This runs very smoothly on my MacBook Pro, running OS x 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

The interface is attractive and intuitive, to my eyes.

Whilst it's true that Mac OS X computers are somewhat less susceptible to viruses, trojans are always a risk. Good computing practice will help your Mac remain virus free, even without software like this.

Some...
Published on 29 April 2010 by JM

3.0 out of 5 stars Good software, but could end up just too costly to use
Published on 6 May 2010 by A. J. Parkes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good software, but could end up just too costly to use, 6 May 2010
A. J. Parkes "sekrapa" (Dudley, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The claim that a Mac is safe from a computer virus is just plain stupid. Years ago, this was the case as there was just a minute percentage of mac users. However, as sales of the Macbook and iMacs have increased, the user base has got larger and has started to draw the attention of the virus creators. It is nowhere as bad as the PC world, but there is still a threat out there. However, with careful browsing (not visiting dodgy sites) and not opening attachments from people you do not know, you can be virtually trouble free without a virus checker.

I installed this on a 2.5 year iMac. As this is the virus checker only, if you select the other options to install as well, they will be trial copies. The only way to remove these after is put the disc back in and uninstall the components that way, you can not just drag them to the bin.

After installing and updating the software and restarting, the load time did not change that much. The speed of the computer does not seem to be affected at all, and there appears to be no crashes (yet as on 6:45 p.m. 06/05/10). With no settings altered and leaving them as the default ones, I did a full scan of all files. At first I thought it was going fast, then realised that it was just analysing before scanning. It took just over 4 hours to scan and produced a total of 0 infections and threats.

After using my computer daily for all that time, careful sensible browsing has kept my computer clean of infections, leaving me to think do I really need this software? Especially sine the cost will only give you 1 years worth of updates, after which you will either have to renew and pay for another year, or remove the software. In effect, you are only renting the software and this seems expensive.

I tried to find out how much the renewal costs per year by starting the NetUpdate, highlighting VirusBarrier X6 Threat Filters and clicking Renew, the webpage states "We regret that only single-user subscriptions can be updated on our web site. If you wish to purchase a subscription for a multi-user or site license, please contact Intego Sales by e-mail or by phone: in the USA: +1 (512) 637-0700 (for customers based in USA, Canada, Latin America and Australia). In France: +33 (0)1 55 07 27 27 (for customers based in Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia ). In Japan: +81 0263-83-7646 (for customers based in Japan)".

So, to renew this 2 computer user Virus Checker, you have to telephone France and hand over card details or email them. Truly unbelievable and shows utter contempt.

The only good thing is the Firewall. It clearly shows what is going on. In the Client, Local Server mode, you access the internet, but your computer is only allowed to act as a server for your own network. It does seem a strong firewall, but is it worth the price?

If you are paranoid about viruses on your Mac and don't mind repeated costs per year of unknown amount, then this is the thing for you, otherwise think twice before parting with cash on a yearly basis.

4.0 out of 5 stars A TAD expensive for a yearly subcription, a very well-polished app - buy IF you can afford it., 29 April 2010
JM (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This runs very smoothly on my MacBook Pro, running OS x 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

The interface is attractive and intuitive, to my eyes.

Some generic advice for newbies:

- Be careful WHO you are downloading software from
- Be careful a downloaded installer package asks you to enter an admin password

Why? A newly written trojan may not (yet) be in Intego's signature file, so it may not be able to 'recognise' brand new threats.

It's great to have Virus Barrier as a "safety net", if you can afford it, buy it. I'd recomment this product to people who lack computing knowledge/experience, for added peace-of-mind. And also rich people.

If you can't comfortably afford this yearly subcription, I'd give it a miss. (You can use a free/open-source alternative, like ClamXav, although I've found it somewhat frustrating to use).

You ought to listen to a range of recent news-based Macintosh podcasts to gauge what the (current) consensus is. They can go into depth beyond the scope of this review. (i.e. there's a lot of detail, if you care to read it).

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice software... shame about the expiry date!, 28 April 2010
bomble "bomble" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used, owned and maintained other people's Macs since the early '90s... and I hate to admit that I've never once seen anyone with a Mac that suffered from a virus infection. But that's no reason to be complacent; even if your machine isn't affected you could be passing on a virus to someone else and that's a serious concern if you happen to use your Mac to exchange files with your work place for example.

For the PC there are countless antivirus suites available; many of them free and suitably effective. Mac doesn't have that many options - as few Mac users take the virus threat seriously. One such free utility is ClamXav which I use to scan downloads and drives on my Mac.

However, the Intego Virus Barrier is a massive improvement on the very basic and user unfriendly ClamXav. The interface is clear with many useful funtions for software firewall protection etc. Plus the bundle contains additional parental control software and backup utilities (that I chose not to install). It runs faster than ClamXav; is able to scan the entire boot disk (which ClamXav cannot to my knowledge) and gives you realtime graphs showing the data throughput of your connection and the number of scanned files. All very nice and, so far, I haven't discovered any system conflicts of loss of performance.

BUT... and it's a big but in my book... the software license is only valid for one year on installation. So, presumably, when that year is up... you're set to purchase an extention or simply drop off the anti-virus protected plateau. If I purchase something... I like to feel I own it!

Given the low percentage of Mac machines out there, complacency of the Mac user community and the (current) low risk of Mac virus infection, I can't help feeling that this was a trick to try to keep the cash coming in. In all other regards my impressions of this software are good... and may well decide to renew it in a year's time. But it really should be understood that this is effectively an annual service charge you're paying and not the purchase of the software.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for MacOS 10.4, 26 Aug 2010
A. Taylor (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this product through Amazon's Vine program for my G4 Powerbook running system 10.4.11. Unfortunately, the product description fails to tell you that this product only works on 10.5 and above. Not a fault of the makers, but Amazon should be a bit more careful with product descriptions. From people that have used it, it seems to be an excellent product. Shame I can't try it, but I'll give it a mark based on friend's experiences.

1.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing, 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: Intego VirusBarrier X6 - 2 Machines (Mac) (CD-ROM)
filed a complaint on this product wasnt as stated isnt a fully functional software seller failed to describe it well when i bought it
i was disappointed to find i had only paid for a virus protection feature and others are on temp 1 month trial period which each cost an additional costly
sum when your directed to an online link for it to get activated after you pay, the serial provided only activates one feature and not all isnt a fully working software
considering its an old version too by now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slowed my Mac down significantly, 29 Dec 2010
Lumpster (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have installed this application on a brand new Apple iMac and immediately found that it slowed the computer down significantly. As such, I have disabled the software although it is still sat there and is able to be switched back on at any time or able to scan the whole computer periodically. Personally I think that if you keep your Mac up-to-date via regular software downloads, further anti virus protection probably isn't needed but it all depends on how cautious you are. If you do use this package, however, prepare yourself for a sharp drop off in your Mac's performance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much invisible - just as it should be, 10 May 2010
M. D. Harris (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The sign of a good piece of anti-virus software is that you don't notice it's there until you need it. Intego's Virus Barrier X6 seems to do just that.

Installation was straight forward and it updated itself to latest version straight away. Once installed and updated it suggests you run a full virus scan immediately, which I did. However just before it finished my MacBook Pro suffered a kernel panic (severe crash) and required a restart - I'm not certain that Virus Barrier X6 caused the crash (although it is the main suspect), but my Mac has never done it before. Fortunately it's not done it since either. It is something I will keep in mind though should it happen again.

After that initial hiccup it's gone about it's business unnoticed - a quick look in the activity monitor showed it to be using minimal resources and there appears to be no detectable impact on day to day performance.

This is a good piece of anti-virus software, but two things loose it a star. The aforementioned crash is one (which 'may' be a coincidence) and then there's price, which I think is far too expensive for a one year licence.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty pointless software, 22 July 2010
Get Real "Butterfly_Brand" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I bought a mac for many reasons. one of these reasons is the enhanced security which is basically a given. I have had my mac for over a year & know many other users. None of these users or I have ever had a problem with a virus.
The existence of this software made me think that perhaps I could have a problem in the future. But now I dont think I do.

The installation was simple enough and it doesnt appear to take up any major system resources. When performing a full scan it slows down your system a little bit but that was expected anyway. The key question is I guess, does it stop threats? I cannot answer this as I have never known of any threat to a mac user. As for the cost, I guess I can afford it. But what is the point? Better to but something usefull.

I have now taken it off my mac. Completely pointless at the moment. If this situation changes I may revisit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy upgrade to X5, 12 July 2010
M. C. Cresswell - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Just as with the previous version, this package fills that difficult niche - a virus guard that is both easy on the eye and relatively entertaining. X6 updates the excellent X5 with some useful additions: the main thing you notice is an update to the graphic interface - I do rather miss the car dashboard mock of the previous version, but X6 combines much of the eyecandy with a much more intuitive layout, so you have easier access to all areas such as settings, schedules, logs and quarantine. For the first time you can virus scan your iPhone and also items connected to your mac via Bluetooth. Essentially a makeover of an update, but having had a few viruses on my Mac I can vouch for the need for this software. It should serve you well.

5.0 out of 5 stars essential for the Mac, 20 May 2010
Ibraar 'Le Saracen' "le_saracen" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using Virus Barrier for a number of years, and even though as yet I haven't had a Virus on my Mac (one of the benefits of having a Mac) Virus barrier is a worthy tool incase some virus DOES sneak into the Mac domain - with more and more people using Macs there's a higher chance of contracting a Virus, so better to be safe than sorry.
It's easy to install and set up, is discreet, and works excellently. It also has user definable preferences and keeps up to date!
It has NOT slowed down my Mac in any way - I noticed Net Barrier DOES slow some machines down.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Intego VirusBarrier X6 - 2 Machines (Mac)
Out of stock