5.0 out of 5 stars Darkly majestic, totally superb
While I would have called myself a Paradise Lost fan for the last 4 years or so, and I have every CD they have made, I wouldn't have rated them among my "must see" top 10 until now. I always found them too inconsistent, with flashes of brilliance sandwiched between slabs of uninspired same-ness.

However all that has changed. `In Requiem' is quite superb. I...
Published on 7 Sep 2007 by Anthony Horwood

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
After the promising direction Paradise Lost's previous album took, I can't help but feel disappointed with this one. Most of the songs just don't stand out to me, instead they feel like generic pop gothic metal songs. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but previous albums like Icon, Draconian Times and Paradise Lost have set the standard so high that in comparison this...
Published on 18 July 2008 by M. Ball

5.0 out of 5 stars Darkly majestic, totally superb, 7 Sep 2007
Anthony Horwood "Bruce" (Paris) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Requiem (Audio CD)

However all that has changed. `In Requiem' is quite superb. I liked it from the first listen, but somehow I kept it in my car for two weeks without ever feeling the need to change CDs. This is easily the best album in Paradise Lost's long, illustrious career and should, if there is any justice, mark the turning point, where acclaim is poured all over them.

My daughter is always asking me questions like "what's your favourite track" and with In Requiem it took me about 2 weeks to conclude that it is `Unreachable'. This is not because nothing stands out, the problem is that it *all* stands out. The whole album is composed of `A-sides'.

It's a dark, gloomy kind of music though tracks like Requiem provide an opportunity to slam your head against unyielding objects. The guitars are consistently perfect; the solos are precise and brief and the wall-of-noise is used sparingly and effectively. Instrumentally this is without doubt the band's zenith. Lyrically it is still Paradise Lost, so apparently meaningful lines are interspersed with head-scratching gibberish occasionally, but so what? The overall impression is one of darkly crawling power, and that works very well, thanks. Nick Holmes, always impressive, is at his best ever on this album ranging from straight singing to darkly threatening growls via a credible impression of James Hetfield. This is a band at the peak of their powers and they look poised to exceed themselves and possibly the rest of the dark metal world.

There is no track that immediately bites your face and won't let go (No `Isolate', `Erased' or `Forever After') but there isn't anything on the album I won't sing along to either. It is consistently excellent and should be the album that brings this always excellent band the wider audience they deserve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradise Lost 2007, 4 Oct 2007
Vaclav Smerda "vs3" (Singapore) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Requiem (Audio CD)
This is undoubtedly one of the top 5 releases of 2007. And even though someone might disagree, probably PL's best album so far.

It's very dark, doomy. No messing around, straight to the point ... pure metal. I was just looking at the track listing and wanted to pick the stand out tracks. But there are no stand out tracks on this album. It's brilliant from the first note to the very last one.

If there is something like band's identity, for me it was album Draconian times for PL. Now, that album always had a weakness for me and that were the vocals. In comparison to that album, In Requiem hasn't got any weakness. Nick Holmes is fantastic, absolutely faultless.

It's pointless to analyze In Requiem. You'll buy it anyway and you'll find out for yourself. You certainly won't regret.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradiselost, back in a tour de force album - the finest yet!, 21 May 2007
S. Naisbitt "dekka7@aol.com" (wallsend, tyne and wear United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have been a fan of paradiselost since 1993's thundering and doom leaden opus Icon came to my attention. I have bought every album since on the day of release and eagerly anticipated them, with good reason. Even in the latter years of the nineties when the Halifax quintet where at the apex of their almost techno-pop experimental phase (alienating a fair portion of their hardcore doom fanbase in the process) I had to respect the nerve of these guys to risk sales and popularity for the sake of sticking to their creative guns, even if softer offerings like One Second and to the largest extent 1999's Depeche Mode-like album Host took several spins to grow on me.

With 2007's new album In Requiem the band have offered up a welcome progression, harking back to the melody-ridden thunder of 2005's brilliant self titled record. In Requiem delivers 53+ minutes of solid driven stonk! - full of melodies and crushing riffage that will pin you to your easy chair and never fail to impress. Nick Holmes' vocals are, as ever, clean crisp and precise, the perfect slightly gravelled partner to the cutting guitar work of music writer Greg Macintosh. New drummer Jeff Singer fits seemlessly into the signature plaintive howling guitars and anguish tinted sound of a band I love and have seen live twice (both gigs great nights out).

I prefer to let Amazon customers experience music for themselves, as it's such a subjective artform. So I won't bore you with my list of stand-out tracks. To this reviewer the entire album is excellent. What I will say is: if you like paradiselost then this is a welcome addition to their discography and your collection. If you're new to this band/curious then get this album now! You're a fan of heavy intelligent rock/gothic themed metal? Then come witness a brilliant underrated British band at the peak of their power. . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Another stunning album, 2 Aug 2007
N. Willetts (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Requiem (Audio CD)
I've being a fan of The Lost since seeing them at Donnington many years ago, and despite numerous changes in musical directions (most noticably the excellent Depeche Mode inspired Host)have always enjoyed their CD's. They are rightly classed as the link between The Sisters of Mercy and Metallic and the new CD is no exception.

Excellent songs played with great skill. The stand out tracks for me are Unreachable,Fallen Children, Sedative God and Your Own Reality with the extra cover version of Missing (unfortunately only on the special edition version) being yet another classic cover by the band in the same way that Small Town Boy stood out on Symbol of Life

After all this time I still find it amazing that the band are not one of the top UK metal artists but that is unfortunately other peoples loss

Thanks guys - keep up the good work

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradise Lost continue to stun....., 4 Aug 2007
Paradise Lost's 11th album 'In Requiem' is absolutely stunning. It blends elements from almost all previous albums with what I consider a refreshing new style of gothic metal.
It's organic, very dark, heavy and even brutal in places.
Opener 'Never for the damned' is a barrage of riffs, furious vocals and wonderful leads which sets the tone for the rest of the album. Second song 'Ash and debris' is my personal favourite. Much a song of contrast; the first half presents a massive groove with much anger and stunning lead fills whilst the second half is an epic wall of sound with pianos and leads. Nick's singing on this song is the best I've ever heard. Other favourites of here are 'Requiem': the albums heaviest song, its bonecrunchingly heavy verse demonstrates the crest of heavy metal today, I say. 'Praise lamented shade' is just incredible. It's four minutes of slow burn, gothic and splendid, with the albums best chorus. 'Beneath black skies' is another highlight. Its intro provolks images of midnight twilight, with deeper singing reminiscent of the 'One Second' style. Any reference to older material is a positive I say.
There are, however, a couple of songs where a new direction is hinted, where no trace of previous offerings can be found. 'Unreachable' and 'Fallen children' are such songs. The latter is particularly impressive and reminds me somewhat of 'Mercy' from 'One Second', although they really don't sound much alike. Perhaps the slow pianos are all they have in common.....
In summary: 'In Requiem' is a sure sign that Paradise Lost will continue with this unparalleled output for some time yet. Many suspected the end of the band after their excellent 10th, self-titled album, whereas others, like myself, saw it as more of a celebration of ten albums.
The first five songs are simply stunning, the albums second half is a mixture of more experimental and classy mid-tempo songs. Closer 'Your own reality' is fantastic with soaring leads and great singing.
Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Return to heavier pastures!, 29 May 2007
Mr. Paul I. Harrod "Rhino" (Bucks, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Requiem (Audio CD)
Paradise Lost are something of an anomaly, massive in Europe but criminally ignored by press and non-believers here in their home country. It's always been the case that we underappreciate our homegrown metal bands (with the honourable exception of Maiden)but with this, their 11th album, you'd like to think this situation will change - although I wouldn't bet on it. "In Requiem" sees them re-embracing the doomy, guitar heavy sound of their earliest work in favour of the much ridiculed Depeche Mode-style of more recent stuff (which was still bloody good by the way!) With a crisper production and Nick Holmes' vocals sounding better than ever this is at least as good as "One Second" or "Draconian Times" and hopefully this time around with a label in Century Media that understands this type of music as an initially good press we could see Paradise Lost finally get the recognition they deserve for being one of the greatest metal bands Britain has ever produced.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shades, 20 Jun 2012
ratmonkey (Hardy Country) - See all my reviews
Yet another very good effort from the lads! And yet again not a complete triumph either. This is similar to their self-titled previous release but with maybe a slightly darker tone.

The best tracks are 'Requiem', 'Unreachable' (these being my pick), 'Never for the Damned', 'The Enemy' and 'Beneath Black Skies'. The rest are all good but could have been slightly better. It is as heavy as their previous album, no more so, and sticks to the same formula.

Recommended but if you want classic then I'd point you to Shades of God, Icon or Draconian Times.

5.0 out of 5 stars In Requiem review, 16 Oct 2010
This review is from: In Requiem (Audio CD)
Paradise Lost have proven themselves again and again. They do it once more with In Requiem

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 19 Nov 2009
This review is from: In Requiem (Audio CD)
This has got to be one of the best albums I have purchased this year. Came cross this band purely by chance - if you are into sisters of mercy and within temptation then I can heartily recommend this band.

5.0 out of 5 stars PARADISE LOST are back?!? They really never went away!!!!, 26 May 2007
First of all, sorry for my English.

I have never found the time to write a review on amazon, but this time, I feel I must do it.

Well, I have heard many people say "PARADISE LOST are back"!!

So I ask you: have PARADISE LOST really been away?

I think no.I love all P.L. albums from ICON to IN REQUIEM.

Every PL album sounds a little different from the previous one the a little different from the next one. Every PL album proves they did ALL a band can do on GOTHIC/DARK/ELECTRONIC metal.

They lost many fans of their journey through music changes. But they never lost me.

I am sure everyone will like IN REQUIEM album and I am sure they will find many fans they lost years ago.

But let me tell you a thing: please listen with attention to this album.

You'll understand PL is the best metal band of the last 15 years.

And please go back and listen to ONE SECOND, HOST, BELIEVE IN NOTHING albums..

And you'll find these albums are not as bad as they seemed years ago.

Enjoy the paradise of metal.

Best wishes to everyone.