashed. After just 3 months. I am starting to think that I am a jinx! This is the third one that has crashed now and I am getting really annoyed. I am considering just getting a plain set top box - not so many things to go wrong. The other annoying, and surprising thing, was the humming sound. For a bedroom, it is very very loud and some nights I did have to turn if off from the socket. Be aware, also, if you purchase this item that in standby mode it is using alot of electric - so if you are cost conscious, this might not be the product for you. There are certainly better ones out there, albeit more expensive, that won't drive up your electric bill so high (ours went up ALOT since purchasing this product). If anyone knows if a freeview digital recorder, that actually works longer than 12 months, please let me know?!

4.0 out of 5 stars freeview pvr, 23 Sept. 2010
i purchased this bush pvr which is a very good product,it performs very similar to skyplus ,it has a big capacity hard drive and is simple to setup and use,the company who handled the purchase delivered on time and packaged well,i was a little disapointed in a responce from one of the personnel, i had to query a problem and i found there responce not very accomodating but still a good product and recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 14 April 2011
P. Lowe "realityman" (UK) - See all my reviews
Nice stlyling. Good quality. Works well. Hard disc is a little noisy. We have it in bedroom & it doesn't keep us awake but you are aware of it. Cracking value for money.

1.0 out of 5 stars No good, 9 Sept. 2012
David Wisdom "Despearate Dan" (Ryde, Isle of Wight, England) - See all my reviews
A lot of people had given this item a poor review. I thought they were exaggerating, they weren't. All it did from the moment I got it was keep resetting it self. Sometimes in the middle of recording a program. If you are thinking of getting this Freeview Recorder, DON'T. It is completely useless. This is very poor quality for a company like Bush. But saying that the seller was great. I got in touch, they emailed me a return label, and within a few days I had my money back. So the 1 star is for the Bush 320GB Hard Drive Freeview Recorder DTR with Twin Tuner, not the seller or Amazon who are great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy!, 1 July 2013
A smaller, quieter product than the Sony model it replaced. Also has a sleep-mode when not in use to save power. Only down side: if you pause live TV and then wizz forward to catch up it continues recording (wasting energy) unless you flip between channels - really odd.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better., 22 Nov. 2012
I bought this after my Topup TV box died and a recon Humax box wouldn't even start up( got my money back though).I suppose you get what you pay for.It seems to be as well made as any other but the functions take forever.Also it randomly decides not to record programmes( especially in series link mode).It has tricks that my other boxes didn't however, such as being able to tag a point while watching a recording so you can go back to it without lots of fast forwarding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bush 320G Hard Drive Freeview Recorder, 4 Aug. 2010
Thank you what a brilliant buy. The price was brilliant for a freeview recorder twin tuner. will certainly buy another for my daughter.
Easy to use and set up, no complicated wording plug in, tune and away to go.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bush 320GB Freeview Recorder, 26 Sept. 2012
The low price (circa £69) was because the unit had been a display model. In other words it was not really new. I don't think that this was made clear in the advetisement on Amazon. Perhaps I should have realised this because of the 'amazing price' referred to in the advertisement but I did not. I had been using a digibox on the TV and that worked perfectly but with the Bush recorder the picture constantly broke up. The only way I can obtain a stable picture is by using a signl amplifier. This surprises me because when tuning the unit the signal strength is shown a being high. Even with the amplifier the picture occasionally breaks up for a second. I was expecting a basic model for the price but still feel slightly disappointed with the product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 15 Jun. 2014
I bought this to replace my Toshiba one which had seen better days. I chose it because of the huge HDD and because it was small and compact. Unfortunately, those are it's only good points. I bought mine around 14 months ago and I am now on replacement number 3. The first one lasted 3.5 months and then the picture just froze. I tried turning it off and on but in the end had to call the "helpline". They were clueless and asked me to return it. I did. Losing all my recordings.

Replacement 2 lasted only 2 weeks before it just refused to turn on anymore. Argh!

Replacement 3 is still with me and lasted a bit longer but 2 months out of warranty has begun freezing and coming up with recording errors every few hours. You cannot reliably programme it to record as it will freeze up if left unattended. Bush are uninterested!

Crap. Just don't bother. I miss my Toshiba.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor product, but Good Customer Service, 19 Aug. 2012
This Bush set-top box was supplied promptly. I had some complaint about the delivery, and the supplier has promised to take this up with his delivery agent.
However,on using the item I found that playback of recorded programmes was of poor quality; I believed the item to be faulty.
When I advised the supplier, he responded quickly with a full refund. I was very pleased by his approach.I have now sent the item back to him.
I have since tried this product from another supplier, and experienced the same problem with it. It may therefore be a generic problem with this model.
Overall, I would be happy to use this supplier again.He responds quickly and is very anxious to help his customer.