5.0 out of 5 stars A tough (coco)nut worth cracking
I felt moved to leave a review after I'd seen a review elsewhere suggesting that the ABO had lost their edge with this latest offering.
I read that review just after having placed my order via Amazon and was therefore awaiting the arrival of the CD with some trepidation.
Published on 7 Mar. 2010 by Barmee

2.0 out of 5 stars Gutted
Published on 27 Aug. 2010 by redmish

2.0 out of 5 stars Gutted, 27 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Coconut (Audio CD)
Has a fan of this band for quite a while I was really looking forward to this CD dropping through the letterbox. Imagine my horror when I had the first listen and could not recognise the band I was listening to. Gone is the raw vocals of the first two albums to be replaced with this horrible and stupid echo effect on the microphone on all the tracks. It is so bad that in my opinion ruins this entire album. There are songs on this album that I think could have been really good but are ruined by this effect. My advice would be spotify the album first and, if new to the band buy derdang derdang and fur before trying this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tough (coco)nut worth cracking, 7 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Coconut (Audio CD)
I need not have worried as this is as loud and edgy as ever. The boys may have 'matured' a little from their 'Cherry Lips' days for sure but they have not mellowed at all. Other than the (arguable) misfire of 'Hunt You Down' the rest of this album crackles just as their previous work has. The track from which the album derives its title ('Hoola') is a case in point.
If you have bought their stuff before and enjoyed it (as I am sure you would have) then this album, from a much under rated psych-rock-Garage band (in the old sense), won't let you down - it certainly does not let down the ABO.

The 2nd disc of this release is actually a DVD of all of the tunes on the main CD.

p.s. I don't know why they have their name however as there is not a member called Archie Bronson so far as I can tell!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dancing on the edge of a nightmare, 4 Jun. 2010
J. Macdonald (York, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coconut (Audio CD)
After the apocalyptic opening 2 tracks - droning chainsaw guitars, whiplash inducing bass riffs, desperate vocals - this album settles into a slightly less manic but groove laden mix of high octane metal beat music. Think Tom Tom Club on steroids & coke, chuck in some Hawkwind & New Order and then pepper with Motorhead's Ace of Spades -pretty terrifying really but will doubtless keep you awake on a dark night at the zombie ball.

Coconut
Coconut by Archie Bronson Outfit (Audio CD - 2010)